Quantcast
Studio upgrade time....advice/suggestions?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio upgrade time....advice/suggestions??
Old 2nd February 2009
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Studio upgrade time....advice/suggestions??

Alright forum members I need a little advice here. I've been on the other side of the glass most my life but am now looking to expand my home rig into a full studio capable of tracking bands as well. My current setup is as follows iMac, pro tools mbox2, focusrite trakmaster pro mic-Pre, rode nt-2 microphone.

So far my plan is to buy a digi002 for the 8 inputs, and since the 003 released they are cheaper and prettyeasy to come by out west. Is a controller really necessary or am I buying basically a big mouse that wont help my overall sound. The help for workflow would be nice though...control24 worth buying? Or am I better off spending money on a better mic-Pre(suggestions?). Also on my list would be power conditioners(furhman maybe?) and some moe plug-Ins possibly. I get a pretty good sound as of now but am hoping someone knowledgable can guide me to make it better. My budget is roughly $5,000 so nothing too pricey. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks
Old 2nd February 2009

11 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
first question:
are you bedroom producer? or mixing engineer? did you invest a cent in acoustics?

cheers
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Well, I've been in studios for 10+ years but started in the business as an mc. Toward the latter years began making tracks and engineering mainly because I sawthe longevity not to mention more $ was behind the scenes. I attended the recording workshop in 2003 as well as a bachelors in digital musicproduction. However I do midi work mainly in reason through pro tools but also do live recording of percussion and acoustic guitar too. Not to sure what category I would be placed in these days. All I know is that I get a good sound and I work hard and learn fast.

My setup is in my garage that was soundproofed and has a 8 by 7 vocal booth built with many ofthe tips/blueprints from sites such as this one. My new setup will be completely indoors using a monster walkin closet I will treat and setup for recording.

Well hope the info helps.....mainly a gear based question though.
๐Ÿ“ Reply