Quantcast
which bass amp for less than 800$?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
which bass amp for less than 800$??
Old 28th January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
which bass amp for less than 800$??

hi people, i m a guitar player so i know nothing about bass amps, i m looking for a decent bass head+cabinet for rock band practicing, i can afford up to 800$ for a new one. I was looking at the AMPEG SVT MICRO HEAD, with a 2x10 cabinet but im not sure if thats ok,
The practice room is 12 x 9 x 9 feet if that helps...i tried doing a little search but couldnt get enough information, any help will be appreciated, thanx

*sory i had to edit the post... room size is 12x9x9 not 12x6x6
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i have bought a lot of bass amps over the years...from SWR to Ampeg to Eden, etc.
I play blues and rock with a Rick and flatwounds and do not like the SWR/modern/bright sound, so take this advice with a great of salt!

My favorite combination thus far is:
Ampeg V4-b w/ Glockenklang 2x12 (no tweeter)

Ampeg V4-b is a sick amp - sounds just like an SVT (had one of these, too...just too much power for most needs) but can get dirty at lower volumes. Prices vary a lot - you can spend anywhere from $3-600. Find one that's not beat up - the tubes aren't cheap!

The Glockenklang 2x12 is the best bass cab i've ever used but also expensive - you could save and just get an Avatar 2x12 for about $300 and still be very well off.

Another more versatile option that I like is a Sansamp RBI rackmount -> power head. I use a Hartke 3500 with NOS tubes - leave the EQ flat and turn the compression off. Dial the Tube preamp gain about 12' and the SS gain to about 9' - sounds VERY good. This is my live rig now. Versatile and plenty of power. Also cheap!!! $200 or so for the Hartke head and another $200 for the Preamp. You don't NEED the Sansamp, but I don't like the Hartke's EQ/dynamics.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
David Eden World Tour head and XLT 2x10 or 1x15 cabinet. There are a variety of heads with different power outputs. Probably $500 for the head and $300 for a cab used. Great warm and fat tones. I never did like Ampeg, too dirty.
Gear Guru
A used G+K 800RB with a Basson Sound 2x10" 500 watt cab.
Shake your world.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisaras ➑️
hi people, i m a guitar player so i know nothing about bass amps, i m looking for a decent bass head+cabinet for rock band practicing, i can afford up to 800$ for a new one. I was looking at the AMPEG SVT MICRO HEAD, with a 2x10 cabinet but im not sure if thats ok,
The practice room is 12 x 6 x 6 feet if that helps...i tried doing a little search but couldnt get enough information, any help will be appreciated, thanx
12x6x6? I'd buy a used Ampeg B100R and put $500 in the bank.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
12x6x6? I'd buy a used Ampeg B100R and put $500 in the bank.
B100R is great.
'
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
If you can find a good used Ampeg V4 and have a tech. that can give it a once over, you'd be in very good shape.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Markbass LMII is what you need, a great bass amp that is getting a ton of positive feedback from players all over. It is small and light, and sounds great.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Another +1 for the Ampeg V-4B. You can also plug it into a Marshall 4 x 12 cab and get some great stoner rock guitar tones.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
If you can afford to spend a little more, or if you can find one used, the Eden Nemesis 4x10 combo is a wonderful amp. I use it to record with and I also use it to play with a band. I have 2 guitar players in a metal band, and I can keep up no problem at less than half volume.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'll sell you my Gallien Krueger 800RB (I love this amp, but I haven't been in a band for 2 and a half years now and just record direct) and for cabs I would go for an Avatar 2x10

-matt
[email protected]
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier ➑️
B100R is great.
'
These are great little rockers... especially if you crank them. You can get a nice warm grind going that sounds awesome..and really cuts through them "always-turned-up-too-loud" guitar amps.

For even more mojo... go with the B200R
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just to be a crank, I'll tell you that I just bought an Ampeg SVT-CL, and if I could, I'd have sex with it.
Old 28th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Genz Benz or Carvin

Check this Genz Benz out -- heard the shuttle and couldn't believe how much great, gut rumbling sound came out of these amps even with their small speaker cabinet.

Carvin just came out with a similar head: a powerful ultra light, the BX500. Worth checking out. Get the appropriate speaker cabinet and you can bring in something you can practice, lift AND gig with for under your budget.

Look, the ultimate is the humongous SVT I have in my basement studio -- but it isn't EVER leaving there unless I get two gorillas for roadies.

The Shuttle is, so far, the pound for pound Champ!
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
thanks for the replies guys
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmilt23451 ➑️
Markbass LMII is what you need, a great bass amp that is getting a ton of positive feedback from players all over. It is small and light, and sounds great.
+1. Really great.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier ➑️
B100R is great.
'
That's what I gots. thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I ended up tracking down an old Music Man head (HD130 to be exact). Its built as a guitar amp, but has enough controls and a "Deep" switch that makes it one helluva bass amp. Super rad tone. I've been more than satisfied, and often choose it over the Mesa 400+ in the studio.

$350 very well spent.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleysound ➑️
David Eden World Tour head and XLT 2x10 or 1x15 cabinet. There are a variety of heads with different power outputs. Probably $500 for the head and $300 for a cab used. Great warm and fat tones. I never did like Ampeg, too dirty.
Eden's World Tour's have a distinctive, articulate sound. It aint an SVT. Whether you like it or not may depend on the styles of music you are playing. I love mine for blues and jazz and some rock but wish I had an SVT for some stuff.

If you can get a World Tour head and 2*12 at your budget its a great deal. I think the heads nowadays are over a grand US$ new. There is a newish lightweight mini head with fewer controls that seems a bit cheaper. I haven't played through one.

On my Eden Head I never use the 5 bands of semi-parametric EQ (well, twice in really bad rooms), just turn the Enhance knob until the magic happens. For me that's around 1:30 with TI Jazz flats on my Warwick to get the sound I love.

If I was a strapping young buck, though, I'd probably by an SVT, but 90 pounds is over my weight limit.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I've been a bass player for the past 16 years.
I own both Ampeg and Eden rigs.
For recording, I prefer to use a 70's SVT head with an Ampeg 8x10 cab.
It's not a question of vintage tone, it's just the best tried and tested, meat and potatoes bass sound there is. Kind of like the bass players equivalent to a Ludwig kit.

And last, but not least, I've had great results producing a band with the exact Ampeg rig you first mentioned.

Go for it - you'll be more than happy.
Old 31st January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Bass heaven!

Welcome to the BASS world!!!!!

Lot's of great advice already. To be honest, in music we like swag . . . certain names, the bigger the better, especially bass players. I endorse EDEN and I go small. I have a World Traveler 405 head and a 1/12 cabinet. I use an AVALON DI. My rig is pleanty loud for practice and we do get loud. I can never turn it up all they way. I rarely use it for performance, I just plug into the rigs they have or if I have to use it live, i use it as a monitor and run my out through the house system. Plus the big stuff gets old when you are traveling and have to cary it. Having people carry your stuff is not always the best either. I like to handle my own or at least be able to handle my own when I have to.

My only advice is not to spend all your money on swag! Go for tone. Can't go wrong with Ampeg or EDEN.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

Fender's new line is pretty versitile, tonally. The compressor isn't so great...

For a practice amp, or if you need to cover a wide variety of ensembles, they are pretty slick. Not to spendy, either.

-tINY

Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru
An Alembic F2B tube preamp into a Crown micro tech power amp is a great combo you can get used. Then use the Basson 2x10 for 28 hz depth and 500 watts rating, small light and room filling.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
thanks guys, i ve been checking this amp, basically cause its the only Ampeg amp i can afford to buy new, has anyone played with one? do you think it can cover a band practice situation?

Ampeg: Classic Series -MICRO-VR Stack
Old 19th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Buy a Used Amp!

Hi,
Im a pro bass player with 20 years of experience. I personally wouldnt buy a new amp with a limited budget but its a matter of taste. Id go for a 200W tube bass amp. 100W can fall short (especially outdoors) if youre with a loud band. I recommend the Peavey TMaxx. It has both tube and SS preamps, sounds great, does nasty and clean and its cheap $200-300. So many good cabs. I use a 1x15 and a 4x10. Id go for two then you can bring 1 to rehearse and small gigs and both for stadia.
Steve
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Best place for this kind of info is right here:
FDP - Forum
Gear Maniac

7 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➑️
An Alembic F2B tube preamp into a Crown micro tech power amp is a great combo you can get used. Then use the Basson 2x10 for 28 hz depth and 500 watts rating, small light and room filling.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Nice choice! But maybe not the best for a rock band, you need some grind and the Alembic is very clean sounding.

For rock you can even use a big Marshall guitar amp, like ZZ Top did.

If you can find one of those old Acoustic amps with 2x15 cabinets from the 70's, you will blow out the house!

Otherwise, Ampeg is a great choice.
πŸ“ Reply