Quantcast
Are software guitatr amp simulators up to speed yet? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Are software guitatr amp simulators up to speed yet?
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
how's this different from any other analog digital debate ? :p
core issue is the same.
Realism of a different technology vs virtual simulation of it.

I got 1 wrong in the EM test, this doesn't mean I found the simulators to sound bad , it's just when the real deal comes up it strikes a nerve and my gut feeling tells me that one was the real one.

same with synthesizers, no softsynth model of an old analog synth really compares to using the real deal.
Sure there are great softsynths out there that let you create nice sounds on it's own.

I said it somewhere before, Computers and Digital are fantastic in their own right, if we start using them differently than trying to replicate non digital things.
as this really limits the capacity of computers.
we need new interfaces & open designed software to really benefit of the computers power.
Then I think it can be a great instrument or tool.
but for now it's a piss poor imitation of things man has been able to do without computers for years and years.

Amp simulators, and even now guitar simulators, oh look at me now i'm playing on a 59 les paul through a AC 30, click click scroll, hey now i'm playing a strat through a fender twin.... euhm sure you are heh

But then again, it's really not the gear that matters, an original and inventive musician can translate his ideas to anything be it an AMP simulator, or give him a 100 dollar guitar and amp and he would still be able to produce interesting music on it that will sound good.
Although I probably rather have him play on the 100 dollar setup than through the virtual 59 les paul through virtual AC 30.
as my gut feeling and my ears are much more pleased with the real things.
I can't explain why, it just is.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If your goal is to have an amp sim that is equal in every way to a real amp (both the good things and the bad things), then no, amp sims are not yet up to that level.

If you need to live with some compromises in order to get sounds on tape, you can achieve some great sounds with some of the better amp sims.

Of the ones I have tried, I like Peavey Revalver Mk III the best. It is what I use to record without bothering anyone (one of the compromises I mentioned above).

You will notice the difference between a real amp and a simulation if you are the one creating the sounds. How could you not? However, if you look at this from the perspective of the end listener, and what that person hears on the recording, I think that some pretty realistic sounds have been coming out of amp sims for years, and they only get better over time. Didn't Pete Anderson record a lot of stuff with Amp Farm? There are people who make these tools work just fine, and great music is the result.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agreed ➡️
All this talk, talk, talk, talk, talking gets nobody anywhere. Suffice it to say there are folks like me who whole-heartedly embrace digital and will give you a hundred reasons to use it (even though, speaking for myself, I have over 30 pedals ranging in price from $25 to $400, and my primary amp is a low wattage boutique); and there are those who will turn their nose up at any attempt to model the "magic" of tubes.

Here, this will actually do some good, though.

EM tests software-modeled guitar amps against the real thing

Don't bother posting your results, just listen to the clips, try to guess the real one, and learn something.

This is exactly what I have found....i.e., that:

1 You can get great sounding results from plug ins depending on the part itself and what is going on in the song and...

2 Clean sounds are the toughest to do with plug ins when compared to the real deal.

TH
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Yeah, it's kind of funny when you think about it, there's so much more going on in making a distorted tone - I guess the difference there is that our ears aren't looking for minutia the way they are when we're hearing clean sounds. If the sparkle isn't just right on a clean tone, it stands out like a sore thumb, compared to us barely noticing - if we notice - when a distorted tone is missing a little bit of content in the 8khz-10khz region that the real amp might have had.

All I know is that if I tell people I'm posting a clip from an amp simulator, there is a portion of **** that I am sure to get as a result by default. But if I don't mention it, and just pretend that it's the amp being simulated, people start asking me what speaker I'm using and what tubes are in the head. There's a lot of eyeball-brain connection going on, methinks; I say this as a guitarist and a reviewer who works with boutique hardware daily and loves it, but also embraces the digital realm.
Old 1st February 2009

🎧 10 years
Pod Farm Platinum is amazing the best plug-in for amp simulation period.
Tons of amps, cabinets dual amp mode etc.thumbsupthumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agreed ➡️
Yeah, it's kind of funny when you think about it, there's so much more going on in making a distorted tone - I guess the difference there is that our ears aren't looking for minutia the way they are when we're hearing clean sounds. If the sparkle isn't just right on a clean tone, it stands out like a sore thumb, compared to us barely noticing - if we notice - when a distorted tone is missing a little bit of content in the 8khz-10khz region that the real amp might have had.

All I know is that if I tell people I'm posting a clip from an amp simulator, there is a portion of **** that I am sure to get as a result by default. But if I don't mention it, and just pretend that it's the amp being simulated, people start asking me what speaker I'm using and what tubes are in the head. There's a lot of eyeball-brain connection going on, methinks; I say this as a guitarist and a reviewer who works with boutique hardware daily and loves it, but also embraces the digital realm.
Yeah and this particular shoot out, it's hard to believe any engineer could listen to the real amps in those examples and actually prefer them. Check out how awful and dark the real Marshall sounds in example one. It doesn't sound any BETTER than most of the plug ins, just different, and darker. Surely not "better." Again, the part, the song, etc.

TH
Old 19th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Amplitube Fender

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/MainPhp....ay.php&Id=2088
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For certain sounds, they're ok. I daresay that for most pop songs, using a guitar fx simulator will work ok but when you get into rock and hard rock....eh, they kinda suck. Especially if you've got real drums and bass... they can't stand up to that.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Studiodevil is pretty nice. I think better than Guitar rig.

Studio Devil Guitar Amp Plugin for VST, Audio Units, and ProTools RTAS!
📝 Reply