Quantcast
Monitor care - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Monitor care
Old 30th January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Monitor care

Anybody got any tips for monitor care? I own a pair of Dynaudio Bm5as and theyre brand spankin new. I don't wanna mess up these babies. They're connected to my S90ES. I played em for a little while on normal level volumes, not too loud. One of the monitors has a very slight hum, you can hear it if you go up close, is that normal? i have monster cables, how would I know if there the source of the issue?
Also does a power conditioner get rid of groundloops? (i dont think its that but just want to know)
I'm buying an apogee duet tomorrow and I was thinking to just have music play through em for the first 150 hrs for burn in. The guy at the store said to have em "phase". and that means to have the speakers face eachother so the noise cancels out. only for the burn in period.
And I understand that I'm supposed to first power on the keyboard and then turn the amps on and when shutting everything down I turn the monitors off first and then the keyboard correct?
Anybody got monitor care tips tho? I dont wanna overlook this part
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
having them face each other seems stupid... that doesnt make any sense. just listen to music you enjoy on them, and enjoy them.. They will be broken in soon enough.
Old 26th January 2010
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Breaking in Speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by owni ➡️
Anybody got any tips for monitor care? I own a pair of Dynaudio Bm5as and theyre brand spankin new. I don't wanna mess up these babies. They're connected to my S90ES. I played em for a little while on normal level volumes, not too loud. One of the monitors has a very slight hum, you can hear it if you go up close, is that normal? i have monster cables, how would I know if there the source of the issue?
Also does a power conditioner get rid of groundloops? (i dont think its that but just want to know)
I'm buying an apogee duet tomorrow and I was thinking to just have music play through em for the first 150 hrs for burn in. The guy at the store said to have em "phase". and that means to have the speakers face eachother so the noise cancels out. only for the burn in period.
And I understand that I'm supposed to first power on the keyboard and then turn the amps on and when shutting everything down I turn the monitors off first and then the keyboard correct?
Anybody got monitor care tips tho? I dont wanna overlook this part
Hi, I have found this:
Robert Harley -- Mon, 03/02/2009 - 20:00
I don't think that break-in affects the frequency response. But there's no question that well-used speakers sound different from fresh speakers. The mechanical parts (particularly the spider and surround) must loosen up before the driver operates as intended. One way of quickly breaking in speakers is to play pink noise through them at a moderately high level, then position the speakers so that they are facing each other nearly touching. Reverse the speaker cables on one speaker and throw a blanket over the pair. Reversing the leads to one speaker causes them to be out of phase so that the pink noise is less annoying. The blanket damps the sound. You must first set the level with the speakers in phase so that you don't turn the level up too high and damage the speaker.
Old 26th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just listen to music to run them in .

The phase inversion of one speaker just minimises the nuisance factor .

Putting a blanket over them is a very bad idea , these are active monitors and need good airflow or damage , even fire will result !!!!

Oh and you can damage a monitor quite easily with a "test" signal that is generating high levels of inaudible frequencies .
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…