The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
500 - Series Tube Preamps
Old 13th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Touché! Two of each would be the prudent thing, IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses ➡️
Maybe two of each, just to be sure. Hey, that would fill a 6-slot lunchbox perfectly!
Old 18th September 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm considering these pre's and was wondering why no DI on the Rolls? Anyone ever do a shootout between these 2, I'd love to hear some wavs.
Old 21st September 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Rolls isn't involved! But I'll tell you why there's no DI on the Tubule: There's no room!

I generally prefer an external (active) DI feeding the mike input anyway - though there are of course a few good exceptions. But those exceptions (Great River, Pacifica) involve essentially the same kind of circuitry as you get when you plug an active DI into the mike input. I don't like to use a DI that simply bypasses the input transformer, because the input transformer is an important part of the sound of the Tubule. So, in order to implement the kind of DI I would want on the Tubule, I would have needed a LOT more room to implement more circuitry. In addition to the 1/4" jack, I would need an active impedance buffer. Since this is an all-tube unit, that would mean another tube stage rather than a FET. I would also have needed a switching mechanism to choose between the mike input and the DI. All told, I would have needed another module slot. It would have increased the price several hundred dollars. Much better to just grab an Avenson "Small DI" or "IsoDI" and plug that into the Tubule.
Old 24th September 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Rolls isn't involved! But I'll tell you why there's no DI on the Tubule: There's no room!

I generally prefer an external (active) DI feeding the mike input anyway - though there are of course a few good exceptions. But those exceptions (Great River, Pacifica) involve essentially the same kind of circuitry as you get when you plug an active DI into the mike input. I don't like to use a DI that simply bypasses the input transformer, because the input transformer is an important part of the sound of the Tubule. So, in order to implement the kind of DI I would want on the Tubule, I would have needed a LOT more room to implement more circuitry. In addition to the 1/4" jack, I would need an active impedance buffer. Since this is an all-tube unit, that would mean another tube stage rather than a FET. I would also have needed a switching mechanism to choose between the mike input and the DI. All told, I would have needed another module slot. It would have increased the price several hundred dollars. Much better to just grab an Avenson "Small DI" or "IsoDI" and plug that into the Tubule.
SOLID answer Justin...
thanks for that.
Old 16th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just picked one of these up at Vintage King, can't wait to plug it in and try it out! Assuming I'll want another down the road for a stereo pair is there a calibration that would need to be done to match them?

Quote:

Old 16th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
im really looking foward to the tubule!!!!!!!!

got my radial 5000 spaces spoken for:

2 tubules
2 helios 69
2 BAE 312a
2 avedis ma5

now i just need it to rain money!!!!!!!!!!

the next tube product for 500 series by JLM:
(now we just need a tube eq!!!)
Attached Thumbnails
500 - Series Tube Preamps-jlm-mu-500-comp-proto-front-angle-640.jpg  
Old 22nd December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge ➡️
Just picked one of these up at Vintage King, can't wait to plug it in and try it out! Assuming I'll want another down the road for a stereo pair is there a calibration that would need to be done to match them?
When we're doing final assembly and testing, we try to give adjacent serial numbers a pair of tubes that are well matched, but with the feedback-controlled circuit and our fine tuning of output stage current, the differences between tubes is negligible. The slight differences that may exist between "unmatched" tubules manifest as minor gain variations (~0.2dB) only at the highest gain settings, and those are easily compensated with the input attenuator anyway.
On the other hand, we are constantly striving to improve our products so it's possible a module bought much later than another could be a different revision, with design changes primarily made to refine and streamline the assembly process, to eliminate any reliability/serviceability bottlenecks, and very rarely to actually alter the performance. If you're worried about matching, when the time comes let us know and we'll work with you and the dealer to make sure you end up with two modules that sound exactly alike.
Old 22nd December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 ➡️
yes it dose!!!!!!!!!
Boing
o, dose it?
Old 23rd December 2009 | Show parent
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by science ➡️
o, dose it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 ➡️
yes it dose!!!!!!!!!
Old 23rd December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
You're welcome to come down to the next AES show (NYC) and feel it for yourself.
I'd probably just want to hear the mic pre..........but maybe after a few drinks I'll take you up on that offer .
📝 Reply