Quantcast
'Upgrading' from Emu 1616m to RME Fireface 400 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
'Upgrading' from Emu 1616m to RME Fireface 400
Old 28th January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
'Upgrading' from Emu 1616m to RME Fireface 400

Hi im thinking of 'Upgrading' from Emu 1616m to RME Fireface 400. The main reason is for the stability of the drivers of the FF400. But my main qiestion is; Is the RME Fireface 400 really an upgrade from the EMU 1616m? Ive heard that the EMU has better DA convesion and sounds better? It seem strange as the RME Fireface costs double the EMU 1616m Whats the extra money for?

PS

Is it possible to use the FF400 and Emu 1616m together with a suitable conector? This way I could have the best of both?
Old 19th February 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I know it's an old thread but...

I honestly doubt you'll hear a huge difference up from e-mu 1616m to rme fireface 400. The converters on the e-mu are ranked up there... I have one and I can tell you from personal experience that it sounds as clean as the inside of a new lysol can.
Old 20th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyricalmind ➡️
I know it's an old thread but...

I honestly doubt you'll hear a huge difference up from e-mu 1616m to rme fireface 400. The converters on the e-mu are ranked up there... I have one and I can tell you from personal experience that it sounds as clean as the inside of a new lysol can.
I agree. The EMU ADDA are HIGHLY underrated. I have a MultiFace II. I listen to stuff I did a few years back and really wonder if the 'upgrade' was worth the bread.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It is not an upgrade, not an upgrade, I repeat, not an upgrade! What are your issues with the driver? The EMU PC drivers are pretty darn stable.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyersound ➡️
It is not an upgrade, not an upgrade, I repeat, not an upgrade! .
Listen to this person!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I wouldn't trade the 1820m (Precursor to 1616m) for anything less than an HD system.... Don't like the converters??? Save up a little more and get a used Rosetta 200/800 or Lynx Aurora 8..... Now THAT would be a converter upgrade... and it would go right into the ADAT or S/PDIF on your 1010 card

As far as the comparison between them... they are remarkably similar in terms of numbers of inputs.. the only significant difference being that the 1616m is PCI W/ the audiodock and the FF400 is straight firewire...
Bottom line the 1616m provides less latency, same amount of ins/outs and comparable (I say better) converters
Old 12th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
double e-mu 1616 ?

i use and enjoy the e-mu 1616m, solid, simple and functional dsp. was planning on upgrading to a ff800 for added i/o and rme converters, but then i thought: "why not just grab another 1616 for 1/4 the price" my question for anyone is, is it possible to run 2 1616 at the same time effectivly. i know it was not designed for this and can't find mention of this in the manual. anyone tried it?

-matt
Old 26th March 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I've never had any issues with drivers with the 1616m or 1820m...these units were very underrated, the quality of the recordings with these is unbelievable..been a e-mu user for 5 years.....
📝 Reply