Quantcast
Ryan Adams - Jacksonville City Nights... sweet fricken jesus! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ryan Adams - Jacksonville City Nights... sweet fricken jesus!
Old 29th January 2009
Deleted ff086b4
Ryan Adams - Jacksonville City Nights... sweet fricken jesus!

It's been a while since I listened to it, but bloody hell, this is a beautiful album, both from a songwriting and a sound engineering perspective. Recorded to 2 inch 8 track apparently, and with all that tape hiss it sure as hell sounds like it!
I dislike when bands like Hem keep going on about how they record to tape but then when you listen to Rabbit Songs it sounds so polished and perfected that you never would have guessed tape was involved.
But Jacksonville City Nights, damn, it sounds like its from a whole other era! Found a short 20 minute video in 3 parts about the making of it, with one of the songs from the album at the start, they don't make much records like this anymore sadly...

Septermber - Part 1 video code & video by Ryan Adams | VideoCodeZone.com - your source for music video codes

YouTube - Ryan Adams Documentary / September part 2 of 3

YouTube - Ryan Adams Documentary / September part 3 of 3
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Me no like Ryan with The Cardinals.

Saw them in December and the dual guitar solos in the middle and end of every single song bored me to tears.

I love Heartbreaker mind, one of my all time favourite albums.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Deleted ff086b4
Quote:
Originally Posted by china jam ➡️

Saw them in December and the dual guitar solos in the middle and end of every single song bored me to tears.

I agree, he really does take it a bit too far with the 10 minute guitar improvs sometimes, but hey, at least there's somebody out there still doing that kind of thing!

But yeah, when it's just him alone in a room with a guitar and a harmonica he sure as hell makes a good claim as one of out best living songwriters! Anyone who has heard 'Heartbreaker' knows what we're talking about!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
He most certainly is.

Easy Tiger and 29 also have moments of genius. At least you can skip the guitar solos on a cd!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Man, I *love* this record. I love the "recorded in a room" vibe. It is so very nicely not close-mic'ed and compressed to death. In fact, one of the songs has some distortion on the vocals, which I thought was kind of nice to just have left in. IMO, quite possibly the best album of his career. There are others with better songs, better recording, etc, but this one is somehow wonderfully whole.

Since he's (last I heard) leaving the music business, no more worries about the Cardinals...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That room in Loho has just great sound for acoustic music too. Terrific studio.

Same bass player on RA's Jacksonville City Nights and Hem's Rabbit Songs, oddly enough.
Deleted ff086b4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalhotdog ➡️
Same bass player on RA's Jacksonville City Nights and Hem's Rabbit Songs, oddly enough.
You sure about that? Coz bass player for the Jacksonville City Nights sessions was Catherine Popper, I don't think she's ever played with Hem, wikipedia doesn't list her either!

She's still hot though! Of course it's a well known fact that an amazing ability on any instrument will increase a woman's sexiness by roughly 529%...

YouTube - Girls With Guitars by RIVES
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Me like all Ryan. Me no judge genius. I found the guitar solos live to be fun and dead-like. Just Talking live. His songs work all kinds of ways.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Avery ➡️
You sure about that? Coz bass player for the Jacksonville City Nights sessions was Catherine Popper, I don't think she's ever played with Hem, wikipedia doesn't list her either!

She's still hot though! Of course it's a well known fact that an amazing ability on any instrument will increase a woman's sexiness by roughly 529%...

YouTube - Girls With Guitars by RIVES
pretty sure. it's my ex.

she's on the first two Hem records, actually
Village Idiot

🎧 15 years
Quote:
pretty sure. it's my ex.
The Rives guy?

Gustav
Village Idiot

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Avery ➡️
I agree, he really does take it a bit too far with the 10 minute guitar improvs sometimes,
One of my all-time favourite solos and guitar sounds is on Love is Hell...Cant remember what the track is called. I only ever listen to it as a whole album.

"God please bring the rain.
Yeah bring it soon"

Starts out like that. Vocal is bandpassed, opens up..sounds awesome, solo kicks in...WOW.

Gustav
Deleted ff086b4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labs ➡️
One of my all-time favourite solos and guitar sounds is on Love is Hell...Cant remember what the track is called. I only ever listen to it as a whole album.

"God please bring the rain.
Yeah bring it soon"

Starts out like that. Vocal is bandpassed, opens up..sounds awesome, solo kicks in...WOW.

Gustav
'Shadowlands' is the name of that one. Tis beautiful indeed.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by china jam ➡️

I'm with you on Heartbreaker, and sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who likes Rock'n'roll.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
That room in Loho has just great sound for acoustic music too. Terrific studio.

That was an awesome room to work in. Too bad the place is closed now.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…