The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jules/Atticus/Thrill et al: DAC-1 vs. Mini-DAC?
Old 2nd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Jules/Atticus/Thrill et al: DAC-1 vs. Mini-DAC?

I thought all my agonizing was in the past - i was just about to pick up the phone and get the DAC-1 from my pro audio dealer for the fine price of $699...

Then Ruphus had to open his mouth, when he PM'd me that I might want to wait a month and check out the Apogee MiniDAC. Without the USB features (which I don't need) it would probably be only $100 more.

Obviously, not too many people have heard this piece yet, since it's still vaporwear. But Ruphus said the Apogee engineers are saying that it may be sonically a step up even over the DAC-1, and that their Beta testers are raving about it. (Now THERE's an objective source to ask about Apogee - Apogee engineers! )

Anyway, the features seem similar, although the MiniDAC has the obvious advantage of being a 192kHz converter. I'd be using either one as a tabletop model, so the rack ears on the Benchmark aren't a big deal to me, although I admit the Benchmark looks cooler.

I'm curious if the Apogee headphone pre is in the same class as the Benchmark. The Benchmark has the edge with two headphone jacks, but I'm sort of used to only having one on the mixer anyway.

I'm not big on specs, but they appear really close. The Benchmark does have +29dBu output vs. +24dBu for the Apogee.

So.... what d'yall think?????
Old 2nd April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I can't answer the question at all. Obviously you would know my choice. But lets just say that I would LOVE to do a shootout with the minidac. I would show up with bells on. Big bells. Big, jitter immune, non mini bellsheh
Old 2nd April 2003
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Re: Jules/Atticus/Thrill et al: DAC-1 vs. Mini-DAC?

Quote:
Originally posted by littledog
I thought all my agonizing was in the past - i was just about to pick up the phone and get the DAC-1 from my pro audio dealer for the fine price of $699...

Then Ruphus had to open his mouth, when he PM'd me that I might want to wait a month and check out the Apogee MiniDAC. Without the USB features (which I don't need) it would probably be only $100 more.

Obviously, not too many people have heard this piece yet, since it's still vaporwear. But Ruphus said the Apogee engineers are saying that it may be sonically a step up even over the DAC-1, and that their Beta testers are raving about it. (Now THERE's an objective source to ask about Apogee - Apogee engineers! )

Anyway, the features seem similar, although the MiniDAC has the obvious advantage of being a 192kHz converter. I'd be using either one as a tabletop model, so the rack ears on the Benchmark aren't a big deal to me, although I admit the Benchmark looks cooler.

I'm curious if the Apogee headphone pre is in the same class as the Benchmark. The Benchmark has the edge with two headphone jacks, but I'm sort of used to only having one on the mixer anyway.

I'm not big on specs, but they appear really close. The Benchmark does have +29dBu output vs. +24dBu for the Apogee.

So.... what d'yall think?????

If its anything like the mini A/D, than I can tell you its not the same as their top of the line DAC's(like the Trak 2).

Check with:

Max Gutnik
Director of Sales
Apogee Electronics
Tel: 310****5-1000 x55
Fax: 310-391-6262
Email: [email protected]

I know he will do his best to be impartial.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…