Quantcast
Protools delayed monitoring - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Protools delayed monitoring
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Protools delayed monitoring

Im having an issue where when Im listening to myself as I record, Im hearing myself at a delay and it sucks. I have had this problem at home and school. At school I have a really long cable going from the headphone jack in the 002 to the booth. Im not sure if this is caused from the length of the cable or latency.But I had the same problem at my house with short cables and a headphone mixer.Is this a PT thing?
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiroy ➑️
Im having an issue where when Im listening to myself as I record, Im hearing myself at a delay and it sucks. I have had this problem at home and school. At school I have a really long cable going from the headphone jack in the 002 to the booth. Im not sure if this is caused from the length of the cable or latency.But I had the same problem at my house with short cables and a headphone mixer.Is this a PT thing?
Its Pro Tools. The cable won't matter.

Check your Playback engine and change it so its set to 256 samples or less.
Old 29th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
it has nothing to do with cables.

its the wonderful latency of PT LE. the 002 has an option called "low latency monitoring" under the options menu, which will help with your problem. it wont be perfect, though.

i believe that the mbox2, mini and micro do not have this feature, but the mbox2 pro does.

just make sure when you are tracking you are in low latency mode, and when mixing you are at maximum h/w buffer size and such.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Im sorry but I know its the standard, and the wave editing features are helpfull but I think if digidesign didnt come out with the huge consoles to pair with protools,Protools would be considered one of the worst DAWs by many. There are somany things that I dont have to deal with when using other DAWS.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Mini and standard Mbox 2 series have a form of direct mix monitoring, whereby you can instantly mix the incoming signal (directly with no effects) with the processed signal that you hear all the time from your DAW. It's not the most ideal method of monitoring, but it works really well if you are just recording single tracks at a time, and dont need monitoring effects.

As mentioned, the other series (002,003, Mbox 2 Pro) have a low latency feature, which i imagine reduces the buffer even more than Pro Tool engine will allow, giving less monitoring latency. For this however, youre worst enemy will be CPU power (or lack of it) when required.

This is why hardware monitoring (such as through a desk or through soundcard DSP) is favoured, as it gives zero latency, whilst still be able to track with effects. It also doesnt tax the CPU, which is ideal when you are overdubbing or adding to an already started project.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor999 ➑️
Its Pro Tools. The cable won't matter.

Check your Playback engine and change it so its set to 256 samples or less.
When you record you want the playback engine low like 256 to fix latency , when you mix you set it to the max , 1084 I think it is , then you have latency but more power to mix .

Also lower buffer for recording then higher for mixing .
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
If you are using a "master channel" don't have any plug ins on it or just ditch the master track all together.

TW
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria89 ➑️
This is why hardware monitoring (such as through a desk or through soundcard DSP) is favoured, as it gives zero latency, whilst still be able to track with effects. It also doesnt tax the CPU, which is ideal when you are overdubbing or adding to an already started project.
I am about to move from a PT MIX system to an 002 system and I am interested in how this is done.

Is this right?

Have a direct input of the recorded source into an outboard mixer channel.

Also, have the output of the 002 (pre-recorded tracks with some plugs possibly) into another channel of the mixer.

Have a send from the mixer (Headphone out for example) to use for headphone monitoring by the person recording the track. Their track, combined with the 002 tracks being heard in the cans.

Have another send from the mixer going back into the 002 that records the performance.

Is that the basic idea?
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidtension47 ➑️
the 002 has an option called "low latency monitoring" under the options menu, which will help with your problem. it wont be perfect, though..
this should solve your problem.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Im sorry but I know its the standard, and the wave editing features are helpfull but I think if digidesign didnt come out with the huge consoles to pair with protools,Protools would be considered one of the worst DAWs by many. There are somany things that I dont have to deal with when using other DAWS.
u r very wrong youngin'. Its ProTools LE that's limited not HD. and pt hd (TDM) was the standard way b4 the Icon controllers came about for many reasons.

LE is just very limited but u can record/monitor fine. just change ur buffer size as u would have to with any daw/soundcard combo.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
User inexperience I'm afraid.
Old 6th May 2010
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
This might help if you're really stuck - already posted in another thread I know but worth a look if you don't have a console to use Zero Latency Monitoring for Digidesign 002 and 003 / Articles / Jigsaw Broadcast
Old 6th May 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
yeah pro tools is garbage. All the pro studios upgraded to Fruityloops XXL9. It even has a limiter on the master track. how cool is that.
πŸ“ Reply