Quantcast
Is There Such A Thing As A "GOOD" Portastudio? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is There Such A Thing As A "GOOD" Portastudio?
Old 3rd June 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I purchased a Fostex MR8 MKII for remote recording. Its very portable and will run on batteries and has phantom power. No its not a true start to finish device but perfect for arrangement and ideas and of course remote tracking. Its also very easy to use and inexpensive. The down side is no on board EQ and small flashcard capacity. It has been discontinued in this country but some old stock is still available.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
+1 for laptop & interface combo

Hard disk recorders are nice, but I have to say... I'm a fan of the laptop + interface combo. I've been incredibly happy with my 13" MBP (4GB RAM) and the (Focusrite) Liquid Saffire 56. Very sturdy set-up and I haven't had any hiccups yet. It IS still a computer, so little things are expected, but far so good! I cannot stress how awesome the 2U + laptop hardcases that are out are. Gator makes one, but I was recommended to check the SKB "2U Flyer". Picked it up from Walmart (suprisingly!) $50 cheaper than the music stores and I don't think I'd ever go back to Gator.

Just food for thought. Many, many paths to go down in the porta universe.

Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I started out years ago with a 4 track tape rig (anybody remember Scully?). Then came digital recorders, and I ran the Roland Gamut. When the Boss BR8 came out I tried one and bought it, then the VS840, CDX1, VS1680, VS1824, and now use a VS2480. I don't use it's pres and converters and I mix to Masterlink and to tape, sometimes flying tracks to a PC to mix OTB, but it's a great hard drive recorder, conducive to getting things done neatly and quickly, and I don't know what on EARTH I'll do when it dies. They're not making any truly serious large MTRs anymore.
I suppose I may go back where I started, back to the old tape days. Wouldn't suck once I got over the ease of editing I had with the MTR

Last edited by Arlo; 3rd June 2010 at 06:24 AM.. Reason: Easier than with tape
Old 4th June 2010 | Show parent
roc
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I give up I'm getting a DAW

Apple iMac
Logic Studio
Apogee Ensemble
Euphonix mc mix & mc control.
Done
Now I can finaly stop living in the past and record some music .
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I used a Roland VS 840EX for many years, and did an album called "Carnival Sky" on it. One of the songs from that record was on a MTV show recently, so the idea of these boxes not measuring up to "professional" level is silly. A great recording can be made on nearly any kind of gear, I think. I didn't read the whole thread, so sorry if this is a repeat, but I know that Sufjan Stevens either used to or continues to track his records to a Roland VS, and then mix in PT LE.

That being said, I grew to hate that machine! The sound is great...the pre's are totally usable and some of the efx are actually really interesting sounding. The problem is that it is such an idiosyncratic device that can be nearly incompatable with other modern equipment. For example, if I want to get the tracks from my Roland VS into my new Logic Studio through the Ensemble, I have to import those bastard tracks ONE by ONE in REAL TIME!!

But to the OP, I would recommend getting one of those new multitrack microrecorders if you don't want a laptop set up. However, a Duet and MacBook Pro would have you very pleased.

Phaedrus
More cowbell!

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I have a pretty sizable studio/rig, and just bought a Tascam DP-008. Tossed on a small ipod speaker w/thru phones, got a short XLR to an Oktava MC-012 on a short kick drum mic stand, and have the whole thing on a tiny folding tray beside the bed. I get ideas all the time when sleeping, kicking back online, etc. It is a very useful writing rig, I can get everything out fast, clean, and easy 8 trks at a time. Since I tend to hear music mostly already arranged, having the 8 trks lets me sketch/thumbnail my ideas in quick, broad strokes as fast as I can think of them. In my business, that is a huge asset.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Metric Halo has it down, worldclass sound in package the size of a laptop.

Why mess with junk that is just going to be obsolete, a decade later your Metric will still be relevant and you will listen back to old recordings and smile at the absurdly good sound.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
uh, but you still have to use a computer with the metric halo... so that totally negates the ease a portastudio brings.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
We all just use a Powerbook, fits into two laptop bags, sets up in 1 minute.

Been doing it since 2003, rock solid, there really is no smaller footprint anywhere that compares to the power and sound quality of a +DSP loaded 2882 package.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Original 144 is good ..has good sounding electronics.
πŸ“ Reply