Quantcast
I am going to record 28 cds in Feb - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I am going to record 28 cds in Feb
Old 30th January 2009
  #1
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
I am going to record 28 cds in Feb

Hi All: The RPM Challenge starts Feb 1st. The challenge is to record a complete cd in a month. For me that is no challenge, so I decided to challenge myself to do 28 full cds in the month of Feb. That is 1 a day. I work full time as a special education teacher, so 7am-3pm is blocked out. But I figure from 3-5pm each day I can record and mix a cd. I never have tried to record a set number of cds in a time frame, but figure what the heck, you only live once! Here is a warm up sample of songs I did this morning (off for snow). I have been tweaking my preamps, mic placements, and mixer/mster functions, to make my already streamlined recording process faster. I am going to try and keep a journel on my RPM Challenge blog. Wish me luck! Walter


link to the contest. Enter it if you feel inspired!
The RPM Challenge - Home


Click on link below to hear the songs.

I fell for her
since shes gone the sky cries
in the mood all night long
clean country air
skating on the harp

MySpace.com - walter tore's spontobeat - 99 - Male - granville, Ohio - www.myspace.com/71994638
Old 30th January 2009
  #2
Gear Nut
 
FlatBeat's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Good luck. The contest idea is grand.

Will be interesting to hear the results

thumbsup
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #3
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
Thanks for the support! I am feeling like I do when I stand at the starting line of a 10k run or marathon. I think I will just record a straight 60 minutes (cds have to be 35 minutes each) and then cut out the time between switching guitars,etc, but leave in talking. I talk to myself all the time between songs- just like at a gig. I will then do a blanket mix/master for whole thing, and then divide them into tracks for the cd. Looking at it this way, it sounds like it will be a pretty easy goal. The lingest part will loading the 35 segment to a wave file. I am off to buy a new 100 cd spindle and am going to print up 28 different cd covers and liner notes/labels between now and the 1st. I think I will hand draw each cd cover. I love to draw/paint. I am tired of dealing with trying to get the music business to accept what I do. So, I figured this contest is the perfect scenario to make a statement and vent 35 years of being stifled by the recording industry. Walter

PS: I ususally post a few songs a day on my sites, but that takes time, which I doubt I will have much of. The RPM Site lets up put up on a few songs. I will make a copy of each cd for myself but doubt I will post them because I am too busy recording new songs.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #4
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
After looking at your Myspace page, I believe you can do it, man!

Good tunes.

Good Luck!
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #5
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozsak ➑️
After looking at your Myspace page, I believe you can do it, man!

Good tunes.

Good Luck!

thanks! I have been waiting all my life for such a contest. I actually record about an hour -2 hours of songs a day. Posting somew of them to the internet and forums takes a bunch of time. I figure if I don't do this, I will be fine. I am going to hand draw 28 cd covers and labels so they are ready to go. I love to draw as much as play. I also am going to pre adress envelopes so all I got to do is drop them in the mail. All my life people have told me I am crazy, but to me, I feel normal. Walter
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
opentune's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Yeah, go for it!thumbsup

Make sure you got enough food and beverages around. You still have time
to stock up on snacks and stuff.

WeΒ΄ll support you during the whole time!
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #7
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune ➑️
Yeah, go for it!thumbsup

Make sure you got enough food and beverages around. You still have time
to stock up on snacks and stuff.

WeΒ΄ll support you during the whole time!

Thanks!! I have been married for 30 years and Judy knows I am a bit bent. When I told her about this, she just laughed and said she would cover the food and house cleaning. Walter
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
  #8
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
1 day to go! Walter
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
  #9
Lives for gear
 
badmark's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Best of luck! If you can't do it, I don't think anyone else can! Do you have songs running through your head while you're at your day job, or do they just bubble up once you get in the studio?
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
  #10
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Madness!!

Good luck
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
  #11
Lives for gear
 
weezul's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
that's absolutely crazy. I never have time to compose any more, it sucks. All the best!! :D
Old 31st January 2009
  #12
Gear Guru
 
theblue1's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter tore ➑️
Hi All: The RPM Challenge starts Feb 1st. The challenge is to record a complete cd in a month. For me that is no challenge, so I decided to challenge myself to do 28 full cds in the month of Feb. That is 1 a day. I work full time as a special education teacher, so 7am-3pm is blocked out. But I figure from 3-5pm each day I can record and mix a cd. I never have tried to record a set number of cds in a time frame, but figure what the heck, you only live once! Here is a warm up sample of songs I did this morning (off for snow). I have been tweaking my preamps, mic placements, and mixer/mster functions, to make my already streamlined recording process faster. I am going to try and keep a journel on my RPM Challenge blog. Wish me luck! Walter


link to the contest. Enter it if you feel inspired!
The RPM Challenge - Home


Click on link below to hear the songs.

I fell for her
since shes gone the sky cries
in the mood all night long
clean country air
skating on the harp

MySpace.com - walter tore's spontobeat - 99 - Male - granville, Ohio - www.myspace.com/71994638
No fair... looks like you're set up so you can play keyboards, harp and drums (at the least) as a one-man band -- AND you make up all your songs on the spot... heh

Fearsome.

I'm listening to "I Fell for Her" -- sounds pretty complete... and "Since She's Gone..." is quite cool, too, quite moving.


I suspect if someone can do it, you can do it.

One little thing, though, on your MySpace page, the bio would be a lot easier to read (it's pretty interesting, no question) if you broke it up with some paragraphs.

Rock on, brother!
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
  #13
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark ➑️
Best of luck! If you can't do it, I don't think anyone else can! Do you have songs running through your head while you're at your day job, or do they just bubble up once you get in the studio?
thanks badmark! Songs tend to come only when I am walking or when I put an instrument in my hand. I sing alot when I walk. I just pick up an instrument and things just start struming, blowing, singing, tapping, and off I go. I rarely am at a loss. Doing live gigs this way for 30 years has kind of help me tune in to that timeless magic of song. I believe that the universe is just ozzing songs and if we can let go of thoughts and fall blindly into that flow, it never ends-till you start thinking. Then it is gone instantly and it clears out so fast and deep, it is like you never had it. I studied martial arts under a traditionally trained Japanese instructor. He called this concept no mind. My main problem is when it leaves me and I am at a live gig, I am left with "no material" per see. I have learned to just take a breath and keep playing and it usually comes back. I have done some real sour shows over the years when it left and I went into a panic. Walter
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
  #14
Gear Guru
 
theblue1's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter tore ➑️
thanks badmark! Songs tend to come only when I am walking or when I put an instrument in my hand. I sing alot when I walk. I just pick up an instrument and things just start struming, blowing, singing, tapping, and off I go. I rarely am at a loss. Doing live gigs this way for 30 years has kind of help me tune in to that timeless magic of song. I believe that the universe is just ozzing songs and if we can let go of thoughts and fall blindly into that flow, it never ends-till you start thinking. Then it is gone instantly and it clears out so fast and deep, it is like you never had it. I studied martial arts under a traditionally trained Japanese instructor. He called this concept no mind. My main problem is when it leaves me and I am at a live gig, I am left with "no material" per see. I have learned to just take a breath and keep playing and it usually comes back. I have done some real sour shows over the years when it left and I went into a panic. Walter
Fascinating.

I have a buddy who has often come up with often funny, sometimes quite touching songs during jams. One time he literally reduced one of our other guitar-playing friends to tears in the middle of a song. I looked up and saw them streaking down the guy's face.

Me, I've been able to come up with stuff a few times extemporaneously, but it's not quite my nature, I guess...

An impressive ability that has me just a wee bit jealous...
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
  #15
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
Oli-W and weezel: Thanks for the good vibes. I am getting so much support on this thing that I can't wait to wake up tomorrow and start recording!

theblue1: Thanks! I have yet to figure out how to space the bio stuff out. I do it when I am writing it, but then it shows up all running together on the site. Walter

pPS: I got the guiness book of world records site and signed up to set a record for the most records ever recorded in a month and then figured why not the most recorded in the world. Right now I have about 700 full lenght cds, 1,000 90 minute cassettes, 50 hours of adat and 100 hours of 1/2" tape. But after filling all this crap out, the last page says it costs like 400 british pounds to do an entry! Man, the world has got it down to you can't get away without paying everywhere you go. I dumped the registration.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
  #16
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 ➑️
Fascinating.

I have a buddy who has often come up with often funny, sometimes quite touching songs during jams. One time he literally reduced one of our other guitar-playing friends to tears in the middle of a song. I looked up and saw them streaking down the guy's face.

Me, I've been able to come up with stuff a few times extemporaneously, but it's not quite my nature, I guess...

An impressive ability that has me just a wee bit jealous...
Thanks. I am not sure how I got this thing going. Since I was a kid I constantly was told I was daydreaming. I learned that meant drifting away from the actual place I was in and drifting to places unknown. I had a violent upbringing. I was raised in the Newark, NJ area and in a Soprano like world. I saw a mob hit when I was 9 and the hitman tried to kill me. Once I found an instrument, it was like I had been walking to different universes and now I was in a real time machine. The secret to it all is, there is no secret. Simply let go of this world as you know it and spirits will flow through you. they are timeless. The old blues guys like Lightning Hopkins shared this with me. It is something that you can never own and must share when a true person of passion asks for it. Those old guys passed it on. It will go on forever. Most people are worried about losing things and cling to what they have with a vengence. Let go of these thoughts, concerns of what others will say/think, and your own special style will come out. I could easily dwell on all the people that have laughed at me for how simpley I play, and the funky times I keep, and the inferior recording quality many of my songs have. At times I was ready to turn the lights out on alot of folks, including me. But the drive to get back to that magical space always won out and it still does. It has been a journey to let go of these things and just enjoy the music coming out. Am I making sense?? Walter

SoundClick artist: Walter Tore's Spontobeat - Spontaneously created music
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
  #17
Gear Maniac
 
Guruceta's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
good Luck amigo!!!
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
  #18
Lives for gear
 
FeatheredSerpent's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I wouldn't be surprised if they have to put a cap of 30 albums on Walter's profile in order to keep from getting snowed under
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
  #19
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Hey Walter.. You are one talented, coordinated man..!.. I have trouble trying to over-dubbed..... and yet, you do all this at once....Shoot.. my brain would be ozzing out the ears.. Good job....
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Cameron Johnson's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Best wishes buddy :o)
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
  #21
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
thanks guys! I am reved up for tomorrow morning. I think I can get a few cds done by lunch and then enjoy the rest of the day with my wife and dogs. Walter

snatchman: If I think about what I am doing while I play, I fall apart cooridination wise. Also, don't forget, if you tap your feet while you play, you just need to hook a kit to them. Walter
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
  #22
Gear Addict
 
dropblacksky's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter tore ➑️
I think I can get a few cds done by lunch and then enjoy the rest of the day...

ha ha... awesome. I dig the music... all improvised without overdubs and really sounds great. Good luck! It seems you won't have too much trouble achieving your goal.
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
  #23
Lives for gear
 
HudHudson's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Sponto! Sponto! Sponto! Go Walter!
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
  #24
Gear Guru
 
theblue1's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter tore ➑️
Thanks. I am not sure how I got this thing going. Since I was a kid I constantly was told I was daydreaming. I learned that meant drifting away from the actual place I was in and drifting to places unknown. I had a violent upbringing. I was raised in the Newark, NJ area and in a Soprano like world. I saw a mob hit when I was 9 and the hitman tried to kill me. Once I found an instrument, it was like I had been walking to different universes and now I was in a real time machine. The secret to it all is, there is no secret. Simply let go of this world as you know it and spirits will flow through you. they are timeless. The old blues guys like Lightning Hopkins shared this with me. It is something that you can never own and must share when a true person of passion asks for it. Those old guys passed it on. It will go on forever. Most people are worried about losing things and cling to what they have with a vengence. Let go of these thoughts, concerns of what others will say/think, and your own special style will come out. I could easily dwell on all the people that have laughed at me for how simpley I play, and the funky times I keep, and the inferior recording quality many of my songs have. At times I was ready to turn the lights out on alot of folks, including me. But the drive to get back to that magical space always won out and it still does. It has been a journey to let go of these things and just enjoy the music coming out. Am I making sense?? Walter

SoundClick artist: Walter Tore's Spontobeat - Spontaneously created music
Are you making sense?

Absolutely.

Am I laughing? Not at all.

But I am smiling. Your attitude seems to speak through you... maybe it's the murmur of ten thousand poets and minstrels coming through the ages.

It's when considering such a thing that music does, indeed, look magic and holy...

Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
  #25
Gear Guru
 
Sounds Great's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Do you ever have time to listen to this barrage of music you are creating?
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #26
Lives for gear
 
FeatheredSerpent's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Hey Walter, I added a cheeky string arrangement to that track of yours, finally got myself off the internet long enough to do it heh

I've posted it in the work in progress section but you can get the track here as well


Now you can hear what I was hearing in my head

edit: computer farted when encoding, two secs..!

Here, Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Newcleardaze's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I say contact Guiness.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
  #28
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
Wow! I am really touched by all these responses. My musical journey has been a lonesome one much of the time. The major labels, agents, press, wouldn't give me hardly the time of day. So I chugged around the world for 25 years playing mainly dumps, with people there who wanted to hear the jukebox. Now with the net, we can all go worldwide. It is very inspiring and touching to get all this positive feedback. Nowadays I don't hustle gigs. I wait till someone calls. This has taken me from over 250 gigs a year to about 25. That is tough but the studio and net have more than compinsated- thanks! I did contact the Guiness book of world records and they want like 400 british pounds to attempt anything. I was going to go for the most recorded cds in a month and most cds recorded by a single artist . Between tape, and discs, I have well over 500 full lenght cds.

FeatheredSerpent: I am off to check that song out. You are the first to want to anything with any of my songs-thanks!

TOnight I mixed and mastered to cds. I got number 6 done and 1/2 of 7. I am going to call it quits for tonight and record for an hour or 2 tomorrow. I am going to throw a big house party on the 28th to celebrate. Anybody around the columbus ohio area who wants to come, let me know. Here are some samples of the cds so far:

SoundClick artist: Walter Tore's Spontobeat - Spontaneously created music


Lonesome soldier blues
coffee colored girl blues
down times
put our troubles down
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
  #29
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudHudson ➑️
Sponto! Sponto! Sponto! Go Walter!

say hi to evryone in austin for me. That was my home for 11 years. The black cat lounge on 6th street (the original one) was my base. say hi to Will/charlie sexton, speedy sparks, mike vernon, teddy roddy, alex napier, frosty, dave sanger, david holt, and the list goes on.............. I miss old austin. Walter
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
  #30
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great ➑️
Do you ever have time to listen to this barrage of music you are creating?

I listen to it while I mix it. Normally I will spend 2-15 minutes mixing a song. But with this contest, I am spending 0-2 minutes each. I listen to the finished cds in the car, but I only drive about 60 miles a week of freeway driving. So, no, I don't listen to my finished stuff much. Walter
πŸ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump