Quantcast
Will rock band U2 save Olympic studios, London from closure? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Will rock band U2 save Olympic studios, London from closure?
Old 2nd February 2009
Will rock band U2 save Olympic studios, London from closure?

I just heard chatter that Rock band U2 might be interested in buying Olympic studios.

That would be great.

They were working there recently and got to like it (or so the gossip goes..)

Old 2nd February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Since the U2 building was put on hold, as I read it, they probably have some extra cash. Maybe they'll save a piece of recording history instead of making a new one (with the floating orb studio that was supposed to be on their building).
Old 2nd February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules ➡️
I just heard chatter that Rock band U2 might be interested in buying Olympic studios.

That would be great.

They were working there recently and got to like it (or so the gossip goes..)

Cool, they´d have $$$ to do that. Actually wonder why Stones haven´t been up for that idea.

Jaakko
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
cuz it's poor investment. The building is leasehold.....
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Got to love/gate the UK. Probably one of the only countries left in the world where you don't own the land your property sits on.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredSerpent ➡️
Got to love/gate the UK. Probably one of the only countries left in the world where you don't own the land your property sits on.
is that true? I'm pretty sure most of Europe is the same... it's all freehold or leasehold? Eiterh way - yup, UK land is still in the "old" families....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➡️
is that true?
I have no idea heh

But I know it's true for Denmark, and the Canary Islands
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
is that true? I'm pretty sure most of Europe is the same... it's all freehold or leasehold? Eiterh way - yup, UK land is still in the "old" families....

God Bless Amaerica!!!

PS . .. I rent . . .

🎧 15 years
but there's different forms of leasehold....my maisonette is leasehold...that means I pay £50 a year to the landlord, and that's about it. A leasehold flat (unit) in a block HAS to be leasehold, unless each owner owns a share of the freehold..which then involves committees to decide everything...and having had friends in this situation, that can be more hassle than it's worth.

But it's a real shame about Olympic. You might hope that U2 have enough money that they can be swayed by sentiment instead of investment potential.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
No such thing as Leasehold in Scotland, not Freehold come to that; although we do have Feuhold, which is pretty much the same thing.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
well, if they did i might stop giving them such a hard time!

i dearly hope that olympic is saved and preserved. a lot of my favourite music and recordings were played and made there.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I think that in The Netherlands there's some cases where you don't own the land also.

I hope that U2 save the place thumbsup
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
How so? Myself and most people I know who live in a house (not flat/apartment), own the land it sits on too. My architect has reliably informed me that we could build as many basement storeys as we like down below too (presumably till we surface in Australia, then maybe we'd own that (again) also). heh

Re: Olympic, a rescue would indeed be fantastic. Though as I live down the road, I was hoping my garage would fill the local studio void
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In London? I don't think so thumbsup

Even the land Westminster Palace sits on is privately owned.

As for Olympic, well I can't pretend I'm familiar with the place but all these studios shutting down is a crying shame, so it would indeed be uber cool if they bought it.
I might even stop thinking Bono is a prime nob.

Well, for a day or two.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
In London? I don't think so thumbsup

Even the land Westminster Palace sits on is privately owned.

As for Olympic, well I can't pretend I'm familiar with the place but all these studios shutting down is a crying shame, so it would indeed be uber cool if they bought it.
I might even stop thinking Bono is a prime nob.

Well, for a day or two.
The Duke doesn't quite own the lot (or his company)! There's not room for this discussion here... but most of us are freeholders and own the land we live on. By percentage of coverage though, it's a scandal how much is owned by so few!

I'm expecting a government-financed bailout of the studio industry, nationalisation for EMI anyone? Or Bono for Prime Minister....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by divingduck ➡️
I'm expecting a government-financed bailout of the studio industry, nationalisation for EMI anyone? Or Bono for Prime Minister....
Ha ha lol.

I have a rather wry smile on my face when I hear all these folks complaining that their jobs deserved to be saved, car makers and the like. What makes their carreers more important than ours?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Probably the only difference is they have more lobbyists, and politicians who owe them a favor, etc.

Worry not however, because if the Government, for example, takes over Olympic Studios, I'm sure it will become a paragon of efficiency, especially business-wise... since the government is SO GOOD at managing everything they touch!

/sarcasm
//is that even NEEDED?

Hope U2 buys it!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by infopimpster ➡️
Probably the only difference is they have more lobbyists, and politicians who owe them a favor, etc.
Dammit, I knew Blair's wannabe rock-star past would have been useful one day heh
Deleted bd1be4f
Not to put too fine a point on it, but technically no one who lives in a country where there are property taxes really owns the underlying land. For those who disagree, try not paying your property taxes and see if you still "own" the land...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
That's right, the whole lease system hardly exists in other European countries.

It's a pity no UK government is brave enough to implement land reform.

Santiago
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 ➡️
Not to put too fine a point on it, but technically no one who lives in a country where there are property taxes really owns the underlying land. For those who disagree, try not paying your property taxes and see if you still "own" the land...
Of course in practise that is true, failing a plebiscite, but strictly we pay Council Tax for the provision of local services, on the value of the buildings. There are no land taxes for freeholders (except for stamp duty, but again not a tax on the land per se). Then again, any constitutional rights we think we have are about to be further laughed away with the Heathrow compulsory purchase orders.
An Englishman's home is his (highly vulnerable) castle heh
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago ➡️
It's a pity no UK government is brave enough to implement land reform.

Santiago
Mugabe for PM!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't care who owns the land or the building. I think that U2 HAVE to buy it. They maked so much money the last 7 years with there "sorry, ****ty, records" that its a payback time to the new musician's / producers right know.
Big studio's have to be going down in 90's/2000 to NOT invest in new music, bands and producers (we already hearing the last 15 years the same ****). And putting all the money in equip and studio.
The bands that make money know have to keep alive the new musician's. Believe me. Big studio's are out, small studio's with great sounding rooms are the next big thing with a small pt-hd and some pre-amps.
We are going back to the 50's / 60's time with 2010 technology. Its works for me the last year.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Mugabe for PM!
Erm, there's a line between reforming the laws that govern ownership of land and the kind of lawless land-grabbing like Mugabe has done.

For instance, by making leaseholds illegal (or taxing those who own the land that the lease is taken on), huge landowners would be forced to either put the land they own to productive use (including renting it) or otherwise sell it.

Leaseholds make the property market inefficient by discouraging building renewal and trade. Abolishing them would make the market work better.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Of course in practise that is true, failing a plebiscite, but strictly we pay Council Tax for the provision of local services, on the value of the buildings. There are no land taxes for freeholders (except for stamp duty, but again not a tax on the land per se). Then again, any constitutional rights we think we have are about to be further laughed away with the Heathrow compulsory purchase orders.
An Englishman's home is his (highly vulnerable) castle heh
the thing with freehold - you don't truly own it in the sense you own land in Cyprus or Greece. When you die if the inheritance tax isn't paid on the value of the land/property then you have enforced sale. Freehold is, to all intents and purposes, ownership - but there are certain underlying facts that mean your land can be taken back by the government at any time.

Compulsory purchase order applies to Freeholds too - as you noted. If you OWN the land, a compulsory purchase order has no effect in legality...
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Erm, there's a line between reforming the laws that govern ownership of land and the kind of lawless land-grabbing like Mugabe has done.
I know, twas but a jest! And hopefully there's more than just a line between the two...we know what our government is like with sticking a foot or two over lines....

Quote:
For instance, by making leaseholds illegal (or taxing those who own the land that the lease is taken on), huge landowners would be forced to either put the land they own to productive use (including renting it) or otherwise sell it.

Leaseholds make the property market inefficient by discouraging building renewal and trade. Abolishing them would make the market work better.
I believe it's nigh on impossible to create a new leasehold; there has been reform and in residential cases share of freehold must be offered. (This was my understanding a few years ago when a friend was taking his freeholder to court to force purchase of the freehold - he was successful).
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
the thing with freehold - you don't truly own it in the sense you own land in Cyprus or Greece. When you die if the inheritance tax isn't paid on the value of the land/property then you have enforced sale. Freehold is, to all intents and purposes, ownership - but there are certain underlying facts that mean your land can be taken back by the government at any time.
Inheritance tax applies to all assets though - if you left your collection of M49s to your kids and they couldn't get the probate together for the taxman, they'd be commandeered and sold in the same way for the same reason. It's not a question of ownership per se. Without inheritance tax there'd be more inherited land ownership, both on the large scale (though they generally know how to manage their assets through trusts, companies, etc to circumvent it) and smaller scale with fewer families being forced out when the owner dies. YMMV

Quote:
Compulsory purchase order applies to Freeholds too - as you noted. If you OWN the land, a compulsory purchase order has no effect in legality...
I think compulsory purchase orders do not question ownership, but they are just that.... a compulsory purchase by the state that transcends legal ownership. Any country could do that. We have better safeguards against it than many, and the legal fight over Heathrow (and surrounding area) is only just starting. I'd fancy my chances against our government over the Greek (for e.g.) in the same situation (or even the North Cypriot administration )

Are we back on topic yet?

I think the government is closing Olympic as it contravenes their edicts over copyright in advance of the Games...heh Only the other day I texted someone to say I'd be on the 20:12 train from Waterloo and my phone was instantly swiped by a shady dude in dark glasses.... watch out
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
We're putting our faith into the hands of Bono people.

If only some people living inside the studio were starving and impoverished, then we'd be guaranteed it would get saved!

Yes, I'm a jackass, I know this.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoAtLast ➡️
We're putting our faith into the hands of Bono people.

If only some people living inside the studio were starving and impoverished, then we'd be guaranteed it would get saved!

Yes, I'm a jackass, I know this.
i'll catch a flight and squat in there!

starving and impoverished i can do.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrichie ➡️
i'll catch a flight and squat in there!

starving and impoverished i can do.
Problem is, the Indian restaurant opposite has a cheap lunchtime offer on, so starvation may take a while heh
📝 Reply