Quantcast
b3 leslie cab problem - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
b3 leslie cab problem
Old 28th January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
b3 leslie cab problem

Recently a friend dropped off their B3 and leslie cab to our studio. It has been sitting at his house, not getting much use, so in exchange for storing it, we can use it for recording.

I have a rather unusual problem. Usually when I record one of these, I put a microphone on each side at the top and then one at the bottom of the cab. When I put a mic near the top right side, I get this loud buzzing sound, but if I move the mic to the other side of the cab the buzzing is much quieter.

Has anyone seen this happen before? I've tried different mics, cables, pres, etc, but it seems that proximity to the cab is what is causing the noise.

Any help would be great!
Old 28th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxkagato ➡️
Recently a friend dropped off their B3 and leslie cab to our studio. It has been sitting at his house, not getting much use, so in exchange for storing it, we can use it for recording.

I have a rather unusual problem. Usually when I record one of these, I put a microphone on each side at the top and then one at the bottom of the cab. When I put a mic near the top right side, I get this loud buzzing sound, but if I move the mic to the other side of the cab the buzzing is much quieter.

Has anyone seen this happen before? I've tried different mics, cables, pres, etc, but it seems that proximity to the cab is what is causing the noise.

Any help would be great!

Can you hear the buzz when you are not micing it? IE is the cabinet itself buzzing.

My first guess would be the upper motor is buzzing and you are picking it up.

Lately, i've been recording Leslie with one mic
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

You could try an XY on the side that doesn't buzz...

Maybe there's a shielding issue...have you compared the buzzing levels front-to-back? Whudabout using a different mic?
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My 122 does the same thing. I can't use dynamic mics at all because they pick up a hum from the Leslie. My solution: use Earthworks Z30X (condensor cardioid) pair on top and a Crowley & Tripp ribbon on the bottom. No hum.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…