Quantcast
I'm like "this" close to getting my 8 track reel to reel! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I'm like "this" close to getting my 8 track reel to reel!
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm like "this" close to getting my 8 track reel to reel!

Im in the middle of getting a Tascam 38 in excellent condition. Heads are looking great, unit is pristine with no cosmetic issues.

What I like about this unit is the 3 head structure so I can monitor off the repro heads using the infamous Brad McGowan method.

Methinks I am falling in love.

I've already got a tech lined up in Upstate NY and can't wait to start feeding it tracks or for that matter to start tracking with it.

I've heard quite a few ways to attack the noise on this unit from modding the circuits (Jim Williams had a pretty good post about changing opamps out and changing parts in the circuit).

There's also the dbx DX4D units.

And finally there's the method that sounds interesting, which is using GP9 or equivalent tape (requires re-calibration) so you can get hotter levels to tapes, cutting down on the noise overall.

In the near future I would almost be more prone to follow Jim Williams suggestions but that can wait for a bit until I see what the caveats are with the unit.

I'm gonna start out with RMGI SM468. That's what I'll have the deck setup for by my tech.
I will try hitting the tape at +6db and see where that gets me.

I mainly do heavier music so I may not have too many issues with noise. If I do then my next step will be a GP9 style tape.

Man oh man I can hardly wait!

Peace
Illumination
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

Thats a very cool machine. You may not need to get crazy moding it. All depends on it's condition.

A few dance producers I used to mix for used it for vocals, bass, and some keys. And we would run midi drums live. The tracks off of tape sounded top notch. We had a JH24 in the room, but I kept the tracks on the 8 track. Nice find.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Noise Reduction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by engmix ➡️
Thats a very cool machine. You may not need to get crazy moding it. All depends on it's condition.

A few dance producers I used to mix for used it for vocals, bass, and some keys. And we would run midi drums live. The tracks off of tape sounded top notch. We had a JH24 in the room, but I kept the tracks on the 8 track. Nice find.
Do you recall if you used any noise reduction units for it? dbx??

Some people have mentioned that if they shot enough level to tape that it would help with the lack of noise reduction.

My guess is this stuff was tracked to 456??

I plan on using it for en masse dumping from DAW to tape and back to the DAW via the repro heads.

Should def warm things up, give some nicely needed vibe and goo, that plug ins can't provide.

I have been mixing to tape for almost have a year now and its addictive. Plus I heard so many good things about RMGI SM468 that I had to try it out.

Anyway if you can help with some of those answers that would be awesome.

Peace
Illumination
📝 Reply