Quantcast
Slash's Guitars Use Your Illusion Album's Mic's, Pre's and any other info - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Slash's Guitars Use Your Illusion Album's Mic's, Pre's and any other info
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Slash's Guitars Use Your Illusion Album's Mic's, Pre's and any other info

Ok so I've searched for information on this and there seems to be nothing concrete about what mic's and pre's were used to record Slash's guitar parts on 'Use Your Illusion' I and II. I know there are lots of different sounds on the albums and that he used numerous different guitars but someone must have an idea of what basic mic's and pre's were used. I presume it was recorded to tape, in Slash's biography he states that he spent a month in the Record Plant recording guitars and he used a multitude of guitars including 1958/59 Explorer, the '59 Les Paul replica that he used for 'Appetite For Destruction', the Joe Perry '59 Les Paul that he bought for $8000 in 1989 amongst others.

I'm not trying to replicate the sounds in any way, I'm just interested in what was used.

If anyone knows anything chime in.
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sorry i cant offer and information, but his guitar sound is KILLER in these two albums, especially "locomotive".

Best sounding rock guitar ever.. thumbsup
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Yes Locomotive in particular does sound superb.

Come on information.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Dunno about pres or anything but word has it the only mic on the guitars was a single SM57.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
There's an interview with Mike Clink of the Record Plant in Howard Massey's "Behind the Glass". He doesn't say specifically what he used for Slash as far as electric guitars, but he does say that his typical approach to electric guitars is "point the 57 exactly dead on, although I might move it an inch or two to get the right sound." He also says that an AKG 452 was used for Slash's acoustic guitar parts. He also says that he tracks electric guitars with a DBX 160.

hope that helps...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I believe he used a Marshall jubilee head to record with.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Slash has one of the best recorded tones ever. It has been elusive to me. It just doesn't sound like a plain Marshall.

Alot of this is hear-say but here's some things I've discovered in my research.

- Slash has one marshall head that he uses to record with. I'm not sure which make/model it is, and I wouldn't doubt that it has been modded but the word is he went thourhg literally 100 amps til he found the right one that sounded just right.

- At least when playing live, there's also a vox ac30 in the mix with his marshall tone. I assume he probaby has some sort of line driver hitting the front of the amps, as well. The whistley lead tone he gets is just amazing, and you don't get that out of a straight up marshall.

- there's also a certain make of 4X12 cab that he uses. I read somewhere that he would open up the back of the cabinet and look for a certain person's signature that did the final assembly and QQ. He said that those cabinets sounded different then other similar models assembled by other workers.

I dunno.

His sound is pretty secretive.

alot of it is in the hands, but jesus there's something about the actual tone of the rig that just sounds kick ass.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never1 ➑️
alot of it is in the hands, but jesus there's something about the actual tone of the rig that just sounds kick ass.
No kidding. Appetite kills Use Your Illusion. Way more rock and roll, less safe.

The first Black Sabbath record, Appetite for Destruction and early Jane's Addiction is what comes to my mind when thinking of the "rock and roll" sound.

So sad nothing is anywhere close to sounding inspired these days. Poor kids have nothing. Look at the big records of 2008: Motley Crue, Guns n Roses, Ozzy Osbourne, AC/DC, etc. I would be PISSED if I was 18 right now I had to listen to pro-tooled senior citizens that my parents like.

Sorry for the rant, back to it!!!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
i too have heard about his marshall jubilee head. which i believe was a limited production and he bought all of them he could find, so they are said to be extremely rare. wait edit: i just found a bunch for sale. maybe it was one year he liked i know he was particular
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
He used Jubilee in the studio. He then had Jim Marshall create the resissue Slash "Jubilee" in 1996.. When he did slash's snake pit.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I know about his guitar equipment, but damned if I know what was used to record him.

Quote:
- Slash has one marshall head that he uses to record with. I'm not sure which make/model it is, and I wouldn't doubt that it has been modded but the word is he went thourhg literally 100 amps til he found the right one that sounded just right.
Appetite was recorded with a modified JCM800 (that George Lynch had also used) that they rented for those sessions. After that he couldn't find that exact amp again. He searched a lot after the album, but couldn't find that exact amp. He ended up finding the Jubilee which he's used ever since. That's what you hear on UYI and the Revolver stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audionickw ➑️
i too have heard about his marshall jubilee head. which i believe was a limited production and he bought all of them he could find, so they are said to be extremely rare. wait edit: i just found a bunch for sale. maybe it was one year he liked i know he was particular
It was the Jubilee 2550 to be exact. He owned 11 of them and lost 7 in the riots. That's when he went to Jim Marshall and they put out his signature model, which is an exact repro of the Jubilee, just with Saul's (haha) name on it.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_love6977 ➑️
which is an exact repro of the Jubilee, just with Saul's (haha) name on it.
I lol'd
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
slash amp

Here's my little 2550.. It sure is fun to play with a les paul
Attached Thumbnails
Slash's Guitars Use Your Illusion Album's Mic's, Pre's and any other info-marshall2550.jpg  
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Nice amp Fredrik. I own the Slash Reissue Jubilee '96..

I went and saw one of my favorite Punk Hardcore bands one night and loved the sound that the Guitarist had. I asked her after the show what model it was and she said it was the Slash Jubilee reissue. I asked if it was modded and she said no.

I went out and grabbed one after I couldnt find the original Jubilee. It is the sound of a hot rodded 800. It is the sound of rock and roll..

It was a expensive, but great purchase. Gets used on every session. Very easy to dial in a pleasing sound, even in the studio.>!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Here's my old living room. Note the beauty on the right.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
strange mod

.. my 25/50 has a kindof a strange cute little mod.. on the backside it has a big knob that is a master volume control for the clean channel...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_love6977 ➑️
He owned 11 of them and lost 7 in the riots. That's when he went to Jim Marshall and they put out his signature model, which is an exact repro of the Jubilee, just with Saul's (haha) name on it.
apologies for the digression...

i was in the middle of that riot in st.louis back in 91. i can vividly recall being knocked to the ground by 2 dudes carrying 2 marshall jubille heads, and dragging a marshall cabinet behind them. i still have the scar on my knee from being thrown to the ground, and plummeled by the "music fans" who attended that fatefull show.

one of the worst examples of human beings i have been personally witness to. just 20 thousand drunk idiots with no regard for anyone but themselves and their draft beer.

contrary to popular belief...axl rose did not just jump into the crowd and incite that riot. the band left the stage, and noone ever came out to say anything....the crowd simply started chanting and getting drunker and more annoyed that there was no music. people started slamming the seats with their feet...and eventually trash was lit on fire in trash cans in the lawn...and it escalated from there.

years later i recorded a band that found out somehow that they had purchased one of the stolen "slash cabinets" from a local music store.

back on topic...appetite for destruction has some of the coolest guitar tones ever committed to tape. too bad rock records do not sound like that anymore !! no "wall of sound" guitars on that..just a few parts...and a BIG sound.

cheers,

jchristopherhughes
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Mixman, great story... We should also recognize that Izzy Stradlin's Boogie amp was the reason Appetite just crushed. The combo of Slash's Marshall and Izzy's Boogie were the cat's meow..!

Use your Illusion was pretty much all Slash..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman ➑️

Use your Illusion was pretty much all Slash..

I don't now if i'd go that far, but Izzy typically only had the one part over in the left speaker and slash had the more distorted track in the right, plus his lead stuff up the center so he sorta took up a lot more realestate. There's only a few songs like Locomotive and Coma and maybe a couple of others that were purely his guitar playing.

I find it interesting how his tone is so much bigger than Izzy's but the image never feels rightsided.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman499 ➑️
apologies for the digression...

i was in the middle of that riot in st.louis back in 91. i can vividly recall being knocked to the ground by 2 dudes carrying 2 marshall jubille heads, and dragging a marshall cabinet behind them. i still have the scar on my knee from being thrown to the ground, and plummeled by the "music fans" who attended that fatefull show.

one of the worst examples of human beings i have been personally witness to. just 20 thousand drunk idiots with no regard for anyone but themselves and their draft beer.

contrary to popular belief...axl rose did not just jump into the crowd and incite that riot. the band left the stage, and noone ever came out to say anything....the crowd simply started chanting and getting drunker and more annoyed that there was no music. people started slamming the seats with their feet...and eventually trash was lit on fire in trash cans in the lawn...and it escalated from there.

years later i recorded a band that found out somehow that they had purchased one of the stolen "slash cabinets" from a local music store.

back on topic...appetite for destruction has some of the coolest guitar tones ever committed to tape. too bad rock records do not sound like that anymore !! no "wall of sound" guitars on that..just a few parts...and a BIG sound.

cheers,

jchristopherhughes
Gee, I wonder who that band is?!?!?!? Something tells me that you and I are thinking of the same band, and more to the point the same guy. He wouldn't happen to have a large beard and an affinity for Telecasters would he? heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bach ➑️
Gee, I wonder who that band is?!?!?!? Something tells me that you and I are thinking of the same band, and more to the point the same guy. He wouldn't happen to have a large beard and an affinity for Telecasters would he? heh
ha. probably the very same. i may have even done some time in said band....

do i know you andrew ?

pm me..

jch
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I dug G'n'R but...

I never found much interesting in his sound nor his playing. I met him once and he was very cool with me.

When I think of great humbucker sounds... his name never comes to mind.

Malcolm Young... now we are getting somewhere.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The pickups he uses (Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pros) are also a big part of his signature sound.

They sound quite different from a lot of humbuckers and personally I am not a huge fan of them but they do have a sound of their own. Alnico II is a warm, mellow sounding magnet and gives less output than other magnets. Its smoothness plays a big part in Slash's singing Les Paul leads.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What about Tom Scholz of Boston?
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I don't now if i'd go that far, but Izzy typically only had the one part over in the left speaker and slash had the more distorted track in the right, plus his lead stuff up the center so he sorta took up a lot more realestate. There's only a few songs like Locomotive and Coma and maybe a couple of others that were purely his guitar playing.

I find it interesting how his tone is so much bigger than Izzy's but the image never feels rightsided.
This is very true. They ended up keeping all of Izzy's scratch tracks for the album, with Slash being the only one to re-record. His rhythm takes up the right channel then all of the overdubs are him too.

But... a lot of the Live Like A Suicide stuff is Izzy up front. For instance, listen to the right channel (Izzy) in Mama Kin vs the left channel (Slash). Izzy's parts are so much more prominent.
Old 3rd March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman ➑️
I believe he used a Marshall jubilee head to record with.
Used to own one of those; and with that amp you cn stick pretty much anything anywhere and get instant Slash tone with a Les paul...

M
Old 16th June 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
The guitar amp that was used for the majority of the illusion tracks was a modified marshall which I believe was an early 2203 4 input model. The mod was done by Frank Levi (#34) who also modified the amp used to record appetite (#36 which was done because of the high demand for SIR's stock #39) the amp has a lot to do with the signature tones one the record. If you are after a similar tone a jcm 800 2203/2204 will get you in the ball park as far as the recording chain goes there's not a lot of info around. The album was recorded in more than one studio so I'm sure the same mic pre's were probably not used throughout the entire process. Some of the guitar parts were actually recorded in Slash's own studio, November rain for example.
Old 18th June 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by VibeSound ➑️
Some of the guitar parts were actually recorded in Slash's own studio, November rain for example.
Where did you get this information from? I have never heard this stated before and according to all sources out there Slash had a small studio in the house he moved into after the Use Your Illusion world tour. This is where he demoed the first snakepit album which was then recorded or the majority of it was recorded at Rumbo. The house was destroyed by an earthquake and in the next house he had a studio built in the basement. This was where the 'Ain't Life Grand' album was recorded. According to his biog and other sources the majority of the guitar parts for the Illusion albums were recorded at the Record Plant Hollywood.

Here are some pictures of his home studios:

The first one is the demo studio which was above his garage and was subsiquently destroyed.

The other two are from the basement studio. He later sold this house to Billy Bob Thornton and apparently the 80b was included.
Attached Thumbnails
Slash's Guitars Use Your Illusion Album's Mic's, Pre's and any other info-slash_3_big.jpg   Slash's Guitars Use Your Illusion Album's Mic's, Pre's and any other info-studio1.jpg   Slash's Guitars Use Your Illusion Album's Mic's, Pre's and any other info-studio2.jpg  
Old 27th August 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I found this information in an interview with Bill Price. He stated that slash had been doing overdubs in his studio for november rain, whilst axle had been doing overdubs in his. Though it is very likely that all of this was done in other commercial studios or I have mis read/don't remember correctly. There also seems to be a lot of contradictory information surrounding GNR in general so this may not be accurate, however a fair chunk was recorded whilst on the road in support of the soon to be released illusion albums.
πŸ“ Reply