Quantcast
KMS 105 for recording? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
KMS 105 for recording?
Old 28th January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
KMS 105 for recording?

I'm wanting to get a KMS 105 for live use and wondered if it would also be acceptable for any recording. I'm having to choose between a Shure SM7 to use for recording, or a KMS 105 for live use. Right now I have just a rode nt1a for recording and a beta 58 for live use. What do you guys think I should go with?
Old 28th January 2009
pan
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfigter ➑️
I'm wanting to get a KMS 105 for live use and wondered if it would also be acceptable for any recording. I'm having to choose between a Shure SM7 to use for recording, or a KMS 105 for live use. Right now I have just a rode nt1a for recording and a beta 58 for live use. What do you guys think I should go with?
The KMS will beat the Rode in your first shootout in the Studio, I'm sure! What source would you use the SM7 on?

Only drawback in the studio would be the narrower pattern of the KMS in front of a moving target;-)

Be aware, that the KMS in a live situation picks up a lot of the sound on stage. It's not a mic for Vocalists that have no in-ear monitoring available but need a lot of ME in their wedges...
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Niko has this nailed. He's got it right in every respect.

Both are great mics. Save up!

KMS105 will work for studio and stage as long as you can live with a more open cardiod pattern (without getting feedback) in live use.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the quick replies. The Shure SM7 would just be for male vocals. I might mess around with it on a few other things just for fun, but it would be primarily for vocals. I do use in-ears everytime I play. Almost everywhere I go there are in-ears, and where there aren't I bring along a hearback system. Would you prefer the KMS 105 or 104 for live applications where you have in-ears? I would prefer not to have the drums just pounding through my mic.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Forgot to mention, I think I will buy both, but I have money for one now, and the other this summer. I'm playing out 2-3x a week, so a nice live mic would be good, and I'm also working on recording some of our new songs right now. I've been wanting to to get into mixing and engineering for a while, so I thought now would be a good time to start learning and having some fun with it. Not looking to make anything good, just acceptable to listen to. That way our fans can download the songs for free and give us feedback on what songs we should go to a studio to record. If a KMS 105 or 104 will be great for live stuff, which I'm doing a lot of, and decent for recording at the level I'm looking at, then I'll go with that. Will the SM7 blow the KMS away? Which mic should I get first?
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Will the SM7 blow the KMS away? Which mic should I get first?
No, they are different though both have a good use for vocals. The 105 is better for acoustic instruments because it's a condenser. What's more, you can hold it. You can't hold an SM7 because it's too big and made only to mount, though I have seen crazed rockers do it in the studio.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There was a similar thread awhile back and one poster mentioned they used the 105 on a Tracey Chapman album so I'd say it's plenty capable for studio work and it sounds great on acoustic guitar as well.
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
pan
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I would prefer not to have the drums just pounding through my mic.
This might indeed become a problem with the Neumann.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The 105 can be really useful in the studio. I recently had a female vocalist who had an odd "sizzle" in her voice. Kind of like a rasp but much higher freq. It almost sounded like distortion. My Gefell UMT70 which is usally great on female vox just made this aspect of her voice more prominent. After going through just about every mic in the locker, we tried the 105 and it was fantastic. It was plenty bright, but somehow ignored that annoying sizzle. We tracked the whole record with it.

I know it's not very popular here, but I think it's a great mic.

-Z-
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I love it to....sounds really good on male rock vocals.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i posted the same question as you!

KMS105 in the Studio? Compared to SM7?

of what i have read, you cant really compare the sm7 to the kms. sm7- aggressive and good for rock songs; kms105- good for breathy spacious songs (condenser stuff). A better comparison would be of kms105 to ksm9 or a pr-35
Old 29th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Have any of you recorded a snare with the kms 105?
Old 4th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru
How does the kms105 match up against the U87ai?
Old 4th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i have a kms 105 into a shadow hills gamma st.ives as talkback

if the artist needs too record in the control room i feel comfortable with the result.
Old 5th May 2009 | Show parent
hv_
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislago ➑️
How does the kms105 match up against the U87ai?
I think the u87 has more top end sparkle and a cardioid pattern that's not quite as narrow as the 105... closer to the 104. I use the 105 all the time, btw, a foot or 2 directly in front of a Bose pas without any feedback problems... here's an example with 2 of them: You Tube- Angel From Montgomery

Howard
Old 5th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
IIRC, the 105 is a KM185 with a pop screen, and the 185 is the hypercardioid version of the 184, so...
I've used it:
- on acoustic gtr
- as room/distant gtr. amp mic
- as hihat & ride spot mic
- vocal mic (who woulda thunk?) for singers who NEED to record with a handheld, or when it's just the right mic for the voice.

A very good & versatile utility mic.
πŸ“ Reply