Quantcast
What do you do when you ears crap out at 14K? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What do you do when you ears crap out at 14K?
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
where can one get a downloadable file that goes up to 18+k ? theres a free file in tips and techniques but only goes up to 300hz.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory ➑️
where can one get a downloadable file that goes up to 18+k ? theres a free file in tips and techniques but only goes up to 300hz.
Buy Mosquito Ringtone
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Just say "I'm going for that classic Sun Studio sound!"
Lives for gear

May sound funny but actually can be a HUGE change!

1-Did you ever cleaned your OREJOTAS (ears) with a professional???...

if the answer is not. go figure..youare 52

What are you waiting for? go to a professional yo check it and clean it!
Check your ears every year..and maybe you have stucked some cheesy there!
That would change your world!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For the record, going to an audiologist isn't going to do much as far as high freq testing is concerned. Clinical audiometers max out at 12.5k. A standard hearing evaluation will only test up to 8k. Hearing aids only amplify to 8k ...barely.

It's sad, as far as our profession/hobby is concerned; but hearing assistance is more concerned with your ability to hear speech signals, fidelity is an after thought.

That being said, it's a good idea for everyone to get a hearing screening anyway.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
For the record, going to an audiologist isn't going to do much.
My last hearing test was about 7 years ago for an advanced scuba certification. I think they tested to 16 or 18 k. It's free for me so I think I'll do it just out of curiosity, and maybe watch how the numbers change every 5 years or so.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Get your ears syringed.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcfarlane ➑️
My last hearing test was about 7 years ago for an advanced scuba certification. I think they tested to 16 or 18 k. It's free for me so I think I'll do it just out of curiosity, and maybe watch how the numbers change every 5 years or so.
Interesting...

I've got a very current audiometer right in front of me, and it only goes to 12.5k . Attached is a pic of a very typical audiogram. (p.s.- this chap's in bad shape!)

As you can see, the graph only goes to 8k. You'd be hard pressed to find a template online with a graph that goes beyond 8k.

Not saying you're wrong, just saying that from career experience, I've never seen a testing device with the ability to administer calibrated analysis at those frequencies.
Attached Thumbnails
What do you do when you ears crap out at 14K?-audiogram.gif  
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcfarlane ➑️
Man..check your ears and clean them!
Belive me I have tons of friends that do that and is just crazy the detail we can lose because are dirty!...if you ever had a big infection is pretty much sure that there is some crap stucked inside...
They can clean them with may different way..and do not try to go with a Qtips very deep..is dangerous!tutt
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➑️
take the tissue paper off your NS-10s
badumbum

[ ]
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules ➑️
I heard about a theory that a cricket batsman (and perhaps baseball batters?) are unable to actually follow the path of fast balls thrown towards them because the speeds are simply too fast for the human eye. Instead, the theory suggests they make 'location prediction' judgments split seconds after the bowler (or pitcher) lets go of the ball and just kind of 'wing it' from there..

How does this info tidbit relate to mixing? There will be info available to you that IS within your hearing range that will be clues to whats going on OUT of your range... I believe that brain gathers this info well enough for mixers with high frequency hearing loss to keep working.

I think if you 'wing it' by using your instincts with some some a/b checking here and there - you should be fine. That's what everyone else does.

Sure get tested and be aware / inform yourself of deficiencies if you like, but I wouldn't say that was compulsory.. Don't get too hung up on the negatives..

After all you have a lot of experience behind you.. That will count for a lot and assist you to 'wing it' perfectly well.

That's my *tuppence*..

I think there is never going to be a substitute for cold hard experience. A newb that can hear up to 25KHZ still won't get as good a result as an experienced pro whose hearing tops out at 15K, so it's probably a lot of fuss about very little.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Pretty much agreed.

But I think those of us (like me) with high end hearing loss do have to be extra vigilant.

I just think about those Rudy Van Gelder remastered CDs I bought a while back. I was able to compare at least one or two tracks from earlier CD releases of the same tracks -- which I went out of my way to do, since, from the word go, the then-new RVG remasterings (of sax/horn oriented albums) that I bought all sounded too bright. Anyway, when I compared them to the earlier 'original' masterings, yep, they were subtantially brighter. It just didn't sound right to me. RVG is a god of engineering, to be sure, no question a figure rightly revered, but, well... I felt like maybe the other people on the project let him down by not having a heart to heart with him...

And then there was that live Rory Gallagher record that the hard-drinking god of blues rock guitar mixed himself in the mid-80s. I put the vinyl on and was horrified -- it sounded like a blinkin' transistor radio, it was so shrill and wildly over-compensated at the high end. I put it through a 12 band EQ I had at the time and when I was done making it sound right, the sliders were, like, in an S-curve, boosting bass and attenuating the wild overabnundance of treble. I started using ear plugs after that when I played with amps and drums. (For a while, anyhow. I'm bad. One of those guys who never thought he'd make 25 and yet somehow is now a senior citizen... with all the scars and infirmities one gets along the way living like he's going to kick off any day.)
Old 21st February 2009 | Show parent
VRS
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
The way I see it, if you can only hear to 15k, you're only losing about half an octave out of the 8 or so you should ideally be able to hear. Couldn't be that big of a deal.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…