Quantcast
Fender princeton recording amp - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fender princeton recording amp
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Fender princeton recording amp

I played through one of these a few months ago was very impressed, I was wondering who is using these to record in the studio, and if they were noisy? Does the direct line out into a mixer have an amp tone when recorded? Do mics seem to like them?
Anyway, the one a played through had immediate 60's - 70's tone, just a beautiful vintage sound.
Before I drop @ a $1000 bucks for one, what's been the opinion on these?
Thanks,
steelyfan
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i don't own one, i record with a deluxe reverb but i am a member of the fender forum and you would be hard pressed to find someone there who dosen't like it for recording.
apparently extremely versatile for clean and dirty tones.
real tube reverb ect.ect.ect.

you should pose this question here if you have time to register or just serch there.
these guys really know their stuff.

Amplifiers - The Fender Forum
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I tried one of these out at the store when they first came out and was pretty underwhelmed. I own a vintage '66 Princeton and this new recording version sounded really anemic in comparison.

I don't mean to bash the newer amp, but everytime I've compared a vintage Fender vs. a new Fender there's no question that the older amp has a more musically pleasing and interesting tone that inspires me to play.

Personally I'd seek out a used 70's Fender Princeton and have it recapped (filter caps and signal caps...with Mallory 150's), and have the speaker replaced with a new Weber. Fender did not change the design of the 70's Princeton so there's no bad design changes to undo. They did use a bunch of crappy components, hence my suggestion to recap everything. If you can solder, then this is an easy afternoon job. I think the end cost will be well under $1k.

Brad
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan ➑️
I played through one of these a few months ago was very impressed, I was wondering who is using these to record in the studio, and if they were noisy? Does the direct line out into a mixer have an amp tone when recorded? Do mics seem to like them?
Anyway, the one a played through had immediate 60's - 70's tone, just a beautiful vintage sound.
Before I drop @ a $1000 bucks for one, what's been the opinion on these?
Thanks,
steelyfan
Every time Ryan Adams has been in, that's what he brought.

My first call guy, Rob Bailey uses one a lot, although since I have similar amps, he usually brings something else.

Small amps can be great for recording.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey ➑️
Small amps can be great for recording.
Yeah, there's a lot of people who say that. But why?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I had a '64 Princeton as my main studio amp when I could only afford one amp. It had a sweet, musical tone and was clean enough to take the tone of whatever effects you put in line. But I prefer a similar-vintage Deluxe now and the Princeton is now over at Gary Greer's Austin Trax (OT golly does he have some great amps over there).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapeOp ➑️
i think this mostly applies to small tube amps although not exclusively.
the reason is that you can drive the tubes hard without blowing out your eardrums or get rattles from everything in the room. you can get good saturation in a more controlled way.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I have one and like the power attenuator, verb, compressor, overdrive, mic out, and versatle tones. The amp had problems crapping out that are covered on the Fender forum. I have a ritual for turning off all the footswitches before I power down, and I don't ride the power attenuator above 95% for more than an hour- Problem solved. I agree, it would be better if a few mods were done. The amp also works well for small gigs. It handled an SRV style all knobs at ten encore tone for an hour without fault.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
get the blackfce reissue, or a vintage silverface.
and lots of pedals (menatone recommended for amp sounds)
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I love the vintage blackface Princetons. They all sound different though due to age, modifications, and even the fact that Fender was not always consistent w/ the components they used.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
That's info for Tape Op USA only!

I think it has to do with hitting a mic diphraghm with less air - think about how easy it can be to morotorboat a Coles, but at a lower volume that's either less likely or not going to happen. So you can run the small amp set for a wide open/full power sound, but not stress the mic the way you would with a big amp.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It also cuts down/out speaker distortion. I know that some people love it, but that doesn't always mean it translates well.
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks to everyone who took time out to reply and give me thier opionions and experiences. I trust my own ears and really like the sound of this amp, but I will be using it alot, as my primary practice and recrding amp. Hope it handles effects (fuzz ,chorus, delay) pretty well.
I'm gonna take a day soon and go out and play through some others as well, see what the differences might be. I like the mid-range of this amp, seems rich and bright, but i don't want effect pedals to sound too nasty.
Any other suggestions in this style of amp, any other users?
Thanks again,
steelyfan
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I owned a '66 Twin- all tube 100 Watt amp with two JBL's- post Leo. I paid $550 back then! It wouldn't say it sucked but it was a big disappointment for me.

It's too bad we don't respect older folks the way we seem to respect older amps....

Sorry for going OT but... ...the new Twins are better than 'that one'.

I like the Princeton Recording amp but I'm judging from sound clips I've heard online.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
well im really partial to my deluxe reverb. i put nos RCA long plates and black plates in it but it sounded good with the groove tubes too. it takes pedals really well and it has great natural tone.nice tube reverb & tremolo. it's got good power but if you turn the treble and bass down to 2(as they are power interactive), you can drive it about 6 without blowing your head off and it records really well there. just a sweet little amp.
if they have one there, you might want to try one out.
it's the most recorded amp in history apparently, according to the fender forum.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Great! Thanks for the info and the heads up. I'll be looking into everyone's recommendations.
Ya know, this is going to be for recording only so I wonder what's out there that's cheaper than the Princeton, something smaller.
I know that smaller amps cranked can sound really nice, plus it keeps noise down to just a realistic recording volume.
Plus I use alot of pedals, needs to play well ,but I love that vintage sound.
Needs to be a tube amp for sure.
Something @ $500 would be nice.
Thanks, Steelyfan
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan ➑️
I played through one of these a few months ago was very impressed, I was wondering who is using these to record in the studio, and if they were noisy? Does the direct line out into a mixer have an amp tone when recorded?
I just used one recently. Check out "Shake The Blues" - the Tele was recorded via the Direct Out on my Princeton Recording Amp.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't mean to push this post in a different direction, but what other small amps would you look at (in comparison to the Princeton).
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I found an old Gibson amp my partner* had sitting around. Not sure of the model but my amp guy told me it was a '61. Has a little 8" speaker. No tone control-just volume. I had it recapped and gone over. I tell ya it's awesome on bluesy stuff. A little too fuzzed out for rhythm but for lead guitar it rules. Only about 8 watts but still plenty loud. Wish I knew the model number but it isn't on the amp. It's a really cool rig.

*I just moved up from Atlanta and I feel weird saying 'partner' lol. It meant something completely different down there! Not that there's anything wrong with that mind you.......
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Doug, I'll check out your track tonight when i get home. Thanks for posting.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
princeton

we have an old one we use all the time....LOVE it!

ours is a 1961 princeton reverb with the old brown tolex... all original, speaker, tubes & caps... it is our go-to for vintage sounds.

best part, a native american friend found the amp and an old 57 gibson in an old barn on the reservation in Arizona... traded a 50cc motorbike project for the both, we bought the amp for 350. I bet he could sell that guitar for a bundle right now.

I don't know about the prinny reissue, we have the 65 deluxe reverb reissue that has been treating us just fine so far!

Now to find a 60's fender reverb!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigfrog ➑️
we have an old one we use all the time....LOVE it!

ours is a 1961 princeton reverb with the old brown tolex... all original, speaker, tubes & caps... it is our go-to for vintage sounds.
I've got one of those. There's no reverb on a brown tolex princeton, but they are awesome amps.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooey ➑️
I've got one of those. There's no reverb on a brown tolex princeton, but they are awesome amps.
I also have one with tremolo...

But the speaker just deconed last week end..

Anybody knows what speaker i should buy ?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes - a Weber ceramic 10". I would recommend the 10F150. From the Weber site:

For mid 60's amps using ceramic 10's where very strong punch and tight low end is needed.
Replaces Chicago Jensen C10N and Oxford 10's.
10", 40oz ceramic magnet, 25 or 50 watt, 1-1/2" voice coil, ribbed cone.
Bold, big bottom, later/smooth breakup, aggressive.

I have their older version of this (used to be called C10N) in my vintage Princeton. It totally slayed the stock speaker (Oxford?) that I had replaced...much more dynamic and 3D sounding. Actually now that I think about it I may have the 10F125-0...which was the C10R. Both are great speakers. I have the 12F150's in my Twin Reverb.

Brad
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan ➑️
Yes - a Weber ceramic 10". I would recommend the 10F150.
I've tried a couple different Weber speakers in mine over the course of about 10 years. A signature 10 ceramic, a signature 10 alnico, and older P10N. For me, it's tough to find a nice compromise between too bright and too dark. The P10N was way too dark, and the signature ceramic too bright.

I guess I should have shelled out for one of the Weber non-signature brands! But I'm only out $40 total for the two signature speakers (used).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Those cheap signature series do not sound anything like their more expensive brethren. Go straight for the Vintage series.

Brad
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Another very satisfied Weber user here. I did several YEARS of research before I bought my AC30 (took a while to save up - poor college student syndrome) and I saw testimony after testimony of long-term vintage AC30 owners replacing their blown, original silver bulldog speakers (they weren't always blue!) with Weber's top end stuff. Pretty unanimous that the Webers were more true to the originals than the new Celestion Blues though just about everyone thought both speakers were great.

I don't think ANYONE would replace the old ones just for fun, but any speaker that can even be in the same discussion as the original AC30 bulldogs is pretty cool in my book.

But of course it always comes down to preference, taste and lots of "YMMV"s.

Quote:
As a student of human psychology, I'm guessing some (a lot?) of it has to do with expectations...as in you see a huge 100W Marshall with two 4x12s attached and expect it to sound big...but this little 8" or 10" speaker? Nah...

...until you plug it in.

Although FWIW I think a lot of "small amp fans" hook said small amps up to 4x12 cabs.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I ordered a 12A125A for my Emery Microbaby. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow, so we'll see if I made a good choice or not. I think it will be an appropriate combination. The Microbaby is very vintage, in the Champ/Princeton family. Those can tend towards a lot of low end. The 12A125A is supposed to have a tighter low end, which will hopefully counterbalance that.

I think that'll be good for recording, but we'll see. You never know how these things work out. I also bought a faceplate with Fralin Vintage Hots, which many people drool over. But they ended up just not being a good combination with this amp in the end, after all the money I spent, and the month I waited for delivery.

Given the boutique nature of this stuff, it's not very practical to try before you buy. There's about zero chance of finding someone with a Microbaby with that speaker and a Strat with Vintage Hots near me so that I could by and try it. So I guess the only way forward is Trial by Credit Card sometimes.
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've been thinking about it, and i would like to find something less expensive for now. If I could get The Princeton for @ $500 or $600 I'd jump in, but for now, Maybe I'll look at some of the 5 or 10 watt fenders, has to be tube, and hopefully tremolo and reverb.
Not sure on what model yet?
Something with a 60's - 70s's sound.... ???
And not noisy. My old fender stage solid state ROCKS, and sounds good loud, but man, for quiet stuff, lots hummmm..humm.. and a forest of hissingsssss.... snakes... unusebale for records.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by feyshay ➑️
I don't mean to push this post in a different direction, but what other small amps would you look at (in comparison to the Princeton).
Victoria Regal 2
Dr. Z
Bad Cat
Carr
Allen amps

I just love my Victoria regal ll....very versatile and great for the studio. Most of the boutiques guys give you a lifetime warranty. Built like a tank and the point to point wired stuff is easy to service.
Forget the printed circuit board stuff....my 2 cents
πŸ“ Reply