Quantcast
Why does protools run like crap on my macbook pro? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why does protools run like crap on my macbook pro?
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Why does protools run like crap on my macbook pro?

I have a new macbook pro, running protools 8. Same thing happened with 7.4.

I'll open a session and play it back and after a few seconds it will pop up giving me the CPU overload error and suggest I increase my buffer. Fine, I do so. Now at 2048 IT STILL HAPPENS! So i unload some plugins to the point that its simply playing back a couple of tracks of raw audio, breeze right? Same problem.

Internet is deactivated, bluetooth as well, and i'm running fan control to keep it nice and cool.

Why is this such a pain in the ass?? I run nuendo on windows pentium 2.8 and it runs circles around the macbook pro, I thought these things were marketed as a great unit for making music on.. should be running circles around my PC.

Also, same things happens with pro tools on the windows side of the mac, and nuendo runs flawlessly, I can do a huge mix in Nuendo, but dick-all in pro-tools.

Ideas??
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adoucette ➑️

I'll open a session and play it back and after a few seconds it will pop up giving me the CPU overload error and suggest I increase my buffer. Fine, I do so. Now at 2048 IT STILL HAPPENS! So i unload some plugins to the point that its simply playing back a couple of tracks of raw audio, breeze right? Same problem.

Internet is deactivated, bluetooth as well, and i'm running fan control to keep it nice and cool.

Why is this such a pain in the ass?? I run nuendo on windows pentium 2.8 and it runs circles around the macbook pro, I thought these things were marketed as a great unit for making music on.. should be running circles around my PC.

Also, same things happens with pro tools on the windows side of the mac, and nuendo runs flawlessly, I can do a huge mix in Nuendo, but dick-all in pro-tools.

Ideas??
There's a load of performance tuning stuff over on the Digi site if you haven't checked it out already ( General Troubleshooting - Pro Tools LE on Mac OS X - Digi User Conference ). Turning off Spotlight made a big difference for me. Cut down a lot of errors. You can use something like Spotless, or do it from the terminal.

Also, I've read as MBP's heat up the processors cycle down so as to not overheat the battery. Though I can't confirm that this makes a big/noticeable difference (I have tried it), plug it in and take out the battery.

Oh yeah... are you using a secondary drive that's "approved" (ie. a speedy FW chipset)?
---
c
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
DUDE! THANK YOU! It runs great now that I did a few of those things, I think it was the spotlight thing for me too.
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adoucette ➑️

Ideas??

Also make sure you have it plugged in while running pro tools....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp2u ➑️
Also, I've read as MBP's heat up the processors cycle down so as to not overheat the battery. Though I can't confirm that this makes a big/noticeable difference (I have tried it), plug it in and take out the battery.
If that's true, why not run it plugged in without the battery? my guess is that when it sees that the battery is out, it won't throttle the processors back.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
i was dealing with this too just today... if i have the buffer too high it gives me way to much latency... when i decrease it i get the same message... i'm gonna try these tips
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Tech support folder worked like a charm for me when I switched to 8 and noticed some performance issues. I've never heard the spotlight idea, though I can see it would definitely help, so I'll probably do that as well to squeeze a little more performance. Thanks!

Tech Support Folder - Utilities and Troubleshooting Tools
Digidesign | Support | Tech Support Folder - Utilities and Troubleshooting Tools
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Dashboard Killer also helps by turning off Dashboard.
Check Version Tracker

You didn't mention RAM.

Is your RAM maxed out or what are you running
and what Brand of RAM.
Old 9th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
eSATA DRIVE

since i got an esata drive and express card things are running WAY better on my MBP.
Old 11th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
also, its very time consuming but removing all your plugins from the plugin folder and then re-adding them one by one can help you see if any of the plugins are causing cpu spikes. My version of mcdsp revolver causes my cpu meter to spike up and down which means I can't seem to use it on larger sessions without bouncing the output.
πŸ“ Reply