Quantcast
Advice on speakers for my flat screen tv - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advice on speakers for my flat screen tv
Old 29th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Advice on speakers for my flat screen tv

I have Dynaudio's and NS-10M's in my project studio. I want to buy some nice speakers to go with my flat screen TV mainly for movies but also for music listening at times. The TV is not in my studio so this is for entertainment only. I have some Bose acoustimass 5's I was planning to use for a rear channel. Suggestions I am looking for is main front speakers and the center channel. NOT TOO BIG. It is a small room.

I guess Polk Audio is a good choice, but I am not certain because I am not going out to listen to them. I am going to buy them online and hope for the best.

I like the sound of the Dynaudio's in my studio for nearfield monitors. I use the NS10's to mix.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Santo
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

I just bought a new home theater setup as well and chose the Focal Chorus800V series speakers. They sound amazing but you'll need a good amp/receiver to drive them. We went with the Denon 5308CI which has 150W per channel across a 7.1 setup.

Good luck!
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Thanks. I will check them out. What made you pick these particular speakers over the typical choices? Did you compare them against others?

Santo
Lives for gear

I had a previous home theater so I had done a lot of research on speakers and receivers prior to this new purchase. I'm a big believer in Focal's products and use the Twins in my studio (we also represent Focal as an authorized dealer on the pro side). So, it was really a no brainer to go with the build and sound quality of a company I can really stand behind.

The thing is, with any passive speaker, you need a great amplifier to pair them up with. The Denon 5308CI A/V Receiver is consistently rated as one of the best A/V receivers ever conceived thus far (obviously not including extremely high end separates instead of an all-in-one A/V receiver). From the Toroidal transformer to the the 150 watts per channel across a 7.1 system, to the extraordinary video scaling, I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

We partnered those components along with a Pioneer Elite 151 60" plasma and a Pioneer Blu-Ray player. It's really an amazing setup and sounds/looks incredible.

Good luck!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Take a look at the Klipsch reference line. I have the RF35's lots of sound without having to run loads of power through them. These are probably too big but Klipsch has a whole line of reference stuff and some stuff made for home theatre. No I am not an employee nor do I have any relationship with Klipsch. A buddy of mine and I were looking at LaScala's last night. Those and the Khorns. Great stuff....big but great stuff. I need a room big enough to have LaScala's as my surround set up.
PEACE
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

One of the best bang-for-the-buck home speakers out there is NHT. I'm not sure how available they are anymore, but put them on you list for consideration. The latest tweeter design they use is really excellent for anything remotely affordable.

-tINY

Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I read comparisons between Klipsch and Aperion or Polk Audio. Anyone have anything good to say about Polk or Aperion?

Santo
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
You might consider Fluance speakers (Fluance Speakers the Best for Home Theater and Surround Sound). A few years ago when I researched it extensively, these seemed to be the best bang for the buck. Everyone on avsforums.com raved about them. They aren't super high end, but if you are looking to save a few dollars they're worth looking into. They sell direct and also on ebay.
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY ➡️

One of the best bang-for-the-buck home speakers out there is NHT. I'm not sure how available they are anymore, but put them on you list for consideration. The latest tweeter design they use is really excellent for anything remotely affordable.

-tINY

The Fluance scare me because they are so inexpensive. I looked at the NHT Classic Three. They are in the price range I had in my head (about 1K for for the front channel). There is a center channel on ebay for $200.

Anyone actually own these?

Santo
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I am actually looking to get a home theater type set up for my studio. I like the idea of having reference monitors which are my barefoots and then a pleasure system like aperion or something. Not to say that I don't have pleasure from listening to the barefoots but it would be nice to hear my mixes on a home theater type setup. So far I had my eye on the aperion intimus 6t towers paired up with the onkyo receivers they sell. Ayone have experience with this setup and/or can make a better suggestion?
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
PSB or Energy.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Viscous ➡️
PSB or Energy.
Thanks for the suggestions.

I looked briefly at the PSB website and they seem to have many different models at a number of different price points. This is the way Polk Audio is. When a company has a similar sized monitor at two widely different price points, it makes me wonder what they took from the one to make the other. Polk has two bookshelf models at roughly the same size and 600 dollars difference in price. So what cost $600 is my question for Polk. That is why I decided that Polk is not in my consideration.

With the PSB, can you be more specific about which model is the one you want to own considering I want a relatively small speaker for the fronts? Big enough however to enjoy listening to a music CD on them when I am not watching a movie.

I am constrained by space so I am not considering a floor tower for the front.

Thanks for the response. I've looked at some AV forums and they seem to talk a different language than folks that are used to working on professional studio monitors.

Santo
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
One more thing.

The reason the NHT looked interesting to me is because they seemed to have only one price point per size.

In other words, the company implies by doing this that this is the best we can do at this size. You probably do not stay in business that way from a retailing perspective and I am limiting my budget for the front speakers to $1000.00.

But it seems reasonable that one should be able to buy a nice listening speaker for a small room at that price.

Confused.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm also interested in suggestions from the $500 to $1000 range. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by santo ➡️
The Fluance scare me because they are so inexpensive. I looked at the NHT Classic Three. They are in the price range I had in my head (about 1K for for the front channel). There is a center channel on ebay for $200.

Anyone actually own these?

Santo

I've only heard the latest designs in passing (except the Xd). I can't personally vouch for the new dome midrange, but I'd buy them myself if I was l looking. The design team has a lot of years of good-sounding value-concious designs.

-tINY

Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:

I've only heard the latest designs in passing (except the Xd). I can't personally vouch for the new dome midrange, but I'd buy them myself if I was l looking. The design team has a lot of years of good-sounding value-concious designs.

-tINY

Thanks. I am probably going with the NHT. I'm shopping around for price now. Not a lot of people selling them though.

Santo
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
If you can, give the Paradigm Reference Studio/20 speakers a listen.
Old 3rd February 2009
Trp
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I want to buy some nice speakers to go with my flat screen TV mainly for movies but also for music listening at times.
B & W has a great line for that purpose:

View the FPM Series speakers at Bowers & Wilkins - The World’s leading speaker brand.

Good sound, small, stylish. It´s good to have a (any) sub with them, though.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trp ➡️
B & W has a great line for that purpose:

View the FPM Series speakers at Bowers & Wilkins - The World’s leading speaker brand.

Good sound, small, stylish. It´s good to have a (any) sub with them, though.
I've read many good things about the Paradigm.

I also read a comparison article between the B&W and NHT at the bookshelf size. The reviewer liked both but went on to say that the B&W had more clarity in the female vocal mid range frequencies, and a slightly more transparent high end. He also said the NHT was stronger in the low end which would support your saying one would need a sub with the B&W.

I read a little more about NHT. It seems the company was in some kind of transition a couple of years ago which may or may no have affected the quality of the newer models after 2007.

Thanks for the input.

Santo
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Klipsch + 1
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I've read many good things about the Paradigm.

I also read a comparison article between the B&W and NHT at the bookshelf size. The reviewer liked both but went on to say that the B&W had more clarity in the female vocal mid range frequencies, and a slightly more transparent high end. He also said the NHT was stronger in the low end which would support your saying one would need a sub with the B&W.

I read a little more about NHT. It seems the company was in some kind of transition a couple of years ago which may or may no have affected the quality of the newer models after 2007.

Thanks for the input.

Santo

Which line was that? The classic seemed pretty good, but I haven't heard the Verve line at all. The old 1.5 was great.

-tINY

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I went with Definitive Technology speakers. Very happy 2 years later.

-R
TRA
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
B&W 685. You can pick them up for about $500 on eBay and they absolutely rock!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Which line was that? The classic seemed pretty good, but I haven't heard the Verve line at all. The old 1.5 was great.

-tINY

It was the Classic 3. I'll see if I can find the link.
📝 Reply