Quantcast
CPU Efficient Plugins? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
CPU Efficient Plugins?
Old 28th January 2009
  #1
Lives for gear
 
rackdude's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
CPU Efficient Plugins?

Ok, I haven't found a great thread on this yet, so list your plugs you think are CPU efficient. Some good efficient REVERBS is really the focus of this, and some compressors, but if you know some EQ's and delays list them too. But mainly I have found reverbs to be hogs...
Old 28th January 2009
  #2
Gear Nut
 
JD Latorre's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I have the URS "S" series EQs and I am continually impressed with how well they work, and yet use very little DSP. When I first got them I only used them when I maxed out my UAD-1, now I use them as often as the UAD stuff.

As far as reverbs, I can't help you. I love my altiverb, but it sure is not DSP friendly
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
  #3
Lives for gear
 
rackdude's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Nobody wants to share? I guess this is why we are getting quadcores .
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Benmrx's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
The Massey CT4 comp. plug is pretty light on the CPU. The Waves SSL also isn't too bad. The E-Channel is a little heavy, but not too bad. McDSP AC1+AC2 are very CPU friendly and get used on every session. The URS Neve Parametric is also pretty light.

Can't help you with reverb plugs......mainly because I've never used one I really liked.

Running an older PCI-X G5 dual 2.7Ghz + 4GB Ram
Old 28th January 2009
  #5
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackdude ➑️
Ok, I haven't found a great thread on this yet, so list your plugs you think are CPU efficient. Some good efficient REVERBS is really the focus of this, and some compressors, but if you know some EQ's and delays list them too. But mainly I have found reverbs to be hogs...
Breverb
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Matti's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Breverb or CSR are light on you processor, for example.

Matti
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
judah's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
URS EQs are so light I have to put tons of'em before the CPU meter moves.
Stillwells are very light too.

I don't use many reverbs but usually I start off with the UAD Plate 140 (and that is only a UAD thing so....).
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
  #8
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Waves Trueverb is really efficient. I use a lot of room verbs and Trueverb does that better IMHO than anything else I've tried while being reasonably light on CPU, considering the sound quality. I rarely use another reverb.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Try the Sonalksis plugs.

The comp and eq is nice and not to bad cpu wise
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
  #10
GS Community Manager
 
Whitecat's Avatar
Wave Arts' stuff is all pretty CPU-friendly. Well, not sure about their restoration stuff but the standard plug-ins in the Power Suite are.

The older URS stuff is easy on the cores, too.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
  #11
Lives for gear
 
macgee's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i don't understand why people want CPU efficient plugins. it's far cheaper to buy a new computer than to buy some of the outboard that would be required to give you excellent quality audio processing.

for efficiency, the best option would have to be TC Powercore of UAD since they give hardware quality processing with plugin simplicity.

i for one would prefer for a developer to make a plugin more processor intensive to ensure they dont cut corners

breverb is a good efficient reverb plugin though
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
I only like two plug-in reverbs so far, VirSyn REFLECT and Softube Spring Reverb. REFLECT is not CPU efficient. TL Space is fairly for being the type of reverb it is, but I don't really like it.

Other plug-ins that are efficient that you might enjoy: McDSP Analog Channel, early URS EQ's as already mentioned, Abbey Roads Brilliance Pack I suppose. Stock plug-ins, regardless of which DAW they come with are USUALLY easy on the CPU.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
  #13
Lives for gear
 
euphoria89's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Was going to mention the processors that come with your daw platform will be fairly efficient. (not nessassarily going to be great sounding however!)
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
  #14
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Samplitude plug-ins are all very light on cpu and I really like the results I get with them.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
  #15
Lives for gear
 
rackdude's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by macleodgrant ➑️
i don't understand why people want CPU efficient plugins. it's far cheaper to buy a new computer than to buy some of the outboard that would be required to give you excellent quality audio processing.
What are you smoking? I just want to know which plugs I can buy and use many tracks of at the same time. The difference between like, what's mentioned here, say CSR, vs a cpu intensive verb is a good difference to know if you want a new reverb and you don't have money for a new reverb AND a computer. I'm not looking to buy any outboard, I also think it's cheaper to just use what I have. So that's why I want it CPU friendly.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
  #16
Lives for gear
 
doubledecker's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Waves stuff is usually programmed well, so your Ren eq, Ren comp and other usual suspects are pretty light on CPU.
Princeton Digital Reverb 2016 is also good.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
  #17
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
URS A+N EQ'S and Saturation. Mcdsp filterbank, compressorbank, analog channel. Massey Plugs in general. Waves SSL channel. Sonnox EQ. Stillwell Verbiage is a very good reverb, and not too hungry.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
  #18
Lives for gear
 
mobilemozart's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
The older Waves-Stuff like RennMaxx or L1 etc. got to be highly efficient as they were originally designed to run on Mac G3s or Pentium Computers - came out first in 2000/2001 if I remember right. I still think they're 1st class plug-ins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledecker ➑️
Waves stuff is usually programmed well, so your Ren eq, Ren comp and other usual suspects are pretty light on CPU.
Princeton Digital Reverb 2016 is also good.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #19
Lives for gear
 
rackdude's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by recall ➑️
URS A+N EQ'S and Saturation. Mcdsp filterbank, compressorbank, analog channel. Massey Plugs in general. Waves SSL channel. Sonnox EQ. Stillwell Verbiage is a very good reverb, and not too hungry.
Nice list. I think I may try the Stillwell for now.


Anyone have anything to add?
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #20
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
rackman dude.
i dont know if your aware of this but reaper shows the resource useage of a plug in etc.
if you havent done so already, check out the large list of plug ins in reaper.
there are also many reaper folks makeing plug ins like stillwell n many others.
check the reaper discussion forums for lots of interesting stuff too.
just this week i saw a new eq plug in someone posted.
theres loads of eq stuff in reaper. too much to list.
i also use in reaper the dx plug in fx suite from the other daw ive used for a long time.
powertraks. low resource useage again, ...little known and underrrated imho.
try the echo chorus n reverb plug in on vocs sometime. even has a rta.
plus tc helicon built in in software.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #21
Lives for gear
 
macgee's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackdude ➑️
What are you smoking? I just want to know which plugs I can buy and use many tracks of at the same time. The difference between like, what's mentioned here, say CSR, vs a cpu intensive verb is a good difference to know if you want a new reverb and you don't have money for a new reverb AND a computer. I'm not looking to buy any outboard, I also think it's cheaper to just use what I have. So that's why I want it CPU friendly.
i'm high on life man!
my post wasn't meant to come across in a bad way; it's just a point that i feel is valid. many developers are making plugins efficient while at the same time compromising the quality - cutting corners so to speak but this is their loss at the end of day

the situation is getting better though

as far as CPU efficient plugins go, i'm not too sure really as i've never watched the CPU meters closely enough to know. i demo a plugin, if it sounds good it's good
i do throw tons of sonnox eq & comp, renn eq, and duy valve all over the place and the CPU handles well. breverb is a nice native verb and apparently it's cpu efficient

you'll probably find that most plugins are efficient but if your session is not set up correctly for the situation then you could find you're not getting as much juice as you possibly could.

Examples:
1) for mixing, always set you buffer to around 1024 for best performance
2) if you're on protools, automate the bypass on the plugin because they stay active even if no audio is playing - in logic this isn't as much an issue cos it deals with gaps differently
3) always keep your audio files on a separate & fast hard drive to the application/system
4) for plugin intensive sessions and sessions with many regions, ensure you have at least 3-4gigs of RAM
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #22
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Bypassing a plugin in Pro Tools does not make it inactive. Therefore a bypassed plugin uses just as much cpu as when it IS in the chain.

As far aas I know ther is no way t omake plugs inactive using using automation.

Apple-shift-click.

I work on a dual 2.0ghz G5. The only issues I have is when using stuff like IR based reverbs. I tend to sub mix as I go anyway mixing the drums down to stereo, using audiosuite etc.

If you are using Pro Tools a good way t osave CPU is to get the settings right in the RTAS then go to "copy settings", load the audiosuite version ad paste the settings across then process the file to a new playlist so you can always go back to the un proc'd track.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
  #23
Deleted 99dc753
Guest
i find the the waves sll friendly and good sounding yes it is an eq sword and no scalpel

Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
  #24
Lives for gear
 
3rdeyeKnight's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by macleodgrant ➑️
3) always keep your audio files on a separate & fast hard drive to the application/system
This is an interesting one that may apply to me. Can you give more detail as to why this way is better? I'm using Sonar. Excuse my ignorance if this is considered self-explanatory.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Matti's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Yes it helps if audio files are on their own hd and if you use vstiΒ΄s or samples,
they also on their own. ItΒ΄s about the speed of hard drives.

Matti
Old 31st January 2009
  #26
Lives for gear
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The Airwindows stuff is very CPU efficient. It's only available as audio units
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
  #27
Lives for gear
 
macgee's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by recall ➑️
Bypassing a plugin in Pro Tools does not make it inactive. Therefore a bypassed plugin uses just as much cpu as when it IS in the chain.

As far aas I know ther is no way t omake plugs inactive using using automation.

Apple-shift-click.

I work on a dual 2.0ghz G5. The only issues I have is when using stuff like IR based reverbs. I tend to sub mix as I go anyway mixing the drums down to stereo, using audiosuite etc.

If you are using Pro Tools a good way t osave CPU is to get the settings right in the RTAS then go to "copy settings", load the audiosuite version ad paste the settings across then process the file to a new playlist so you can always go back to the un proc'd track.
Actually that sounds familiar now...
That is very inefficient of pro tools if you ask me. one of the reasons I preferred using logic in the early days was because I couldn't run complex sessions on my G4 inpro tools
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
  #28
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
I agree Grant. I record location projects on a G4 Powerbook, this is no problem as I generally don't use plugins when I record.

I then mix these projects on my G5. The problem comes when I need to overdub on location. I don't like overdubbing to a stereo bounce so it means I have to prep my sessions so they will open without hanging on the G4.

I have Logic Express and It is good. Thats undeniable. There are a lot of things I like about it, but I just can't get into the audio editing capabilities.

I guess I just prefer Pro Tools, but am lumbered with the "OK" hardware and the nuisance factors which Dig build into the line.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
  #29
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackdude ➑️
What are you smoking? I just want to know which plugs I can buy and use many tracks of at the same time. The difference between like, what's mentioned here, say CSR, vs a cpu intensive verb is a good difference to know if you want a new reverb and you don't have money for a new reverb AND a computer. I'm not looking to buy any outboard, I also think it's cheaper to just use what I have. So that's why I want it CPU friendly.
Why are you using a dozen instances on a per track basis? If you are concerned about efficiency why not be using sends to an effect track? Many tracks benefitting from a single instance of the effect that way
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
  #30
Lives for gear
 
rackdude's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect ➑️
Why are you using a dozen instances on a per track basis? If you are concerned about efficiency why not be using sends to an effect track? Many tracks benefitting from a single instance of the effect that way
I never said I was using a dozen instances, did I? In fact, I already have everything to group and effect tracks, its still a crap computer. The harddrive idea is a good one, but I mean, if I buy a new effect, I'm just looking for one that I can put a few different instances because even if you have it on an effects track I want more than one reverb for the whole song... that means a few effects tracks.

I think I will be checking out Breverb. Good and easy on the cpu it seems. That's what I was looking for heh
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 194 views: 38657
Avatar for LeMauce
LeMauce 11th November 2008
replies: 156 views: 19448
Avatar for djrustycans
djrustycans 28th December 2009
replies: 295 views: 74033
Avatar for anguswoodhead
anguswoodhead 26th March 2013
replies: 1296 views: 181406
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump