Quantcast
Bluetube vs art gold - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bluetube vs art gold
Old 2nd February 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Bluetube vs art gold

So i have a Presonus Bluetube with an upgraded tube in it (just a groove tube instead of the ****ty stock) but i was considering picking up an ART MPA Gold 2 and upgrading the tubes to some ruby's or something. I know both are low budget but its what im dealing with for now and Ive heard some good reviews on them when theyre upgraded. Any thoughts? Also just because were near the subject, im looking for a new mic. As of now i have A shure ksm27 that i dont like and i wanna get something decent for male vocals, acoustic and some crunchy guitar sounds. I was thining SM7b. I've always heard they were awesome and its totally in my pricerange, but im just not sure if its a smart investment due to the fact that i need it for a few applications. Thanks so much fellers. Oh and the music is in the rock/pop/alternative realm.

ant
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
get an sm7b . you will use it on just about everything with great results.

great on all types of vox, awesome on guitars ,good on accoustics , kik, snare , bass.

ps. it does need a decent pre for it to shine, but it has sounded ok through phonic pre's before.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The SM7B is a very good mic to have in your locker. Besides vocals, it does a great job on guitar cabs and is a great kick drum mic as well. I have also seen them (although I haven't personally done it) used on hihats and I'm sure would work just fine on toms as well. As for the preamps you mentioned, I only have experience with the ART line (specifically the pro tube channel), and while I don't like it as much as my Seventh Circle Audio stuff, or my vintage Langevins, it still gets used on some sources. Probably not a bad choice for those on a low budget.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
SM7b, yep, das right, all the way. Doesn't matter if you plug it into an old radio shack stereo it's still gonna sound great. Seriously though, my sm7b and my great river preamp are the best investments I ever made.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
thanks guys. how is it on acoustics? I kinda wanted to have something i can make something decent with but then again i do that now with have i have. I just thought it might be a step up. And i with the preamps what im looking for validation with is if it is actually a step up or not with the art. should i just stick with the presonus or try to go even maybe one more notch above the art. Thanks thought for all the replys. very awesome of you.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
if you want bang for buck and are handy with a solering iron
(or know someone) i would get a diy mic pre. jlm audio have great sounding pre's that are pro quality. i have this one JLM Micro1290 kit. its a neve style pre. there are a couple of cheaper ones as well under the "kits" tab.

DIY Mic Preamp Kits - Seventh Circle Audio also have had some great reveiws on their kits as well.

my sm7b into jlm 1290 is a great combo on accoustics, I cant find a source that this combo doesent sound good on or great!!!!

its a bit more money but you can almost garentee that if it doesent sound good its not your gear its you.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The ART MPA Gold is a big step up from the Presonus Blue Tube - specially after putting decent tubes in the MPA. The Blue Tube uses a starved plate circuit for the tube, which is about the same as adding a handfull of dirt to a clean signal. An upgraded tube is really just changing the flavor of the dirt. The MPA Gold (and Digital MPA) uses a full 300V circuit for the tube section, and a tube upgrade will make a significant difference in the quality of your signal. Even going with moderate JJ tubes, my Digital MPA became noticeably more open and clear. People have had even better results with Telefunken, Mullard, and other NOS tubes.

The SM7b is very versitile and definitly worth having in the mic locker.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I own both a Shure SM-7B and an Art MPA Gold. Both are great bang for the buck, but let me throw out one bit of caution: The main weakness that each has makes them, IMHO, not the best for each other.

The SM-7B is a fantastic mic. Its one weakness: it needs a lot of clean gain.

The MPA Gold is a great value and works well, especially with a tube upgrade. Its one weakness: it is noisy at higher gain settings.

If you buy the SM-7B, you might want to get a pre with a bit more clean gain available than the MPA Gold can give you. If you buy the MPA Gold, you might want to use condenser mics so you only have to run the Gold at mid gain levels.

Sorry to be a party pooper, but I've been down this road personally with this mic and this pre. Too much hiss for my tastes.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
for sure, get the SM7.

the art is a sweet piece, but if i were you, i'd check out that new dual pre from black lion audio. apparently it surpasses the RNP in at the same price range.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
wow this is awesome. thank you guys so much theres a lot to look into now. That definitely makes sense with the dirt, the arts pretty much in my price range so if i can find something that would work with with the Sm7b in that zone id be really stoked.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Here are a few questions for you:

1. Are you pretty much just using mics to capture voice and acoustic guitar (maybe electric, too)?

2. Are you capturing one sound source at a time, or two?

If you are just doing voice and guitar, and you are doing one thing at a time, you can avoid wasting money and time by just saving up to buy all of these at once:

1. A Shure SM-7B for vocals (and misc. other stuff). $350 new, less used.
2. An Octava mk-012 for acoustic guitar. $250 new, less used.
3. A decent quality mono preamp. Used Grace 101's go for $400 or less, and there are comparable other decent pres around that price range.

For about $1,000 total, you can get three pieces of gear that you will never feel are substandard.

If you are working on a budget, I would recommend not trying to buy two channels of pres. The only thing you will want to mic in stereo is acoustic guitar, and you don't have to do that to get a decent sound. In fact, depending on the circumstances and your room, you could be much better off (sound quality wise) just recording the acoustic in mono. I've had to learn that the hard way, too.

Good luck!
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
To answer number 1, yes. I will mostly be using it for my voice and acoustic guitar and prob some crunchy guitars.

2. I do enjoy multiple mic sounds for acoustic (12th fret and bridge) or some type of combination.

I have a mackie micro series mixer that i guess i could use if i wanted to double up some mics. My setup right now is The blutetube, into my 1010, into my pc. I run nuendo and have some good plug ins but i know thats not quite the answer. also I have like 6 channels off the mackie I could use but i try to avoid. They aren't horrible but something about them isn't settling. Maybe im being too picky but id rather do things as right as possible for my situation ya know. I think you might be right about getting a better single channel pre and 2 mics that are more designed for separate purposes. My friend just informed me last night that he has a 414 i could borrow whenever i had to do acoustic which is extremely solid of him so that would be cool until i can maybe save a lil more.
I'm not in a HUGE rush but i do want to get started. Im gonna be releasing some of my own solo stuff aside from my band and I just want the quality to be as close as i can make it to sounding pro. We make good recordings with really nothing but some 57s, drum mics, plugins and borrowed gear so i think just getting a decent step up will help a lot overall. I use the bluetube for EVERYTHING except for some line 6 stuff. And i just think that crap noise that eventually gets all over the track adds up and i don't like what im doing as much in the end. And id like to have my own decent mic for myself and thats why i want the sm7. sorry for the ramble i guess i just wanted you to see where i was coming from haha. I'm not really a gearslut but i wanna learn and i enjoy it. I mostly just sit there and try to make things sound the way i want them. thanks again for the help though, i wish i knew about places like this when i was destroying gear at 13 lol.

ant
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I have the ART Gold and have replaced the tubes with 1950's Mullards. I did do a quick test of stock tubes vs Mullard, will see if I can find it for you. The great thing about the ART is that it has variable impedance and high plate voltage which can really be used to affect the sound. I have always had good results from my unit, you can really drive the valves if you like, it also has a tube warmth meter. I often use the ART over the Avalon 737 if I want more valve sound because the 737 is way too clinical a lot of the time.

I personally think that they are great pre's for the money, mainly because of the imput impedance as it really opens up ribbons.
Old 14th April 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Yes! I have an ART MPA Gold on its way ...with NOS Mullards! And I'm going to pick up some Telefunken or Amperex tubes for different flava too! I can't wait to try it with my Peluso CEMC6 SDC mics on my Acoustic guitar. Should be Sweet. I am also guessing the ART MPA Gold will do well with 5 string bass via DI?
πŸ“ Reply