Quantcast
Rolling off high and low end on synth samplers? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rolling off high and low end on synth samplers?
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Rolling off high and low end on synth samplers?

Im watching a video and this guy says when using a outboard synth or even a software synth to roll off the low end because they alot of times cause a low rumble and to cut off the high end to eliminate a high end buzzing.Have yall ever heard of this and what are some good cutoff point for the low and high end if its even worth caring about. I personally never noticed this but that doesnt mean its not there.

AND WHile on the subject where do you roll of the low end on a Bass Guitar?is 40hz too high?
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I usually find that synth sounds are too broadband to blend into a mix well. I'll basically cut everything out that isn't essential, to make the sound small enough. You can high pass a bass guitar wherever, but keep in mind that 40 hz is very close to the open e string, so it might not work in songs in E. Of course, if you boost a touch at 80 hz, you can cut 40hz and still get the sound of a low E note, as your ear will manufacture the low pitch from the harmonic overtones.

I like to bandpass a lot of stuff when mixing. It's sort of the opposite of a hi-fi approach, but it gives each instrument a certain sonic signature that makes for a more interesting listening experience, if that makes sense. Try it!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…