mono or stereo reverb on just vocal - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
mono or stereo reverb on just vocal
Old 30th January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
mono or stereo reverb on just vocal

Hi everyone

Im new here so if this post dont belong here please feel free to move it.

this might sound silly but I have the kurtzweil ksp8. Im running mono in
stereo out on the aux send/return. the return comes back on two channels. would it be better to pan one channel hard left and other channel hard right. or would it be better to pan each channel out just a little to give it some spread. or sence its a mono vocal would it be better to just use one channel of the return and pan that channel center. I know I should do them all to see what it sounds like. or witch one better. but I would like to get everyone take on this. and I know each person has a diffrent way of doing things and I would like to hear them.

here the reason Im asking this. and this might sound silly too. I have a lot of sing along tapes. music on one channel vocal on the other channel.
if I mute the music channel I can turn the vocal to the left/right or center
and it sounds like a mono reverb on the vocal no matter where I place it.
if it was a stereo reverb would'int I at least hear some reverb on both channels. if I pan this same vocal center I can hear it thru both speakers but the reverb dont have the stereo spread it sounds like the reverb is just right behind the vocal without the stereo spread but you can still her the reverb. even when you play both channels mucic and vocal and hit mono it all blends together and the vocal reverb sounds good but it still sounds like its right behind the vocal. if the vocals are mostly mixed with
mono reverb. is there a way to make the vocal sound like its got some stereo spread without having to pan the vocal hard left/right.
maybe Im way out of bounds on this. just trying to learn whats best.
thank you all for any of your input on this

sorry for the long post or my bad spelling.

joe allen
Old 31st January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
this must be a bad thing to talk about.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What you do depends on a few things:

Whether or not your source is true stereo.
Whether or not your reverb is in dual mono mode or stereo mode.
Whether or not you are coming into a stereo channel or two mono channels.

So in your case, you say you are running a mono source into your reverb unit that is in stereo mode. Therefore you will be getting a stereo signal coming out the reverb.

Now look at the channels that stereo signal is coming in on.
Do they a) each have a pan control (they are two mono channels), or is there b) one pan control for that pair of inputs (it is a stereo return).

If the answer is a) then you pan them hard left and hard right to get your proper stereo return signal.
If the answer is b) then you leave the pan centred and you will get your stereo return signal.

If the inputs you are using for the return are two mono channels, then you could use the reverb unit in dual mono mode (if it will do this), send the vocal to input 1, and take the mono verb signal from output 1 to a mono input channel on your desk, whether or not you do that is up to you and what sound you want, you can muck around for example by having the dry vocal centered and the mono verb channel panned, if it makes sense for the mix.
If you want the vocal wider then you can mult (create a second version) of it and send it to a second input channel.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Im going into two mono channels.
yes I can pan one hard left and the other hard right. lets just say I have a hi hat pan hard left. now I should be able to pan my reverb into the left channel and hear the reverb on that. I should not hear any of the hi hat or reverb on the right channel is this correct. if this is right then I should be able to do the samething with the right channel panned with another
instrument without hearing the reverb in the left channel right. if this is true then I think I got the reverb figerd out on instruments

but Im still having a hard time understanding reverb on the vocal. since the vocal is mono. I know its simple to some. but I find it hard to understand. maybe Im looking at it the wrong way. when I hear a stereo
cd played on the console it sounds good in stereo. when I hit the mono button the cd still sound good but it seems like the vocal come up a little bit and the reverb sound like its behind the vocal. so to me its hard to tell if the vocal reverb was stereo or mono.

I know this may soud dumb. but is there a way to have a mono reverb on the vocal and still give it that stereo feel without panning hard L/R on the reverb.

I dont mean to worry anyone Im just trying to learn the best way.
and I do thank you all for your input

🎧 15 years
I usually return reverb on lead vocal as a stereo spread. About 99.9% of the time. Delays I treat differently.
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
when you say you pan the returns 99.98 of the time for stereo spread.
do you mean hard L/R or just enough to give it some stereo spread.

Im not trying to be a smart butt. I just want to make shure I understand the way your saying it. and beleave me I thank you for any advice you give me. because the way it looks this reverb thing is a rough subject to talk about. or it could be that its been talked about so much that nobody
wants to explain it. I did look at the few post on the stereo/ mono reverb
on this forum. even in them there was only a few people that replyed.

if Im trying to talk about something that nobody cares to talk about or explain the way thay would do it. then please forgive me
does anyone know were I can find some information on mono or stereo
reverb on vocals. Im just having a hard time understanding the stereo mono reverb on the vocal since the vocal is mono.. thank you all

joe allen

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeallen ➑️
when you say you pan the returns 99.98 of the time for stereo spread.
do you mean hard L/R or just enough to give it some stereo spread.
Hard L/R on reverbs. Vocal is so important that you generally give it a presence across the entire stereo area. On delay programs I often bring the pan pots in for a narrower spread.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton ➑️
I usually return reverb on lead vocal as a stereo spread. About 99.9% of the time. Delays I treat differently.
+1 on this.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hi rick

thanks for that information and your time.
just trying to learn the best ways of doing things

joe allen
πŸ“ Reply