Quantcast
Just got the AKG C414B XL11 should i update my signal chain? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Just got the AKG C414B XL11 should i update my signal chain?
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Just got the AKG C414B XL11 should i update my signal chain?

First Off Wassup everyone first time poster here don't eat me alive!

So basically since i purchased this mic (in shipping) it's had me thinking about my signal chain and if
my other components will hold back quality? Signal chain right now is Shure KSM27 mic,Custom made XLR
with starquad sheilded cable with neutric XLR connectors,into Motu 828mk2 then recorded into Logic Pro 8.0.2
Monitors JBL LSR4300p 8" room is treated.
So I've been doing some research on the motu828mk2 converters and i've read that their
good for the price.Then i came across the Black Lion Audio Home and read how they change
out the entire analog section with much higher quality components.I read some reviews online and they
were all good ones,that would be one of my options.Total BLA MOD $315.00+clock $295+Shipping $40 would be around $650 shipped
there and back.
Or i could get a good 2channel Mic-Pre and a a/d converter,I really don't know which ones i would get yet
but my max budget is $1200.00 could go a little higher.
I dont really want to get a new Audio interface cause i have 2 Motu828mk2's and 1 8pre daisy chained to a aggregated
device,i picked them up for a great price.
I would just like some good advice cause i would hate to introduce this new C414 and not get the quality out of it that it deserves.
I make underground hip hop and R&B but want quality!
I have been looking around and i was going to go with the BLA MOD,Either the FMR RNP or Grace m101 pres and haven't really looked into the AD conversion yet.
Then a buddy calls me and say he's got a friend with a API A2D almost brand new that he would get rid of to me for $1650.
So i asked if he'd bring it by tomorrow he said okay.So i went to the website API A2D Dual 312 Mic Preamps with Digital Output and i knew it was a mic pre but it also does the AD conversion It looks as if this will settle my whole dilemma as for mic pre,AD conversion and clock.
What do you guys think? I can afford it.Is this money well spent for what im tring to accomplish?
Also to be quit honest ive never got this far in the signal chain b4 this A2D would hook easily into my setup correct?
Thanks for any help or even any suggestions-J
Thanks for any advice -J
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A mic pre will definatly be recommended.

I myself are looking to get one for a friend at around the £150/$300 mark (single channel) if possible to also go into a 828mk2 FW.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
HiYou may get some limited response here as many on this forum use mikes that are a lot more expensive that the c414's and so forth, I personally think the xl series mikes are quite useful, and use my c414 (mine's an xls) a lot. If your MOTU converters are ok, spend the money on a mike pramp. If it is your only one, it should have line input capability if the MOTU piece does not, but that will limit your choice. The grace you mention is excellent for the money but is considered a transpatent or uncolored sounding unit. I wouldn't think it would good for vocals in an r&b project, more for Clean sources like acoustical guitar, piano, etc. (Ii would like to have a pair though) Usually guys like a mike pre with some character in the sound, called coloration, eventually we like to have some of each flavor. I suggest you search this forun for topics like "best pre for under a 1000.00" and similar threads and do some reading. Then go to a site (google it) called the listening sesssions, and listen to the mike preamp shootouts, to get an idea of what the difference is. There are some high end pres tested such as Neve , some well respected ones like Great River and some inexpensive ones like HHB, try and listen through your studio monitors, you will get a feel for whats the difference. Hopefully that will get you started in the right direction. A decent mike pre makes a lot of difference. Cheap ones sound thin, or less in your face or less present at any given volume, which equates to hard to hear in a mix until they are too loud, which is also referred to as does not sit well in a mix. The FMR you mention may be a little underqualified. In that price rance I'd go a different way.
📝 Reply