Quantcast
Just got ATH-M50, harsh! Maybe Denon D2000 next? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Just got ATH-M50, harsh! Maybe Denon D2000 next?
Old 28th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Just got ATH-M50, harsh! Maybe Denon D2000 next?

Just got these phones for a test. They seem harsh and sibilant to me and the bass wasn´t all "that" like everyone is saying. Just doesn´t seem nearly as good as the hype would suggest it. These remind of HD280, which to me was awful headphones, very very harsh (like putting a bucket on your head). These are of course much better, but not great to me.
I think also, that the stereofield in the ATH-M50 is a bit thin. Thinner than HD650 at least. So I´m gonna return these.

I use normally HD600/650, so maybe they are too soft then? (They have their own flaws of course).

But I have noticed that all the closed headphones I´ve tried have this same annoying "harshness", it´s hard to explain with words.

I really would need a closed or half closed headphones with great sound.

Maybe Denon D2000?
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Are you sure it's not just that the headphones are revealing flaws that your nearfield monitoring environment is hiding?

Have you listened to commercial mixes through them?
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
i don't think they sound like HD280s at all, which i hate. for me they've been smooth, full and clear. anything but harsh.
Maybe your headphone amp is harsh?

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just got the ATH-50's and they are not harsh to me at all, but rather smooth at the top as compared to the 7506's I've used for years.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Upgrading all my headphones in the studio to the M50's. I think they are wonderful - smooth, not-harsh, and very good isolation. Compared to the 7506's I had used around here, they were better in every respect and they are much more comfortable too. In my searches since buying a whole slew of 7506's, I've bought two different AKG models, a different Audio-Technica Model and some Beyers. These are hands down my favorite headphone to offer people coming here. Odds are there is something wrong with your setup.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Love the ATH 50's as well. My girlfriend loves them to she has a pair for her own. I have a pair of the ATH-PRO700 SV and love them almost more. They are like the ATH-M 50's but have a hyped bass response because their built for DJ's. I use them when I am tracking myself playing drums because the isolation and build is superb. They are the ones plugged into my main headphone jack. Not and neutral but I dig em.
📝 Reply