The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Just bought an MCI 416b for $800.
Old 10th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyt ➑️
If they are unbuffered, you won't have anything between the motherboard and the meter. If your meter has a little circuit board attached to it with a couple of components, its buffered.

Thats the easiest... when I get home tonight I'll take a couple pics of mine just for reference.

Again, step slowly with power, just because someone wrote a diagram doesn't mean its right. I've learned to never assume anything!

Does the 400b series have 48v stock, or was that added??? I don't think the 500 series had switchable stock 48v until late the late "C"'s
I'll have to check my meters. I'm not sure what they have. The diagram looks like it came from the factory that way. I wasn't sure about the phantom power either. There's definitely some kind of phantom power connection on the barrier strip but I don't see any means of switching it on or off on the front of the board. If that's the case I'd probably just not use it and use a standalone unit out in the live room for the few condensor mics that I use.
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i had one,
sold it for parts, but i still have 2 of the PSUs.

you could make smaller bi-polar +24v +48v powersupplys and sell each channel strip.
thers important "upgrade" information in the mci service bulletins
but i dont have any more the schematics or service bulletins.

was about:
how to change the hi shelf from 7k to 12 or 16k,
7k good for male vocals, but bad for everything else,
16k sounds soo sweet.
and the low shelf too if i remember.

also the ground upgrade in the master channel, important.

some channel strips with low serial numbers less than 800 or 1000 i think, have a noise when you move the freq. or gain switchs/potentimeters.
easy to fix with i think 100k resistors in the switched potentimeters.
but cant remember details.

micpre overload was sweet.

connecting the +48v phantom from the PSU to the console electric panel, also important.
all 3 PSU are exactly the same.
they all have +48v but cables has no wires for it.
must make the wires yourself.
you must use a multimeter to measure where are the +48v pins in the PSUs.

the only thing i didnt liked, appart from the 3 band eq, was that original plastic parts broke verry easy, and the hard to get "circular" mci 2001 op-amp.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint ➑️
I'll have to check my meters. I'm not sure what they have. The diagram looks like it came from the factory that way. I wasn't sure about the phantom power either. There's definitely some kind of phantom power connection on the barrier strip but I don't see any means of switching it on or off on the front of the board. If that's the case I'd probably just not use it and use a standalone unit out in the live room for the few condensor mics that I use.
Ahhh I misread that... Could be factory, I'm not a 400 expert. I'm sure you'll get an answer pretty soon though.....

Thats what is great about GS.

I'm learning everyday!!!!!

Yeah, from what I've seen, you couldn't turn phantom on/off per channel until 500c (although I've not seen it on a C) I have seen a 400 with that mod though. The cool thing is, they are so cheap now, you can really mod them to suit ANY work flow!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Grounding....
Thats something that can't be discussed enough!!!

Does putting a big ground buss bar across the whole thing REALLY cut down on that much noise???? Was it drilled into the board or just soldered?

I still don't completely understand that one.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
On our 556d, you pull up on the channel gain control to turn on phantom power.
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Unless someone did something different, you should see a barrier strip to wire the power supplies to the console. All the power supplies I've seen have the drab brown MCI paint job on them, should have some markings somewhere on them, at least say Ft Lauderdale on them???
My psu's look very similiar to the pics in this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by space2012 ➑️
i have 2 mci jh-416:B psu for sale, i guess they work in any JH-400 series.
any offers?
shipping is verry heavy
from south america.

someone could buy 2/4 channel strips only, and use the PSUs.
those are verry high quality regulated -1% and with 0.005% ripple, bi polar +-21 , +-24v , specs dont show +48v, but there is +48v "phantom" somewhere in the pins.
So it would appear that they are original MCI 416b psu's. They also look to be in good shape but could probably use a recap as well.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Anybody know where I can get Cinch Jones cables/connectors and how hard they are to come by? How much?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Heres a couple pics of the MCI meters... Yours might look different, but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Just bought an MCI 416b for 0.-mci-buffered.jpg   Just bought an MCI 416b for 0.-mci-buffered2.jpg   Just bought an MCI 416b for 0.-mci-no-buffer.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Speaking of recaps... I'm right in the middle of a power supply recap on my 528!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Just bought an MCI 416b for 0.-mci-pwr-sply.jpg   Just bought an MCI 416b for 0.-mci-new-caps1.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Anybody know where I can get Cinch Jones cables/connectors and how hard they are to come by? How much?
I bought like a thousand Cinch Jones connectors....

What do you need? 8pin? 12pin? 15pin

I took one set of my power cables and cut one set short, so I've got like a 12ft set, a 20ft set and the 30+ft cable set.

Just kinda nice if you have the power amps next to the board and you don't want 50pounds of cable wound up next you!!!!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I bought like a thousand Cinch Jones connectors....

What do you need? 8pin? 12pin? 15pin

I took one set of my power cables and cut one set short, so I've got like a 12ft set, a 20ft set and the 30+ft cable set.

Just kinda nice if you have the power amps next to the board and you don't want 50pounds of cable wound up next you!!!!
To be honest with you, I don't know. I'm not sure how many pins I need. I know that they don't have to be very long as I plan on placing the power supplies not more than a few feet from the board. I know that the outputs on the back of each power amp have a total of 18 individual pins so that's like three 6-pin connectors right?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Heres a couple pics of the MCI meters... Yours might look different, but you get the idea.
So the meters on the left are buffered and the pic on the right isn't buffered? My VU's don't have any kind of little circuit board on the back like the meters in your pic on the left. How would I go about getting something like that and/or making the mod myself to buffer them?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think you'd need 3 18pin male CinchJones connectors...
One for each power supply.. I've got a few spares!!

Just cut 10ft off the cable you've got now and wire up the connectors!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
So the meters on the left are buffered and the pic on the right isn't buffered? My VU's don't have any kind of little circuit board on the back like the meters in your pic on the left. How would I go about getting something like that and/or making the mod myself to buffer them?
Yeah

Check this out for more buffer info...
VU Buffer kit page

Hey this is good info!!! Next time someone buys an MCI this will be a resource!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I think you'd need 3 18pin male CinchJones connectors...
One for each power supply.. I've got a few spares!!

Just cut 10ft off the cable you've got now and wire up the connectors!!!!
How much do you want for those spares? Or would it be easier to just find a few on ebay or at an electronics supply store? I guess it sounds like I'd need three of the 18 pin connectors. Even if I don't use all 18 pins on each connector, I can always use the ones I need and just not hook up the extra individual wires.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yeah

Check this out for more buffer info...
VU Buffer kit page

Hey this is good info!!! Next time someone buys an MCI this will be a resource!
Yeah, there's been a ton of good info on MCI stuff in this thread. Thanks for the help. I've still got so much to learn. At least my board appears to be in really good shape and I already know how to solder. When I get a chance I'll try to take a few pics.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yeah, there's been a ton of good info on MCI stuff in this thread. Thanks for the help. I've still got so much to learn. At least my board appears to be in really good shape and I already know how to solder. When I get a chance I'll try to take a few pics.
Even if you know how to solder, its a good idea to practice on an old board. Getting the solder temp right and all that stuff. I've found the traces on these old MCI boards come up WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!!
BE CAREFUL

email me and I'll get you some 18pins connectors for shipping...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Even if you know how to solder, its a good idea to practice on an old board. Getting the solder temp right and all that stuff. I've found the traces on these old MCI boards come up WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!!
BE CAREFUL

So what temp do you solder at on your board? Hey thanks, I'll email you and we'll set something up. Thanks.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I also plan on buying a solder sucker as well for all of my recapping that needs to be done. So I need a good solder gun, solder sucker, multimeter, solder, a ton of caps.... What else am I missing? Any recommendations on type of solder, solder gun and sucker, caps, etc?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
BE CAREFUL

Oh, by the way, I know that you said you used to own a Neve and a couple of Tridents. How do you think your MCI compares in sound to those? Do you like it more or less? I know that they're different sounding boards so it might just be comparing apples to oranges, but which do you like the most overall. Although I'm just getting my feet wet on the whole MCI thing, I really like the sound on albums that I know were done on 400/500's.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Oh, by the way, I know that you said you used to own a Neve and a couple of Tridents. How do you think your MCI compares in sound to those? Do you like it more or less? I know that they're different sounding boards so it might just be comparing apples to oranges, but which do you like the most overall. Although I'm just getting my feet wet on the whole MCI thing, I really like the sound on albums that I know were done on 400/500's.
Yeah, Tridents are great for rock, just like the MCI's. The Trident TSM is still one of the most impressive looking and functionally useful mixers ever.
The 80b is just a fantastic tracking console.

One day I realized the amount of hits that were recorded on (some say in spite of) MCI and I just became a fan... I still think JH24's look ugly though....

Its like a whole methodology though, if you dig tracking bands in a room (hopefully without headphones) and aren't into a million overdubs, you'll love the 400.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yeah, Tridents are great for rock, just like the MCI's. The Trident TSM is still one of the most impressive looking and functionally useful mixers ever.
The 80b is just a fantastic tracking console.

One day I realized the amount of hits that were recorded on (some say in spite of) MCI and I just became a fan... I still think JH24's look ugly though....

Its like a whole methodology though, if you dig tracking bands in a room (hopefully without headphones) and aren't into a million overdubs, you'll love the 400.
This is exactly how I like to work. No phones, all in one room, little to no overdubs. Glad to hear you think the 400 is great for this because this is exactly the kind of use I was hoping to get out of it. Pm'ed you by the way. Thanks again.
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtoonz ➑️
Look for Chris Nash (hangs out here on GS) - he did some service on my board and he's really fantastic.
thanks for the plug tim, i appreciate it! oh, and look for an email next week regarding a little 400 tip/trick i discovered bro!

Quint, check your pm's.

-chris mara
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
We've been modifying our 416B over the last little while by removing the original 2001 IC opamps and replacing them with Custom built (by us!) Class A discreet opamps. The pinout is exactly the same. So far we've done most of the channels and the summing amp section. Let me tell you that this brings the MCI 400 series consoles into a whole new league sonically that will blow your mind. The general fatness of the board is preserved (most of which is in the massive iron anyways), but the lows have tightened up significantly and the highs (and especially the high boost EQ ) sound way smoother. There's an openness that was never there before.

I've always liked the JH400s even with the 2001's, but those 2001's can get pretty cranky/ugly sounding when hit hard and these Class A opamps that we've built don't. We will be making these opamps available by the summer.

Philip

Welcome to sage electonics
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnash ➑️
thanks for the plug tim, i appreciate it! oh, and look for an email next week regarding a little 400 tip/trick i discovered bro!

Quint, check your pm's.

-chris mara
www.nobraineraudio.com
You're more than welcome sir. Apologies for getting your freakin' name wrong!!!

I was obviously remembering your GS name "nash" instead of Chris MARA (who just happens to be in NASHville).

Got it straight now! Just finished mixing a new CD of tunes on my 416 and I think it sounds darn good. The board is behaving very well (knock iron, er, wood).

Hope you and the studio (and the family) are doin' great.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip S Bova ➑️
We've been modifying our 416B over the last little while by removing the original 2001 IC opamps and replacing them with Custom built (by us!) Class A discreet opamps. The pinout is exactly the same. So far we've done most of the channels and the summing amp section. Let me tell you that this brings the MCI 400 series consoles into a whole new league sonically that will blow your mind. The general fatness of the board is preserved (most of which is in the massive iron anyways), but the lows have tightened up significantly and the highs (and especially the high boost EQ ) sound way smoother. There's an openness that was never there before.

I've always liked the JH400s even with the 2001's, but those 2001's can get pretty cranky/ugly sounding when hit hard and these Class A opamps that we've built don't. We will be making these opamps available by the summer.

Philip

Whooooaaaaa
That sounds way to cool to be true!!!!!
I must know more about this!!!
Any plans on doing 2002 or 2003s?????
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip S Bova ➑️

Philip

Yeah, I'm interested in these too. My board is full of 2001's. Although I wanna get it up and running first and see how I like it as is. Still, that's very cool news to hear.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I hate you Phil

Be prepared for a visit... and maybe some thievery...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi, I talked to Mr. Bova about these chips, he is a very nice guy.
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Is there any more info about these chips?
πŸ“ Reply