Quantcast
1/4 inch half inch?? should I? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
1/4 inch half inch?? should I?
Old 1st February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
1/4 inch half inch?? should I?

Hi ive been thinking about getting an old 1/4 or half inch for running master mixes trough before bringing back into the daw for completion to add some warmth. My question is, is this really beneficial and does it add some nice grit and warmth? Should i get a 1/4 inch or a half inch, i dont want to get a 2 inch. And why? thank you..
Old 1st February 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
A 1/2 inch or 1 inch 2 track would be the way to go, but get ready to spend some money on maintenance and tape. These decks will definitely bring some warmth to the table if they are calibrated right. The reason for the wider tape width is that there is more surface area to record to which will equal better quality in most instances.

TW
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
though 1/2" and 1" will be quieter, 1/4" is not a bad option. I even know a couple guys who prefer the sound of 1/4" over 1/2". I'm on my second 1/4" and I quite like the sound...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound ➑️
though 1/2" and 1" will be quieter, 1/4" is not a bad option. I even know a couple guys who prefer the sound of 1/4" over 1/2". I'm on my second 1/4" and I quite like the sound...
1/4" has more noise, but otherwise It's not seemed to me to have a different "sound". Can you elaborate?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky ➑️
1/4" has more noise, but otherwise It's not seemed to me to have a different "sound". Can you elaborate?
To me it's more punchy, compressed. I notice the width especially on drums.

It is also too noisy for my taste.

2 cents.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
1/4" rolls off on both extremes a little sooner than 1/2". On my machine, 1/4" will roll off starting gently at around 40hz, whereas 1/2" will be more like 25hz. This is also affected by speed. 15ips will buy you a little more down there.

There is also a different headbump. If I'm not mistaken, my machine's bump on 1/4" is at about 125hz, where 1/2" is at about 50hz - again varying with speed.

The most palpable difference for me though, is that 1/4" is a bit more squeezed and aggressive in the midrange. This can be a great advantage on lots of material. I can't speak reasonably about all machines, but this is a characteristic of my A80.

A lot of the great old british records were 1/4" 15ips CCIR - a wonderful format to be sure. But, 1/2" is arguably a bit more "hi fi", I suppose.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
thanks for the input, now i gotta look into getting a deal, but i know i may be able to get one for free just cat remember if its 1/4 or half either way if its free its good haha. thanks guys.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound ➑️

Hi Tony,

I actually prefer to mix down to 1/4 inch width running at 15. As you know this imparts more tape sound.

The 1/2 inch can be slicker sounding to my ears. Even more so at 30 ips.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Dark Side of the Moon was mixed to 1/4 inch.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
^^^well that says alot...Nothing wrong with how that album sounds.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by the keester ➑️
Dark Side of the Moon was mixed to 1/4 inch.
I have a friend that said the guy that mixed that album got paid about $1000 for his work. Back to the subject, I have a Otari 1/2" 4 track 7.5/15/30 ips. It would run about $2000 total maybe more to ship overseas. Glenn.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
yea id love to take but im only in my ireland studio for a few months of the year as i live in LA and dont have a fulltime studio in LA just yet. thanks though.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
1/4 inch is fine, but don't go back into digital. Finish up on tape, then hand it to the mastering dude.
'
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…