Quantcast
Vox distotion FX. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vox distotion FX.
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Vox distotion FX.

What do you guys reccomend for a nice pop/R&B distortion effect on a vocal. I had been using guitar rig but seen as that messed up my sessions as i mention in a previous thread, im looking for an alternative. I heard trash sounds great on vocals? What do you guys use?
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A guitar amp.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yea but not practical in many occasions
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realziment ➡️
Yea but not practical in many occasions
Why not practical? Not as easy as a plugin, but not that difficult. I use Massey Tape Head for lighter grit and I do use Guitar Rig, but my fave is my 60s Masco Amp with and 8 inch Jensen.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you're using PT.. Massey's "tape head" plug works pretty well for this type of stuff.... and it has a free trial.. heh
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Word of advice, make sure you've updated Guitar Rig 3 to the latest version. It's free for registered users and the difference in stability and even sound quality between 3.0 and 3.2 is immense. I was having nothing but trouble out of 3.0, it was very, very unfinished, but updating to 3.2 made all the difference in the world. In addition to more bugfixes than I could fit in this post, they improved the way that a lot of the effects and amp models work.

If you've already done that and it's still messing up, check out Trash or some of the freeware amp sim VSTs; I think Wagner would be a great choice for this, since without a cabinet simulator after it, it has a sound which I would describe as a symphony being rendered poorly by smashing glass bottles against a garbage lid when at full gain. Dial back the gain and drive and you get a more manageable distortion. You might want to throw a small room reverb after it, mostly dry with some pre-delay, to get a "close miked distorting" kind of sound.

Another good plugin that used to be free but now is part of Cubase's stock of default plugs is DaTube; it's a pretty good saturation plugin. If you look hard you might be able to find the old free version, it's what I use when I want to add some grit to something without seriously impacting the sound. Two of them after eachother gives a more drastic effect. This might be a download of it, I don't know, it was one of the first results in a google search.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
thanks alot for your advice agreed, i did the update and still had some issues. Just done a format on the c drive gonna go from fresh and see what happens. thank you man.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I meant to reply to your PM, I got it, but forgot to! Sorry about that. Yeah, if the update didn't help, it's hard to pin down exactly what might be causing the problem. That's one unfortunate thing about ITB mixing, you've got so much going on with a whole mess of different plugins of variable reliability, and you can't ever be sure if it's just the VST implementation of your DAW or if it's a problem with the plugin itself, or what. I hope you get it figured out, though!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Massey THC in parallel.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
thanks again agreed much appreciated, the massey i will check out china jam.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
If you have a UAD card, the included CS-1 channel strip has some interesting presets. Also the 1176LN fast release with all buttons in is cool too
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
McDSP Futzbox for serious options and distortion. Anything that can distort for distortion.
Mho
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use Cubase´s stock Overdrive. I have tried every distortion suit out there and cubase´s overdrive is the best for me. Use speaker sim and it simply works... 1000% stable.
try phoenixaudio DRS-2 driving the input hard..
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Tech21 sansamp PSA-1.
That box is great for everything that you want to add punch and dirt to as well or just fatten up a bit. Love it on vocal, drums and bass.
I don't know about the plug they made from that unit but if it's half good as that, it's worth checking out (just for conveinance aspect of the thing).

As far as plugins go, the vintagewarmer is pretty good for your application, so is the urs saturation.

Cheers

JB
📝 Reply