Quantcast
Which mic/s for percussion Bongo's djembe etc - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which mic/s for percussion Bongo's djembe etc
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Which mic/s for percussion Bongo's djembe etc

Im going to be recording a percussionist for some personal stuff soon and im wondering which mic or mic combo i should use, i know ill be told to play around which is what im going to do, but i have an neumann tlm 103 and akg solidtube a rode nt1 and an at 4040. Anyone used any of the above for such recordings, and i want to get some nice effects stereo doublin for a different take on percussion etc any tips?
Old 31st January 2009
Lives for gear

I'd use them all. I'd place the 4040 up 1-2 ft and a little off to the side, the TLM103 about the same height, or a little closer, but directly in front of the player. The other two I'd use for room. One maybe 6 feet back, the other maybe 12, if the room is reverberant. A variant would be to use one of the mics for the bottom of any drums. If the Djembe is going to be very exposed in the context of a recording, I would mic underneath it, maybe aiming at the floor (if it's reflective, like wood or tile) directly under the drum, or even aimed directly up into the bottom, though that could get boomy. The AKG would probably be my choice for this bottom mic. I don't regularly use any of those mics though, so which is which is just a guess. Don't neglect to check and adjust for phase/comb filtering. It's crucial to avoid this, esp. when recording percussion, whose attacks get blurred.

Oops, sorry--I DO use the 4040 all the time, lol. The key to placing these mics, for me, is to put good isolating headphones on, turn up the volume, and position the mic while the player is playing. You'll hear the resonant spot. If there's too much bleed from the source to tell what's happening in the headphones, ask the percussionist to play softer. The resonance of the spot will remain the same at the louder volume. This is the absolute best way to place microphones in general, imo. (This technique is explained better in "Mixing with Your MInd" by Michael Stavrou.)

Last edited by rwhitney; 31st January 2009 at 12:10 AM.. Reason: forgot about the 4040
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
thanks for the input, yea i might try that if im not so lazy haha. short on mic stands right now... lol
Lives for gear

I often just use 1 mic, esp. if the percussion will be mixed with drumset, placed a couple feet above the drum(s), a few feet out. I'd use the 103 for a bright transient response, or the 4040 for a smoother sound, depending. It never hurts to add a room mic and use it or not, depending.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
its for pop rnb timbaland style production, and i want to get the huge wide sound on the perc, can anyone give me some pointers on gettin it that big. Im thinking recording it in stereo and doubling it up? but i think it be hard to double up a perc track unless the guy is super tight and remembers every tap, not like a vocal is just words u remember. thanks for ur input man.
Lives for gear

12 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i normally use condensers only for room/ambient purposes when recording percussion drums..

i normally close mike the drums with harder mics like dynamics (md421,441, e906,57,beta57 etc..) because i think it sounds much better...

adding that ambient sound with the close miked drums is a great way to get big percussion sounds...

i also have used a tranformerless sm57 with great results on congas...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
yea i was thinking of investing in an sm57 should have one anyway
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I actually had really good results with close-micing two 57s on the tops of the bongos X-Y, and placing two Audix D2s under the drums to catch low end coming from the bottoms. Sounded really good, and you can do some really creative things with panning if you do this as well.

With the Djembe, I put a 57 on the top and put a Shure Beta91 directly underneath the Djembe on it's holder. This actually gave me a lot of control over the contrasting low end and the high attack by isolating each tone specifically.
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
yea sounds like a good tecnique thanks for the input ive used a couple of audix before i use to use a d6 i think in one studio i worked at under the snare sounded great.
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHiebert ➑️
With the Djembe, I put a 57 on the top and put a Shure Beta91 directly underneath the Djembe on it's holder. This actually gave me a lot of control over the contrasting low end and the high attack by isolating each tone specifically.
If you have a real 409, try that on top with the 91 below. I like 409s much for hand percussion.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
have none of the above but will look into them.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
SM57s work well on bongos and djembe.
If you want a big African sound on the djembe, small rooms are not good.
Get a bit of space between the mic and the drum.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
^ makes sense thank you..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by taturana ➑️
i normally use condensers only for room/ambient purposes when recording percussion drums..

i normally close mike the drums with harder mics like dynamics (md421,441, e906,57,beta57 etc..) because i think it sounds much better...

adding that ambient sound with the close miked drums is a great way to get big percussion sounds...

i also have used a tranformerless sm57 with great results on congas...
This guy really know what he's talking about.
heh

Cheers,
Pupo
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
4050 can be nice on a djembe but you need a really bright room. in general i find that, w/ condenser mics, i like them a bit off-axis from the drum; tends to give a better sense of the whole of the sound and not just a transient.

just did a tabla session last week, using those blue ribbons in blumlein (woodpeckers?) my lord-- fantastic. gotten similiar results w/ royers, though not with as much hi end. ribbons, yes!

that mercenary-modded 57 is badass on congas and bongos--similar to an sm7 or even a 421. audix d2's are nice as well, though not as balanced.

GET THE MICS OFF the drum!!!! if you're working with good pre's, a couple of inches will make all the difference in percieved reality at mix time.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeReKeTe ➑️
4050 can be nice on a djembe but you need a really bright room. in general i find that, w/ condenser mics, i like them a bit off-axis from the drum; tends to give a better sense of the whole of the sound and not just a transient.

just did a tabla session last week, using those blue ribbons in blumlein (woodpeckers?) my lord-- fantastic. gotten similiar results w/ royers, though not with as much hi end. ribbons, yes!

that mercenary-modded 57 is badass on congas and bongos--similar to an sm7 or even a 421. audix d2's are nice as well, though not as balanced.

GET THE MICS OFF the drum!!!! if you're working with good pre's, a couple of inches will make all the difference in percieved reality at mix time.
Unless close-micing is the sound you're looking for.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've had good results using the sm7 for close and 4040 for ambience. ymmv
Old 5th October 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just recorded a soloist singing and playing a djembe at the same time. I used a sm7b for his vocals and a 421 on the drum. I placed the 421 opposite side of him pointing towards his hands. Got great results.
Old 6th October 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
a lot of the sound of the djembe comes out the bottom. the whole drum is a helmholtz resonator, and the bottom cone pushes all of the "boom" out of the drum. the top should get a condenser, anything un-horrible and vaguely flat will work, pref. something that can withstand the high spl that can accompany a proper african slap. on the bottom i like a dynamic, it's a lot like a kick drum... 57. 421, re20, even 112, d6 etc. i have played african perc professionally for a long time, and studied sound in college and record drums all the time. i have used like 20 different mics on djembe, and the biggest differences between mics were much less than even small differences in mic placement, and proper drum tuning and technique. some of the clip on mics are nice and easy... c418 is what i use a lot.
good luck!!
Old 19th October 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Just had a successful djembe tracking using a giant African one, layed on the floor with the player straddling it.

Placed am SM57 about an inch or two inside the hole at the bottom and used a BG 5.0 (omni SDC) about a foot or two away on the front- pointed towards the top rim of the drum to get those 'cracking' hand slaps. Mixed the two signals together - the 57 got the big booming bass and the SDC the hand noises.
πŸ“ Reply