Quantcast
Looking for quality amp/cabinet selector. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for quality amp/cabinet selector.
Old 1st February 2009

🎧 15 years
Looking for quality amp/cabinet selector.

I have 6 heads and 2 cabs I'm looking for really goood selector piece. Something that will handle the load so I can have all 6 amps on at the same time and both cabinets.

???

I've heard Little Labs has somethinng like this.
Old 1st February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd check out the Radial stuff. Their gear always seems very solid and performs well.
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
I'm confused by the Radial site.

What I need is something I can plug out of my speaker outs on my heads and plug into the unit, and plug out of the unit into my 2 cabs, and toggle between heads and cabs effortlessly without the heads losing a place for the load to go.

I do not know if I'm explaining this correctly but I think you guys get it???? I hope.
Old 1st February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo ➑️
I have 6 heads and 2 cabs I'm looking for really goood selector piece. Something that will handle the load so I can have all 6 amps on at the same time and both cabinets.

???

I've heard Little Labs has somethinng like this.
I have a similar situation and once talked to an engineer friend about designing a piece like this. I'm not sure it exists. Sort of an amp-cab guitar patch bay (maybe with an effects loop). All the amp inputs would have a dummy load wired in, right? Let's get it built.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamike ➑️
I have a similar situation and once talked to an engineer friend about designing a piece like this. I'm not sure it exists. Sort of an amp-cab guitar patch bay (maybe with an effects loop). All the amp inputs would have a dummy load wired in, right? Let's get it built.
yup

I already own this:
Voodoo Lab - Amp Selector

Do not need an amp selector.
Deleted bd1be4f
The closest thing I know of is the Radial Tonebone units. However, for what you want, you'll probably need two different units--the Cab-bone and the Headbone. The Headbone allows you to switch between two different heads into one cabinet, and the Cab-bone allows you to take that signal and switch between two different cabs.

Not sure if there's anything out there that allows you to do all of it with more than two heads or cabs in one box.
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto ➑️
Bob Bradshaw has re-issued his amp switcher:

Amp Selectors

It can't toggle between cabs, though. You could hook your cabs in parallel, but each amp would always go through both cabs.

I've never seen a switcher where you could switch between multiple amps AND multiple cabs.

You could always use the CAE, then get a Radial CabBone to switch the CAE speaker out between each cabinet.
Nice, I think that's the ticket James is looking for. The CAE into the Cab-bone. thumbsup

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Amp Selectors

It can't toggle between cabs, though. You could hook your cabs in parallel, but each amp would always go through both cabs.

I've never seen a switcher where you could switch between multiple amps AND multiple cabs.

You could always use the CAE, then get a Radial CabBone to switch the CAE speaker out between each cabinet.
Thanks, that's actually cool, I'm not concerned with cabs, mainly I want all my amps on, throw a couple of mics in front of the cab and go back and forth with amps as I listen in the control room.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Would the SPL Transducer work?
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Lucas Deceiver...Best.....Period!!

The Lucas Deceiver

Not to get off topic but James, how is that Herbert compared to the Uber??

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdude ➑️

The Lucas Deceiver

I'll check it out.

The Uber is cool but the Herbert has hate in it's heart. \M/ Herbert is KING!

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Rack Mount Guitar Amp Selector?

take a look at this thread
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
cool

FWIW James this will resolve four of the heads but you would need 1 more unit to take care of six and would still have to unplug the cabs to use the other 2 heads
Quote:

The Lucas Deceiver

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonslave ➑️
FWIW James this will resolve four of the heads but you would need 1 more unit to take care of six and would still have to unplug the cabs to use the other 2 heads
I think 4 will be OK.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I've seen exactly what you're looking for before in Guitar Center for their Ampeg amps. It has two knocked knobs one which is for the heads, the other for cabs. http://www.bazaar-world.com/guitar-amp-353-Ampeg-System-Selector-8-amps-in-8-speakers-out.

Good luck finding one though.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That's the model I was talking about in the other linked thread. Keep an eye on ebay and do weekly craigslist/google searches. Lets not overhype these simple boxes and drive the prices up. Like I said in the other thread, I got two for under $25 each with the shipping costs figured in and sold one at cost to another slutz member. Ebay has an email notify feature you can use to cut down your search time.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

Amp Selectors

that's the one you need James.

1 guitar input, 4 switchable amp in/out loops, 1 speaker and 1 line output.

what a great piece of gear! i want one!
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Looked at the price of that Bradshaw box and started choking, $1500. While I'm sure it's spectacular, I can't see spending that much money for something all of us need to do in the first place, exercise (get off our butts and plug in a cord). I'm guilty of spending $25 on a box where I can take the ouput of one of 8 heads/amps and route the signal to one of 8 cabinets. I still have to physically get up and plug in the guitar/bass in one of the 8 heads/amps inputs. The point of that arrangement is you can either easily try out different head/cab combinations or stick the cabs in an ISO and have the heads in your control room/live room for those benefits. Is the extra convienence worth the extra $1475? I'm just thinking about what else I would spend $1475 on (insert your joke here). I know this is "GEAR"slutz so I've put on the nomex for the flames coming my way LOL.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Patch Panel

You could have Redco make you up an XLR panel with XLR-f connectors on the top row for amps and XLR-m on the bottom row for speakers and pigtails to TS mono plugs from the back using 16ga and short xlr cables for patch cables.

You could also make up a few Y cables for multing.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHilbert ➑️
I've seen exactly what you're looking for before in Guitar Center for their Ampeg amps. It has two knocked knobs one which is for the heads, the other for cabs. http://www.bazaar-world.com/guitar-amp-353-Ampeg-System-Selector-8-amps-in-8-speakers-out.

Good luck finding one though.
I actually have one of those!!...They;re great!!
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just watch out with patch bays and certain amps (not only just tube) as they must have a load (be connected to a speaker) when they are on or you will damage them.
Old 8th June 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I actually have one of those!!...They;re great!!
I actually have one, too. Just be careful... Those Ampeg units aren't meant to be switched "live" like the CabBone is. I always at least put the active amp on standby before switching cabs. I could see some bad business going down if you switched cabs on the Ampeg unit with a 50-watt head cranked up.
Old 8th June 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo ➑️
Two suggestions:

1. Commission Bob Bradshaw (Custom Audio Electronics) to make what you need, or settle for 4 amps + 1 cabinet and get his stock "Amp Switcher." Bob has designed and wired all of my pedalboards and guitar racks over the years, and the price tag may "seem" high at first, but after you've travelled all over the place with your rigs always working (and noiseless!), you realize that the few extra bucks was worth the peace of mind that a pro needs. Highly recommended!!

2. Call Radial Engineering to inquire about "AmpPatch"--it's a single rack space amp & cabinet switching patchbay. I saw it at NAMM 2009 and it will supposedly switch multiple amps AND cabinets, with a protective load. It looked hip, but the chassis was empty. Maybe there are some obstacles to doing it right.

Don't screw around with anything of dubious specs or quality--unless you want to fry your amps.
Old 8th June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I have one of the Ampeg switchers, killer for having things easy to switch out but you DO need to put the amps on standby...
Old 15th August 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Never used one of these myself, but stumbled upon it and sounds like exactly what you're looking for:

Welcome to Sound Sculpture, Creators of the World's Finest Midi Controlled Rackmount Switching System for Guitar, Bass, Synth, Mixer, and other Stage and Studio Applications

All those digital menus scare me which is why I'm about to order a Lucas Deceiver, but the sound sculpture units no doubt seem to offer a lot more flexibility.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on and how it works out.
πŸ“ Reply