Quantcast
Focusrite OctoPre with ADAT card??? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focusrite OctoPre with ADAT card???
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is this still about an 8 Channel preamp with ADAT?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik ➑️
I tried the unit with the adat option. While the pre warms up a bit that way, I still prefer using the pres with a mogami dsub-trs going into a patchbay that allows me to use a Rosetta as the converters....'thin syndrome' gone...still not an ISA pre which I have and love, but they are usable for at least toms and under snare and stuff...
Which ISA pre? and do you use it with their ADC?

GS Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonsqueezer ➑️
Anyone going to make an actual suggestion?

I find myself in a similar position to the OP, so would like to know myself.

So far we have don't get a Platinum. Narrows it down a little, but not much.

If money were no object this would be a different thing entirely.

Tricky to do it within the budget, and that's why the Octopre and similar type stuff exist.

They're not the best options but they fit a price point and fill a need.

Two channels with converter for $1k, there's definitely gonna be some compromise.

Maybe a Black Lion Audio Sparrow and an FMR RNP would be a good bet. Two good channels and decent AD conversion and it should be near the budget.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have the ISA220 and I use it with a Rosetta for drums or guitars and with a Mytek converter for vocals and bass.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I have the ISA220 and I use it with a Rosetta for drums or guitars and with a Mytek converter for vocals and bass.
Thanks. Just the one pre though for the price....though it is a more of a channel strip. How do you get on with the comp and EQ?

I was considering the ISA one.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm not quite sure what you're asking when you say "how do I get on"? If you're asking if I like it or if the price of the unit is worth double with the addition of not only very transparet compression, but also a band each of sweepable high and low-pass filters, 2 parametric bands that are incredibly flexible as well as 2 shelving bands, a de-esser that works well and a limiter in the unit, I'd say that yes, this unit is the best channel strip under $2k...heck, I'll take it any day over a 737 or LA-610....easily. Tube pres for me are only useful(unless we're talking about Manley) for so many sources where as well built solid state ones that add color and 'pretty' harmonics are great for EVERYTHING. Tubes, unless they are extremely linear ones, tend to ruin transients in ways that, to me, are really only useable for room mics, bass & vocals. For everything else, which is a whole lot more sources, I love the tranny style design. They tend to be much quicker with transient information, cost a whole lot less, you still get great results and the maintenance on them is really a thing of the past unless you believe in zenering. Don't get me wrong, tubes in a guitar amp head or an EQ or compressor is awesome and I myself use a 4-channel TL-Audio Ivory series pre that I swapped all tubes out of and I tend to use for room mic'ing and toms and these tubes do well on those sources, but I tend to blend in samples in with the captured track for a bit more attack so I might have just contradicted myself - lol...anyway, yes, I love my ISA and wish I had another for stereo applications. Actually, the unit I've fallen in love with recently is my Alpha VHD by SSL....duality pres, 4 channels, VHD knob, input and output control....they are awesome for drums and bass and even guitars. I'll stick with my tube pres for vocals though...

Ok, now that I'm way off base, hopefully someboday got something from all that...lol
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Very helpfulthumbsup

The Alpha channel is available with digital I/O.

Not sure if it has the same pre.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's all relative to what you do and your needs.

I am actually selling my one as I have a Toft ATB24 at home now and no longer need it. The pre's are no better in the Toft to my ears. Take from that what you will.

I had a Roland VS2480 at home. I added an Octopre with ADAT digital option giving me 8 channels of pre and of course bypassing the Roland pres and A/D converter.

The difference was stunning. The improvement over the existing pre's and conversion was huge. I could finally track drums at home the sound was much, much fuller, punchy and airy.

Returning hi-end outboard reverb through the Roland was a joke..it sounded terrible. Adding the Octopre and returning all the effect through it instead totally cured the problem.

I have no problem at all using one on any project, I have tried and own lots of much higher end pres. I can't comment on the limiters as I never used them.

I bought my one from my friend who is top free-lance pro-tools engineer. He used it for many high end projects and only has praise for the unit.

It is absolutely fantastic for the money. 8 channels of good clean pre with an 8 channel 24 bit 96Khz digital out for Β£500 secondhand?

Β£8000 for two channels of vintage Neve? I can absolutely guarantee you the price difference is not relative to sound.

I know Focusrite get knocked on here, but I honestly believe that the Octopre is one of their best products taking into consideration cost over quality and usability.

It can definitely vastly improve a lot of systems out there.

PS. They in no way runs hot at all and it has always been perfectly reliable.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is that a question Lemon? There are no digital outs and nor does it offer any since the unit is already 4 pres in a 1U unit. To add the ability to pop in a card and offer conversion as well, the unit would probably have to be 2U, just like Focusrite's ISA428 and then they'd have to change the front facia as well to account for more frontal view available at that point. This is a good unit at well and since it has the digital option which allows for 8 channels of digital, I know people that buy the ISA unit for the 4 pres, they get the card, and then they get themselves the Alpha VHD and patch those into the line in on the back so that all 8 pres have digital conversion. Lots of folks don't realize that those line inputs exist, but they're there as XLR in's and when adding the adat card, you give yourself in fact 8 channels of conversion.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

The Alpha channel, comes with Digital I/O as standard
GS Community Manager

Quote:
The Alpha channel, comes with Digital I/O as standard
Digital O, yes, no digital I other than to receive clock.

It's a nice-sounding box for not a lot of money, plus you get an EQ. I have two, and one of the only reasons I didn't suggest it is because the OP wanted at least two channels, this is just one.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

Well I am confused now
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Does the OctoPre have digital input?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The unit I have is the VHD, not the channel, the channel has a fixed ratio compressor and yes, this one has a spdif out, but the Alpha VHD, has no digital outs....the 'channel' would not have been the one I was talking about since I was talking about adding 4 line inputs to the ISA428.
GS Community Manager

Quote:

Well I am confused now
The "Link" in connects the limiters so they can work accurately on stereo material if you're using two of them at once. It's an analogue connection as far as I'm aware. Any phono cable will do it.

The SPDIF in is ONLY for clock. If you want to run the unit at anything other than 44.1khz you need to slave it via that input.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What I want to know is whether its worth buying an ACP88 to go along with the Octopre. Does the circuitry in the Presonus warm up the pre at all or does it diminish the quality in some way. I know for live, these 8-ch Presonus units are awesome. They've got compression and gating on every channel. Just trying to get feedback in regards to the octopre and acp88 together in the studio....hit me back...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Does the OctoPre have digital input?
No, I don't know of any pre-amp that has a digital input. Why would you want one?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station ➑️
No, I don't know of any pre-amp that has a digital input. Why would you want one?
Lol...no of course not on a stand alone pre.....I miss read a post, I am dyslexic....sorry for creating confusion.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
s'ok..just wondered heh
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
The ISA 828 is one of the best values in mic pres available today. You get 8 high quality pres with transformers for around $3k. The power supply is nice and beefy too. They are clean, but with just a touch of "transformer iron" color which helps them sound really solid on drums.

The octapre is definitely a step down, but honestly, quite useful considering how affordable it is. If you don't run it overly hot, it is a straightforward and predictable workhorse. It doesn't offer any enhancement, nor is it pristine enough to be called a classical pre, but it really doesn't get in your way either.

We use several in a portable recording rig that does a lot of concert video, and if you watch MTV, Showtime, or use the on-demand services from your cable company, you've probably heard them. On the truck gigs we use different pres, but the racked rig uses octapres and we've never had complaints or been disappointed in that application.

To balance the above comment, however, it should be mentioned that we have a different remote rig that we use for tracking records when the client desires a location away from the traditional studio. In that case we use the ISA 828, and augment with API, Neve, and an original ISA-215 (the best piece to ever carry the Focusrite name if you ask me) as required. So yes, the octapre is capable, and very competitive in it's price range, but no, it doesn't stand up to true high end gear.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station ➑️
Not the same thing, but the 828 has additional line inputs to the optional ADC card so you don't have to go through the mic pre circuitry if you just want to use it as an A to D converter (I don't have the AD card, so I can't comment; I use an Aurora in the remote rig). I can't imagine what use digital inputs would be to a mic pre, however.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcleardaze ➑️
On your Fireface 800, you've got 4 preamps and room for 6 more through it, so perhaps a good 4 channel pre might do the trick for you, such as the Sytek MPX-4Aii (you can Google it and find their website) or if you can swing a few hundred bucks more, the Focusrite ISA428.
this is exactly what I have. my ISA 428 runs into the FF800 via the ADAT card. I also have an ADL600 which runs into two of the FF inputs. plus I can use the 4 built-in pres on the FF for other stuff, giving me 10 pres. it's great.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
What I want to know is whether its worth buying an ACP88 to go along with the Octopre
Personally, I wouldn't.
πŸ“ Reply