Quantcast
which slut should I go with? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
which slut should I go with?
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
which slut should I go with?

sm7b? or RNLA? use a 4033 and True P solo.

Ive never used hardware compression going in , and if I could just achieve a little more "thick gooey warmth" recorded i would be much happier, R: 1:1:1

My room accoustics are nothing better than a serf, If I could get a bit more aggressive on the mic that would be good to!
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
this post makes no sense whatsoever.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I don't understand the question?

Try rephrasing.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i want to either get a sm7b or RNLA.

my choice is either to add some color (the RNLA) etc above discription

or

Sm7b for my less than optimal room treatment ( just a serf)
also thought maybe the sm7b would handle aggressive vocals better than my 4033.??

One side quesiton?

RNLA is stereo only? does that matter if you recording a mono signal?
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosCreation ➑️
and if I could just achieve a little more "thick gooey warmth" recorded i would be much happier, R: 1:1:1
so tired of these descriptions...wtf do they even mean?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Still not sure I understand the question... but from what little information I can glean, I actually think you might be better off with a Reflexion Filter. It sounds like you have issues that are better solved with acoustic treatment rather than a new mic or a compressor.

(FWIW, the RNLA can be used in mono - just use the left input/output. Inputs are unbalanced, mind you - and it wouldn't be among my top choices for tracking vocals).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i have a serf

deceptions?
look on the fmr website.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
im sick of this website.

i'll stick to future producers.

theres been more asshole attitude on here than even my fav.

testosterone-nation. website

laterz
Lives for gear

RNLA isn't going to give you what you want, especially with a 4033. I own the 4033, the RNLA and the SM7b. If you're having room problems with the mic and you're recording aggressive vox, go with the SM7b, you won't outgrow it and I never use mine with the reflexion filter as it pretty much rejects everything that isn't right in front of it.
I love my RNLA, but only occasionally use the RNC for vocal tracking and I also really like the 4033, but it has to be used with the right preamp or it is bright and it doesn't work on everyone's voices. I would particularly imagine it is no good for aggressive male vox. Plus the 4033 coupled with the SM7b will give you some great options for both acoustic and electric guitars, even bass cab and drum sets.

In summary, the SM7b is a wise choice as you will not outgrow it as you acquire more/better gear and the RNLA is a little limited for what you want it for.

Last edited by jeremy.c.; 30th January 2009 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: canut spiel apearentlee
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
laterz brah
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedommer ➑️
this post makes no sense whatsoever.
Uhm......OP is called ChaosCreation.

Nuff written.

WT
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
We are the slutz, the gear are not slutz.

That subject was like... what slut should I go with? I'm like.. the one who doesn't care if you buy her dinner first! Doh!

I love this thread!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
heh I have a lot of similar stuff goin on actually. I have a crappy, untreated room, a SM7b, and an RLNA and RNC. What you mentioned about SM7b being good at keeping out other electrical hum/interference and whatnot was one of the reasons I ended up getting it. Then again my mic before that was a SM57/8 so I don't know about compared to your mic.

Myself, I'd recommend a hardware compressor first. That's definitly going to change your setup more and give you more new options than just switching mics. It's said you dont need a compressor for tracking (now) because recording at 24-bits+ gives plenty of headroom, but I think most people still do for rapping. Just use a low ratio like 2:1 with only a few db's of GR so you don't accidentally mess up the recording. Then you can always run the recording back through the compressor again or use plugins to get the full compression you want and experiment with the sound without destroying it.

As far as the SM7b goes, it sounds very clear. I always thought "dark" was a good desciptor for it. "Flat" is thrown around a lot too, and I'd agree. That's a good thing because you'll get a good take that you can EQ,FX,etc. to taste. It might not be good though if you don't wanna mess with much processing of the vocals.

LOL, and finally, to actually answer your question. No, I wouldn't go with the RNLA for vocals. It's dope for bass and drums (plus much else, I'm sure), but for vocals it's a little much. Like a hint of muffle. I would really recommend the RNC instead. It's right on point for vocals. Great value.
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosCreation ➑️
My room accoustics are nothing better than a serf
I thought he was saying that his acoustics were no better than that of a serf's -- I figured he was into Renaissance Fairs or D&D or something.

So, I searched and found that SE has given an acronym to their SE Reflextion Filter.

Whew! OK, now what was the question? Something about dating a slut?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hah, honestly dude I thought the same thing about the "surf"
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo ➑️
I thought he was saying that his acoustics were no better than that of a serf's -- I figured he was into Renaissance Fairs or D&D or something.
Ha! That's exactly what I thought, hence my recommendation of a Reflexion Filter. Man, I feel strangely psychic now...
πŸ“ Reply