Quantcast
500 - Series Tube Preamps - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
500 - Series Tube Preamps
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
500 - Series Tube Preamps

Any opinions on 500-series tube preamps ? I found these two......

LaChapell 583s Vacuum Tube Preamp

Tubule Tube Preamp

Old 28th January 2009
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Yep, they are both great.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
can not speak for one, but the LaChapell Audio 583s, and 583E, are very very nice!
if you are looking for a tube pre then you MUST give the 583s or 583E a listen!
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 ➑️
can not speak for one, but the LaChapell Audio 583s, and 583E, are very very nice!
if you are looking for a tube pre then you MUST give the 583s or 583E a listen!
I heard samples of the LaChapell Audio 583s and it does sound good !!

It is definitely up there with the best of the 500 series pres .
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumBum ➑️
I heard samples of the LaChapell Audio 583s and it does sound good !!

It is defiantly up there with the best of the 500 series pres .
NTM they cost the most too (for pre's)...
Old 6th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I know this is thread is a bit aged but, PlugHead is correct... the 583 is the most expensive 500 series tube pre out there. Many people have made that observation but, there are basically two reasons for this:
  1. "Cracking-the-Code" on how exactly to pull off firing up a tube in a way that meets VPR requirements requires pretty sophisticated components.
  2. Cosmetic appeal is very important to me. It's nothing to go crazy over but adding a couple nice (but a little expensive) touches here and there helps the user feel good about his/her investment AND, help maintain good resale value when/if the user needs to move the product later on.
You might also note that it's typical for standard rack tube gear to be more expensive than comparable solid-state/discrete gear. Take the Manley ~ Langevin line. Compare the Manley two channel tube pre price to the Langevin two channel discrete price... Not a perfect comparison but I think you get the point... Bottom line, it takes more money to manufacture high-voltage tube gear than it does lower voltage solid-state discrete gear. But, I think it's worth it

Thanks all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugHead ➑️
NTM they cost the most too (for pre's)...
Old 6th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
you should try the Roll Music Systems

it sounds sweet and is one rack space in the 500 rack!
Old 7th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
hmmm looks like too much heat ITB.
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
the 583 dose not put off to much heat!
i spent a LOT of time testing just that to see if it would be a issue for myself, and it was not!
if you want a quality 500 format tube pre, then hands down the LaChapell 583 is your ONLY TRUE option.
the real deal, no pretenders, top self high quality build, and components, a top shelf company offering exceptional product and service, a tube pre that flat out delivers!
LaChapell!!!!!!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott LaChapell ➑️
I know this is thread is a bit aged but, PlugHead is correct... the 583 is the most expensive 500 series tube pre out there. Many people have made that observation but, there are basically two reasons for this:
  1. "Cracking-the-Code" on how exactly to pull off firing up a tube in a way that meets VPR requirements requires pretty sophisticated components.
  2. Cosmetic appeal is very important to me. It's nothing to go crazy over but adding a couple nice (but a little expensive) touches here and there helps the user feel good about his/her investment AND, help maintain good resale value when/if the user needs to move the product later on.
You might also note that it's typical for standard rack tube gear to be more expensive than comparable solid-state/discrete gear. Take the Manley ~ Langevin line. Compare the Manley two channel tube pre price to the Langevin two channel discrete price... Not a perfect comparison but I think you get the point... Bottom line, it takes more money to manufacture high-voltage tube gear than it does lower voltage solid-state discrete gear. But, I think it's worth it

Thanks all!
Also.... it sounds friggin' awesome. My favorite pre.
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalhotdog ➑️
Also.... it sounds friggin' awesome. My favorite pre.
yes it dose!!!!!!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
if you want a quality 500 format tube pre, then hands down the LaChapell 583 is your ONLY TRUE option.
The Tubule does not qualify?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 ➑️
I think what he means is that we didn't send him one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone ➑️
The three watts can't tell the difference between tubes and transistors. Dissipating a given power produces the same amount of heat, regardless of the topology. So no, there's not too much heat in the box as a result of using tube 500-series modules. Everybody with any experience with either of these modules knows this to be the case. We run a 6-space lunchbox filled with Tubules, and the power supply side runs warmer than the modules themselves. You're welcome to come down to the next AES show (NYC) and feel it for yourself.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
yep, I had a pair I rented for awhile and had no problems with heat. Actually I didn't notice it. My LA 2a and other tube gear gets a lot warmer!

Once I actually get my Lunchbox I will be getting a pair of the tubules! I was extremely happy with the amount of control and tone shaping that could be done with them.

I haven't tried the other pre but I have tried a number of tube pres and the tubule was top of the class for sure.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Something to keep in mind is that there's more room for cooling in the 583 than there is in your typical tube microphone. I have a tube mic here at the shop running a NOS 6072 tube (which run a little hotter than the 12AX7 in the 583) and I never have a worry grasping the body of the mic. So it is with the 583. The 583 also sports a very wide cut-out above the tube allowing for additional cooling; taking advantage of the API vents as well. Bottom line, we've gone WAY overboard on providing adequate cooling... no worries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone ➑️
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
the 583 dose not put off to much heat!

the real deal, no pretenders, top self high quality build, and components, a top shelf company offering exceptional product and service, a tube pre that flat out delivers!
LaChapell!!!!!!!!!
I agree 100% thumbsup I have 2 and really love the sound.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Something to keep in mind is that there's more room for cooling in the 583 than there is in your typical tube microphone.

Good Point!
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses ➑️
that is absolutely out of line and you know it!
their is a hugh onslaught of manufactories that have never sent me any gear for review. i have absolutely nothing negative to say, based on rather a company send me gear for review or not!
plus i do not recall even mentioning your product!

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
so are you saying you would like to review one? I'm having a hard time understanding at this point.

on a side note: you should show us a pic of your lunchbox at some point. I have a feeling it is full of many amazing items for me to drool.
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeurloo ➑️
so are you saying you would like to review one? I'm having a hard time understanding at this point.

on a side note: you should show us a pic of your lunchbox at some point. I have a feeling it is full of many amazing items for me to drool.
ulysses made a comment that was out of line with my caricature, and based on the emails and phone calls i got waking me up this morning, i am not alone in that thought.
my integrity means far to much to me to be negative or positive based on rather i see a piece of gear or not.
not to mention the fact, i do see a lot of gear manufacture are not always even aware of, if i like it i will say as much, if i don't i typically try not say anything.

their are plenty of pics on my personal rack on the forum!

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
ulysses made a comment that was out of line with my caricature, and based on the emails and phone calls i got waking me up this morning, i am not alone in that thought.
my integrity means far to much to me to be negative or positive based on rather i see a piece of gear or not.
not to mention the fact, i do see a lot of gear manufacture are not always even aware of, if i like it i will say as much, if i don't i typically try not say anything.

their are plenty of pics on my personal rack on the forum!

Cool, I honestly thought Ulysses was just saying you didn't get one for review and that is why you didn't comment on it. I thought nothing of it. I guess i don't pick up on the negative vibes from simple typing. I just take people at what they say and I didn't see anything other that. I have read the post a few times to try and see what you are saying but I don't see it. You didn't say anything negative about the tubule and I think Ulysses was saying that as well since you didn't have one to review. But I am not hear to defend Ulysses, I think they make cool products and people should check them out. I use some of them everyday!

I understand you fully on the integrity issue and I think that is why everyone here looks forward to your reviews. You aren't trying to sell gear like many of the retailer on the forum that only talk about the items in the catalog. IMO, no harm no foul. keep the reviews coming!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Pan, not so sure why you're so upset. First you slam the Roll Tubule by not even acknowledging it as an option. And you get upset by his mild mannered reply?

Quote:
Is this out of line? Really? Compared to the way you dissed his product?
Quote:
that is absolutely out of line and you know it!

...plus i do not recall even mentioning your product!

It was not mentioning his product that started this whole thing, remember?
Lives for gear

Another vote for the Lachapell 583s. A very classy sounding Mic Pre all the way.
Old 9th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Zero ➑️
It was not mentioning his product that started this whole thing, remember?
There is no "whole thing". Dude's not obligated to have an opinion on every 500-series module on the planet. We didn't happen to send him a unit for review, so I assume his comments about the LaChappell reflect his opinion of the LaChappell and don't say anything at all about our product. Which is fine.

Maybe in addition to all the happy and angry and other smiley faces, there needs to be one with a straight face that just means "take my comment at face value. I'm not implying anything else here". thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Another satisfied user of the the LaChapell 583 here. Awesome customer service too!
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 ➑️
Quote:
There is no "whole thing". Dude's not obligated to have an opinion on every 500-series module on the planet. We didn't happen to send him a unit for review, so I assume his comments about the LaChappell reflect his opinion of the LaChappell and don't say anything at all about our product. Which is fine.

Maybe in addition to all the happy and angry and other smiley faces, there needs to be one with a straight face that just means "take my comment at face value. I'm not implying anything else here". thumbsup
honestly i did not even realize that the thread was about the Tubule verses the 583.
i was thinking about something totally different or i would have worded my comment different.
i have not had a chance to put the Tubule through its paces in my own studio so i can not comment on it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Heard only GREAT things about the tubule and Ulysses is a huge asset here on GS...

...but I own and LOVE a LaChapell 583s and Scott LaChapell is the man!!!
Old 10th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
it is gear slutz. buy them both!
Old 12th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I think that's a fine idea... Justin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeurloo ➑️
it is gear slutz. buy them both!
Old 13th May 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I think that's a fine idea... Justin?
Maybe two of each, just to be sure. Hey, that would fill a 6-slot lunchbox perfectly!
πŸ“ Reply