Quantcast
help choose room to record acoustic guitar/vocals - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
help choose room to record acoustic guitar/vocals
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
help choose room to record acoustic guitar/vocals

I'm looking forward to cut some demo acoustic guitar/vocals tracks. I'm not looking forward to have top notch quality as much as I am concerned with just making the process easy!! ... I have access to 2 Rode NT1-As that I can use through my Edirol interface (possibly using some yamaha MG mixer pres). I also have a SM58 and some SM57s.

Now I have 2 room options that are totally opposite to one another. First room is my 20' x 10' rehearsal room that is treated with 2" fiber glass all around (one 10' wall has 4" fiber glass panels ... also the ceiling is treated with 2" panels all over! ). Except for the wooden floor, there's no other source for reflection or diffusion. The room is dead specially in mids and highs but obviously with not adequate bass absorption.

The other option is my 16' x 13' x 10' living room also with wooden floor. I like the sound in that room when I play my acoustic and sing. It's just a regular small living room with no treatment! The sound is not that bad in it and at least it has a "room" sound which sounds okay to me.

If you had a choice between these 2 room to record acoustic guitar and vocals, would you choose the dead one or the "live" one?

thanks!
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by obscure object ➑️
I'm looking forward to cut some demo acoustic guitar/vocals tracks. I'm not looking forward to have top notch quality as much as I am concerned with just making the process easy!! ... I have access to 2 Rode NT1-As that I can use through my Edirol interface (possibly using some yamaha MG mixer pres). I also have a SM58 and some SM57s.

Now I have 2 room options that are totally opposite to one another. First room is my 20' x 10' rehearsal room that is treated with 2" fiber glass all around (one 10' wall has 4" fiber glass panels ... also the ceiling is treated with 2" panels all over! ). Except for the wooden floor, there's no other source for reflection or diffusion. The room is dead specially in mids and highs but obviously with not adequate bass absorption.

The other option is my 16' x 13' x 10' living room also with wooden floor. I like the sound in that room when I play my acoustic and sing. It's just a regular small living room with no treatment! The sound is not that bad in it and at least it has a "room" sound which sounds okay to me.

If you had a choice between these 2 room to record acoustic guitar and vocals, would you choose the dead one or the "live" one?

thanks!
Go with your living room. Since you are not going to have access to a lot of equipment, I would focus more on making the performance as great as you can. If you like how you sound in the living room and are comfortable playing in there, do it in there. Trust me, some of the best recordings I have done were recording really great people and bands with a sloppy and quick setup. In this situation, make the source sound as good as you can.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv ➑️
Go with your living room. Since you are not going to have access to a lot of equipment, I would focus more on making the performance as great as you can. If you like how you sound in the living room and are comfortable playing in there, do it in there. Trust me, some of the best recordings I have done were recording really great people and bands with a sloppy and quick setup. In this situation, make the source sound as good as you can.
The treated room is mine and I'm going to be comfortable in there. I'm going to have the same equipment in both cases (rehearsal room or living room) ... I'm just curious, given the aforementioned characteristics of the 2 rooms, which room would yield better results for acoustic guitar/vocal recording??

I do feel that when in the dead room, there isn't enough reflection and diffusion to hear myself and the guitar well.... it's like I have to use a tiny bit of PA monitoring to get good level to my ear (whether it is for guitar or vocals)!!.... you know what I mean?? what do you think??

Thanks for help
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
It won't matter. Acoustic guitar can be recorded anywhere. I like live rooms, but like I said, it doesn't matter. Flip a coin.
'
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
+1 on the living room choice...

took me a long time to switch to recording everything in my living room...
thank God, that I made the switch.

My living room is actually one of the better sounding live rooms that I've recorded in... it just has a great ambience to it.
You know that feeling that you have when you just sit down and play/sing in the middle of the room and it sounds and feels good...??

Yeah... that translates man.

Nowadays, I record drums.... everything in the living room.
My recordings have dramatically improved since the switch...
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
ROOM:
I often prefer acoustic guitar in a living room with a wooden floor; especially if the guitar is a big part of the mix. Like most acoustic instruments, it sounds more 3 D to me and the reflections makes me play /sing better. If the room is a little too reverby or has some nasty flutter echo you can try dampen it a little with carpets, furniture, foam etc.

For dense mixes the sound of a heavily treated, dead room can be a good thing.

MICS:
When singing and playing at the same time you might want to try:
- Rode condenser (cardoid) aimed at the 12 freth. Maybe pointing down at the guitar a little so it doesnt pick up too much vox.
- sm58 on vox. (doesnt pick up a lot of guitar) Make sure that
the sm58 is in a position that makes you play/sing comfortably. Not right in front of you but probably a little to your left hand side.

- You can use the second Rode on the body of the guitar or even better; put it somewhere far away in a corner of your room to catch a nice room blend of vocals and guitar. Watch out for phase issues.

One last thing; that "demo take" might just be the perfect take. heh
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
thx for the replies so far.

any more opinions?
πŸ“ Reply