Quantcast
New Peavey 3120??!!! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Peavey 3120??!!!
Old 28th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
New Peavey 3120??!!!

Ok so first of all Im personally not into the ultra hi-gain thing. Im into my old marshalls and AC30s and stuff. But as a project studio owner who records mostly metal and hard rock bands I am always in need of a good high gain head or two. I have a dual recto. I am one of the guys who has always failed to get good sound from rectos. So Im selling it this week. Im going to pick up a cheaper hi gain head to have around the studio.

I walked into Guitar Center today and they had the new Peavey 3120 head. Just came out this month. I have always liked the 5150 for tracking metal. But this amp seemed to have a little more life to it, and a decent clean channel. Anyone know anything else about these?
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Buy a good Tube Screamer-type pedal to put in front of your Recto (I use the Maxon OD9 Pro Plus) and it'll be much easier to record. Trust me.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Already been there. Im just not a Recto guy I guess. Love the MkIV though. I think Im just gonna pick up another old 5150 and and one of those Egnater Tourmaster 4100 heads. Those two should do the job quite well. 3120 looks cool but I dont think Im going to spend money on another un-proven Peavey.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Wow I got rid of the three channel dual recto and bought an older two channel version that just kills. I hated the three channel. Why the hell does the old two channel sound so much better? Much easier to get good sounds from. No more rediculous fizz at 5k. Same cab, same tubes, same settings, same mic and pre. Way better sound. Go figure.
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Check out the Bugera amps. A friend of mine runs the developement of the stuff.

http://www.bugera-amps.com/EN/home.aspx

Yes, its a Behringer line, but they have been incredibly responsive to the feedback from a lot of great players....including him. I have one here...along with a Triple Rec, Marshalls, and a bunch of excellent Fenders and Ampegs...it gets used.

Of year.....the prices are great, tough to go wrong.
Old 26th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrogmusc ➑️
Wow I got rid of the three channel dual recto and bought an older two channel version that just kills. I hated the three channel. Why the hell does the old two channel sound so much better? Much easier to get good sounds from. No more rediculous fizz at 5k. Same cab, same tubes, same settings, same mic and pre. Way better sound. Go figure.
2ch RED channel = 3ch ORANGE channel

3ch RED channel: Do NOT have Precense over 9 o clock.

Use the recto with a Tubescreamer.

The 3ch is an exelent amp.
πŸ“ Reply