Quantcast
Sonnox Plugs - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sonnox Plugs
Old 1st February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Sonnox Plugs

I'm looking for some sound EQs and mastering style plugins. I've been hearing a lot about the Sony-Oxfords (the inflator and EQs interest me) but I wanted to see what you guys think of those. What would be some good outboard gear equivelents?

Thanks again lads.
Old 1st February 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
And by equivalents I mean what would they compare to in terms of outboard gear? If you have any solid though reasonably priced outboards to refer me to that'd be great as well.
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Sonnox Plugs cannot be transfered to other accounts without a lot of hassle (sorry Off Topic)

FWIW Massenburg and Flux Epure II thumbsupblows away the Sonox EQ (Sonnox forces you to pay extra for the GML option).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have all the Sony Oxford plugins and love them !

The EQ sounds modern , very pleasing to the ear , down side though not much color if your looking to add mojo to the sound like you would with an API boosting freqs .

The EQ is VERY flexible and surgical , you can dial it in to fix anything .

The Dynamics sounds great and has a nice gate I use alot . The compressor is really good on the 2 buss , its pretty transparent making things sound like they're not compressed . Really smooth sound , more of the modern sound than old rock n Roll sound .

The Reverb sounds amazing too sooooo many options and emulations . I use the EMT verbs and its got a built in EQ .

Transmod is awesome .

The Inflator I have used alot on the 2 buss and it can make things LOUD , but lately I like my 2 buss without it and just use it on individual tracks . It was killing too much dynamics for me but I'm not a ME so I try not to Master my own stuff .
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
First I heard of the Flux series of plugs. I'm reading about them now and it all seems pretty sound. I'll hit up the free trial of both the Epure and the Sonnox and do a little comparison. Neither are inexpensive (well at least for me at the moment) so I'm going to go full out in trying these bad boys out. Thanks again for the info.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Another thing is that Sonnox support is a pleasure to deal with. Their upgrade pricing is superb and I always get an answer from an ACTUAL PERSON within 24 hours or so. Try that with some others... hehehehe
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just got the reverb, which I find makes for a great contrasting companion to Altiverb.

The limiter's cool too, but the GUI is a little strange. It's a little bit alarming to "push" the volume past zero, instead of "pull" the threshold down to meet the signal; a little counterintuitive and off-putting. But the sound is fantastic.

- c
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist ➑️
Another thing is that Sonnox support is a pleasure to deal with. Their upgrade pricing is superb and I always get an answer from an ACTUAL PERSON within 24 hours or so. Try that with some others... hehehehe
Their support is outstanding! Like their plugz!
Old 1st February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I own most of the Sonnox plug-ins, except the limiter and the reverb.

Many people are more pleased with the UAD Precision Maximizer instead of the Sonnox Inflator. The Sonnox EQ is very clean with a ugly user interface For a very good EQ I would not get the Sonnox, try Flux EpureII.

I use this days only the Sonnox Dynamics. Today I would think twice before buying the Sonnox Bundle or some of this plug-ins.

Last edited by 4damind; 1st February 2009 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: typo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4damind ➑️
I own most of the Sonnox plug-ins, except the limiter and the reverb.

Many people are more pleased with the UAD Precision Maximizer instead of the Sonnox Inflator. The Sonnox EQ is very clean with a ugly user interface For a very good EQ I would not get the Sonnox, try Flux EpureII.

I use this days only he Sonnox Dynamics. Today I would think twice before buying the Sonnox Bundle or some of this plug-ins.
who is more pleased with the precision maximizer? for a very good EQ you would not get the sonnox?

today you would think twice? why? you are a sampling, hobbist, making beats/techno in your bedroom... it doesnt matter what you use, or?

common.. more real info, less feelings.

thanx!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4damind ➑️
Many people are more pleased with the UAD Precision Maximizer instead of the Sonnox Inflator. T
I've had the Sonnox Inflator and a UAD card way before UAD PMax came out and when it came out, I demoed it and couldn't justify getting it considering that I already have Inflator and that the PMax was also a monstrous dsp hog. The only advantage that the UAD PMax has over the Inflator is that it has a considerably better sounding multiband mode which also doubles the dsp load.

As far as I know the Inflator and the UAD PMax are the only two plugins of their kind out there, are there others that I'm not aware of?? It has been mentioned that Voxengo VariSaturator is of the same purpose but it doesn't do the job as good though.

As for the OP your looking for mastering styles plugins, I would consider looking into FLUX and PSP.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There is a difference which harmonics primary are added (odd or even). There is a thread in the UAD Forum, showing which harmonics are added by the Inflator and the Precision Maximizer.

Both can split the bands (split mode or 3-band mode).
PM has a built-in limiter and Inflator has this "Clip 0dB" (is this a brickwall or a softclipper?).

However, both sounding different.

[addendum]
The UAD Forum is unfortunately currently very slow/down, I can only get this from the google cache from the thread "Precision Maximizer - Harmonics":

Precision Maximizer generates more tube based harmonics
Precision Maximizer generates higher harmonics like tubes do!
Precision Maximizer generates 7th order harmonics when it should not

Inflator generates a more even slope of harmonics like tubes do!
Inflator focases more on even-multiple harmonics (octaves), 2, 4, 8, etc
Inflator generates more 2nd and 3rd order harmonics (a major triad) than PM

Last edited by 4damind; 1st February 2009 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: addendum
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
i love all the sonnox plugins, they're just right! they got my standard tools from day one.. the only time im using something different is when i need a more color from a eq or plugin. the sonnox plugins are really clean..!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I own all of the Sonnox plugs and they are my go to's for allof my projects.
I usually use the dynamics plug at the final stage of my 2bus.
Deleted bd1be4f
All of the Sonnox plugs are great, but in particular the dynamics plug is one bad mammajamma. It routinely beats out some of my hardware comps when looking for the right comp for the job. If I could only keep one Sonnox plug, that would definitely be the one. thumbsup
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
The reverb is one of the few plug in verbs I like, if you dig into some of the Lexicon and other preset emulations it gets even more interesting. All of the plugs are good though.

War
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I absolutely love my Sonnox EQs and dynamics. Use them all the time. They can be ultra clean and clinical or sweeten things up (e.g. the GML EQ). They use very little TDM space, too. Great plugins!

Greg

Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
the few times I had the chance to compare plug ins and outboard they always sounded quite different. For dynamics it really is hard to beat outboard for some applications (specially when you need to push a bit more). But don't worry about comparing. It is not important. If it suits your songs this is what matters. Sonnox allow you to demo their plugs if you have ilok. Have a go. I also don't believe that they are better or worst than UAD etc. Sometimes UAD sounds better in certain applications, Sonnox in others. They are all intruments and should be used as such. Is a Gibson better than a Fender? etc No, they are different. They do have a great advantage of being native if you muscle in your computer. I think you will like them, I really like mine, and yes, the support is great. Only needed once, but very helpful and polite.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have all the Sonnox plugs. Had them for a year and am still figuring out how to tweak them and discovering new uses. (Well, I've only had the SuprEsser for a month). They're the only plugs I use except some amp sims and VintageWarmer. I'm sure I'll buy more someday...

If you demo them, get the manuals and study them. They're pretty informative and will help you understand what the various sliders and buttons are intended to do. The reverb alone has a gazillion adjustments.

If you just load up the plug-ins and play with them you'll likely miss a lot of the power. Consider demoing them one at a time and spend a day or two working with it so you can focus on the experience.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcfarlane ➑️
If you just load up the plug-ins and play with them you'll likely miss a lot of the power. Consider demoing them one at a time and spend a day or two working with it so you can focus on the experience.
Wise advice!

- c
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have owned them for a few years.

The only ones I really use are the Dynamics and Limiter.

The others I could do without.

Their desired results are best achieved with other means IMHO.

You might have a different experience.

P.S. The eq good but I prefere the interface of other eq's. Once again this is only my perspective.
πŸ“ Reply