Quantcast
A/D/DA Convertor with Mbox 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A/D/DA Convertor with Mbox 2
Old 28th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
A/D/DA Convertor with Mbox 2

I want to get a new convertor as going thru the line on my mbox sounds awful.
I wanna convertor with pres and to hook it up to the spdif in my mbox.
im sure there will be latency issues tho
anyone have any suggestions on convertors??
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
This is my suggestion what to do. Get you a lavry blue 2 ch A/D D/A
Get and aes cable, get a small conversion box, that converts aes to spdif and run that to your mbox, you would be better if you had a 002 but that's neither here nor there. Clock pro tools off your lavry.. And lay on the floor and squirm with joy as you record and listen back with the lavry..! To make life all the sweeter get a great pre..and you'll truly see.. Life is good....
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
API A2D
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
well i got an Brent Averill pre so thats the api part covered
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
cranesong HEDD cos this not "just" a converter and i think enough the old 48k version for u cos the simple mbox only handle until 48k....
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
hi
well thing is i wanna not use anything in the mbox so basically
Pre=A/D=Mbox Spdif
Will that work?cos my mbox line ins are not working too good theses a gainy sound on vocals on every mic and its not the cable
I will recording thru spdif produce latency?
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by finlove ➑️
hi
well thing is i wanna not use anything in the mbox so basically
Pre=A/D=Mbox Spdif
Will that work?cos my mbox line ins are not working too good theses a gainy sound on vocals on every mic and its not the cable
I will recording thru spdif produce latency?
Sadly, there is no on board facility to monitor the SPDIF inputs in "input only" zero latency mode, meaning; you are feeding the inputs directly out to your monitoring path before the software [as that's really whats causing the latency, in addition to the FW or USB or whatever connection to the computer] With this setup, monitoring through the software, you are forced to run your buffers low, so you'll need a "capable" computer.

This is where I would HIGHLY recommend the API A2D as mentioned, which has Analog outputs of the mic amps that are simultaneous to the SPDIF outputs, so; you would get a simple four channel headphone mixer, route the DAC of the Mbox [Music Bed] to 2-channels of the headphone mixer/controller, and then arm a new audio track with the SPDIF port inputs, which will be muted. You then patch the analog out's of the A2D to this mixer [along side the PT LE DAC] and it will let you hear your microphones before the software without any latency, while recording the identical signal to PT, playing along with the Music Bed. When overdubbing, un mute the track, and repeat process above.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
if you can find a used apogee mini-me you'll get two good pres with good conversion. the way around latency is to run the headphone out of the mini-me into one of the "now unused" mbox pres. this will allow you to monitor off of the mbox monitoring section as usual.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
what about with a motu 828 would the spdif work with something like that?
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
what about with a motu 828 would the spdif work with something like that?
If you set up the routing to, I suppose, but I am pondering why you don't just get a 003 if you wanna run PT. The 003 has better converters than the M-Box. If you got an 828, why not use Cubase or something? It would seem rather excessive to use a 828 with a M-box, but it would give you a really great mixer with cue system to monitor in the aforementioned method.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
cos the line in,in my mbox sound crap and im thinking maybe the 003 will have the same
heres a vox sample to show u what i mean...when u turn up the gain in ur mons the vocal sounds a bit ear piercing..and its not the mics or pres as ive used all different mics and pres
http://fs08n5.sendspace.com/dl/227d85420c0b84267b0961a93cfd37a9/498342774a746536/rh2n1r/vox%20test.wav
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
cos the line in,in my mbox sound crap and im thinking maybe the 003 will have the same
heres a vox sample to show u what i mean...when u turn up the gain in ur mons the vocal sounds a bit ear piercing..and its not the mics or pres as ive used all different mics and pres
http://fs08n5.sendspace.com/dl/227d85420c0b84267b0961a93cfd37a9/498342774a746536/rh2n1r/vox%20test.wav
Sorry Bro, What I heard is not the fault of the converter, though I will concede these options are not the best for high fidelity, or top octave smoothness, or any character at all, but I heard nothing wrong with the recording in your example. What I heard was the entire chain, not just the M-Box. I heard the microphone reacting more to your voice, as opposed to any digital anomaly. This includes the performance and the room your in. You might want to evaluate your monitoring, or step up your DAC, so that you can make better choices about the audio your hearing. Yes, I can agree that the M-box is rather lame in the SQ department, but you might think about getting a more controlled sounding microphone/preamp that will help tame the upper register of your voice.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
hi thanks
is there any other way to tame this in mixing?
ive tried c4 but i dont like what it does to the sound of the vocal
πŸ“ Reply