Quantcast
To EP, or not to EP: that is the question - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
To EP, or not to EP: that is the question
View Poll Results: To EP, or not to EP: that is the question
an EP is a great way to test the waters
29 Votes - 74.36%
don't be a wimp, full length CD (even if cost more time and money)
6 Votes - 15.38%
put some random demos and instrumental versions on it and call it an extended EP
0 Votes - 0%
go the iTunes only route
4 Votes - 10.26%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
To EP, or not to EP: that is the question

How do you feel about an EP verses releasing a full length record? Any pros or cons? I was thinking of going straight to iTunes but the idea of not having to burn CDs all the time to pitch the project would be nice. I should mention these "bands" started as TV or commercial pitches, which were licensed. I know, at least within my small community, most commercial and film/tv supervisors love to discover new bands and it would be good if these projects were out in the marketplace as their own entities and not just as a subset of what I do. There will be no touring, no PR just additional licensings, including a couple high profile projects in the spring - hopefully.
Old 28th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Not sure of your poll...I would say do an EP for iTunes only, which wasn't really an option. If you aren't doing any performing or touring to promote, then I really doubt anyone is going to be looking in a store for the album. It's a singles world now...with iTunes.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Agreed, it's a singles world now.
Vum
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Release a full length and then follow up quickly with an EP comprised of demos and tracks that didn't make the cut. Straight to iTunes and enough pressed to sell at shows should see a return in a little less than a thousand years.
Lives for gear

EPs are cool. Great for selling cheap at gigs, a nice way to create an affordable, high-quality recording that can land a new tune or two on the Myspace. Yeah...EPs are A-OK in my book
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The real question is whether it should run at 33 or 45rpm.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you aren't touring... it's hard to go a different route than say "Print 200 for promo purposes and go straight to itunes".

Especially since you can always re-print if needed later...

EP's are great.
People have short attention spans these days...

Especially to start out... ep's rule.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
these days, it's the quality of the songwriting/performance, not the quantity.

*note that i didn't say "quality of recordings"
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I voted for the EP. Producing an album isn´t necessary to get people´s
attention. And (as mentioned above in another post) it´s easier to
sell it...
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
We've been selling bands on EP's a lot recently. As stated above, it's quality not quantity. Given the same budget, it will do a lot more for an artist or band to have a killer EP rather than a mediocre record. "All killer. No Filler."

Also, does the band really have enough quality material to fill an LP? To the OP, this is a little different than a band just starting out. But still, EP rocks.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Like mentioned above, if all the tracks are quality, nothing wrong with an EP. It gives people a cheaper entry point to new bands and they still feel like they are getting a complete work.

The part you need to figure out is how to promote the EP without touring.
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
EPs have become more trendy these days in my studio at least.
Go EP. A full length album of 10 songs will take 3-4 times longer than an ep of 5 or 6 songs.
Its just the way it works.heh
If you have a licensing deal that needs 10 songs, then you will have to go the full CD route.
Otherwise, just go ep with the cardboard box and sell them at shows for 5 bucks, or even give them away.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This is all well and good but you are looking at the same amount of promotion costs with an ep as an album. Also the reverse is people may feel like an EP is too short.. i dunno.. just trying to show the other side of it
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Start with an EP; there are several advantages
1. financial: it costs less to produce a good sounding record> the selling price is lower, give-away has less impact on the balance of the band.
2. musical: it's easier to produce as there a less songs. As a starting band you can not expect to deliver 10 great songs and you need time to develop a band sound.
3. promotional: invest part of the money you save in good artwork so that EP, band website and other promotional material complement each other and put forward a recognizable product. (There are many bands who forget that promotion is more than giving away free stuff).

If you have too many good songs for an EP but not enough for an album, make a low-profile live videoclip of one of these songs for your website. If you're smart it does not have to cost a lot of money but the impact is bigger than one extra song recorded in the studio.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo ➡️
The real question is whether it should run at 33 or 45rpm.
45 RPM, 12", 4 tracks
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I am producing about twice as many EP's these days as albums. Turned around. Bands can get in cost effectively and have a product to push to the industry and sell at gigs. It is also not uncommon now to produce a couple of EP's independently and then combine them with a few new tunes for a long player. No set way way to go really.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisle 6 ➡️
It is also not uncommon now to produce a couple of EP's independently and then combine them with a few new tunes for a long player.
A good reason to spend your money well, when recording for an EP.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga ➡️
people may feel like an EP is too short..
Just what you want...keep 'em wanting moreheh

🎧 10 years
Depends on your market really, and what you are trying to accomplish with it. Do you gig? if so you'll want some kind of physical copy to either sell or give away. An EP is good for this, because it keeps people wanting more. Then you can build up hype and release a more successful full-length.

Don't worry about 'making a statement' with an EP, just fill it with 4-6 really good songs, songs that keep people interested.

An EP is also a better 'calling card' when trying to get publicity and airplay. If you aren't a known entity, nobody cares about your full length cd chronicling the life and times of a somali pirate. They just want to hear 2-3 songs, and if you impress, they'll remember you.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Define "EP"

Meet The Beatles was 26 minutes 43 seconds. Was that an LP or an EP? Do consumers feel ripped off if they buy an album and it's only a half hour?

Artistically, make the work as long as it is. IMO most albums are too long these days. IMO 99.9999999999% of double LP albums - yes, we're talking White Album - should have been single LP. Then again, if you're work is the next Quadraphrenia...

Business-wise, are you gigging where you can sell physical copies? If so, press those 1,000 discs. If not, IMO, downloads all the way.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd much rather see a group make a nice, well done EP than a half baked Full.

I also think that today, not having new product for that long cn kill a band.

I've been working with some bands by doing 3 songs a quarter, doing short run EPs and online, and then putting the 12 songs on a full length after a year.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Wow, thank you for all the responses. I am personally leaning EP for the current project I am working on, which we could literally press in the next week or two. Where as my co-writer wants to wait and do a full length. I honestly feel like this project will be out of date if we wait too long. When we wrote the first tunes in May, I felt ahead of the curve, now I feel like we could be perceived as derivative, which sucks.
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
EP if it's reasonably priced. CD 13,- Euros, EP 8,- Euros.
Claus

PS: My girlfriend states: EP if it's mauve.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
If you have a day job, EP so that you can get product out at least once or twice a year. If you get to work all day, LP.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…