Quantcast
Thin vocals - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Thin vocals
Old 27th January 2009
  #1
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Thin vocals

Hey.
I'm recording a metal band atm. And the lead singer seems to be singing to much of soft pop. So he dosen't have that rough voice. Rather he has a very clean and soft voice.
As far as I can see, I dont quite know how to beef it up.
My recording chain is: Microphone (Rode M3 atm) and directly into Focusrite Saffire Pro 10i/o. Nothing fancy.

Any tips?
preamps and new microphones are welcome. ($1000 - $1500 is the budget.)

Thanks
Mixbuster.
Old 27th January 2009
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Mike Brown's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixbuster ➑️
Hey.
I'm recording a metal band atm. And the lead singer seems to be singing to much of soft pop. So he dosen't have that rough voice. Rather he has a very clean and soft voice.
As far as I can see, I dont quite know how to beef it up.
My recording chain is: Microphone (Rode M3 atm) and directly into Focusrite Saffire Pro 10i/o. Nothing fancy.

Any tips?
preamps and new microphones are welcome. ($1000 - $1500 is the budget.)

Thanks
Mixbuster.
Do you have any ribbon mics or any mics that have a figure 8 pattern?

Figure 8 displays the most proximity effect and can beef up a vocal.
Old 27th January 2009
  #3
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixbuster ➑️
Hey.
I'm recording a metal band atm. And the lead singer seems to be singing to much of soft pop. So he dosen't have that rough voice. Rather he has a very clean and soft voice.
As far as I can see, I dont quite know how to beef it up.
My recording chain is: Microphone (Rode M3 atm) and directly into Focusrite Saffire Pro 10i/o. Nothing fancy.

Any tips?
preamps and new microphones are welcome. ($1000 - $1500 is the budget.)

Thanks
Mixbuster.
Get an EV RE20 - you can get right on it & everything naturally sounds more aggressive.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #4
Gear Guru
 
tINY's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years


You can try adding a bit of Old Number 7.



-tINY

Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #5
Lives for gear
 
ScumBum's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
What I do is Slam the vocal hard with an 1176 or another colored comp to give it some life .
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #6
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor999 ➑️
Do you have any ribbon mics or any mics that have a figure 8 pattern?

Figure 8 displays the most proximity effect and can beef up a vocal.
No I dont have any.

Quote:
You can try adding a bit of Old Number 7.



-tINY
What is an Old Nummer 7?

Quote:
What I do is Slam the vocal hard with an 1176 or another colored comp to give it some life .
I though buying the Golden Age Project PRE-73 mic pre, and maybe an DBX-160a. Any thoughtS?

The 1176 is a little to expensive atm.

Thanks..
Mixbuster
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #7
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixbuster ➑️
The 1176 is a little to expensive atm.

Thanks..
Mixbuster
buy a UAD and use their 1176 or any of the many other BIG sounding compressors that they offer.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Jake Dempsey's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
SM7b will give you a beefier sound.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Mike Brown's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixbuster ➑️
No I dont have any.

What is an Old Nummer 7?

I though buying the Golden Age Project PRE-73 mic pre, and maybe an DBX-160a. Any thoughtS?

The 1176 is a little to expensive atm.

Thanks..
Mixbuster
The pre is not going to do much. A mic would probably be a much wiser investment in changing the "sound" of the vocalist.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #10
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmunchkin ➑️
buy a UAD and use their 1176 or any of the many other BIG sounding compressors that they offer.
You mean the plug-ins?
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #11
Lives for gear
 
bcgood's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY ➑️


You can try adding a bit of Old Number 7.



-tINY

Yep them SM's nice for making thin sound thicker. Made MJ's thin feminine voice into something more werewolf like.

You know what I mean?
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #12
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixbuster ➑️
You mean the plug-ins?
ummm yea. Love my UAD.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #13
Lives for gear
 
cavern's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
a little distortion and compression on the vox might help.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #14
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood ➑️
Yep them SM's nice for making thin sound thicker. Made MJ's thin feminine voice into something more werewolf like.

You know what I mean?
Now I get it! The Sm7b? thumbsup
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #15
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern ➑️
a little distortion and compression on the vox might help.
Mic pre dist? Or compression dist? what dist?
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #16
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmunchkin ➑️
ummm yea. Love my UAD.
What UAD do you have?
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #17
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor999 ➑️
The pre is not going to do much. A mic would probably be a much wiser investment in changing the "sound" of the vocalist.
Do you think a bright mic would do it? or a darker?

Frippel post, yeay! ...
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Mike Brown's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY ➑️


You can try adding a bit of Old Number 7.



-tINY


Does he mean Jack Daniels?
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
  #19
Lives for gear
 
malaclypse's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
an old number 7?


Well, that's where we go a-ridin' into town, a whampin' and whompin' every livin' thing that moves within an inch of its life. Except the women folks, of course.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
  #20
Gear Guru
 
tINY's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years







-tINY

Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
  #21
Lives for gear
 
gwailoh's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I doubt that any gear will happily compensate for the wrong singer.

So maybe the goal is to do the best you can with what you have.

Are you double-tracking the guy's vocals? Try triple-tracking them. Try squashing the snot out of the doubling or tripling tracks.

Try working your gain stages to add some THD. Find the gain stage which sounds best when pushed past design specs and push it some more. Try doing that with the doubling or tripling tracks so that the main vocal track sounds natural, but has girth behind it. Try a distortion plugin on the doubled tracks.

Are you using parallel compression on the vocal? I don't usually do that, but, maybe this is a case where it makes sense.

Get crazy with the eq.

I hope something in here helps!
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
  #22
Gear Guru
 
tINY's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years


Performance is everything - a few shots at a strip club before tracking is indicated.




-tINY

Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
  #23
Lives for gear
 
cavern's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixbuster ➑️
Mic pre dist? Or compression dist? what dist?
a distortion plug in as in overdrive or such, same as you would use on a guitar. just a tiny bit till the voice starts to get a little course. see what happens, then compress it.
i've gotten interesting results with that, all you can do is try it.

another thing that might help is duplicate his vocal track and ever so slightly mis-align them, it fattens up the track.

if he can do it, have him sing it 3 times, and blend them together, 2 of them being way down in volume in support of the main one, you can try to distort the bottom 2. i assume your trying to make him sound big, a little gritty and a little less boy band like.
you just got to play around with it.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
  #24
Lives for gear
 
bcgood's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY ➑️







-tINY

That's a winning combo.

Could I substitute Grey Goose and Cran or a couple of Sierra Nevada's though for the latter?
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
  #25
Lives for gear
 
cavern's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY ➑️

Performance is everything - a few shots at a strip club before tracking is indicated.




-tINY
you know, i never thought of that but that is one great tip.
a happy aggression plug-in sort of speak.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Unclenny's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmunchkin ➑️
buy a UAD and use their 1176 or any of the many other BIG sounding compressors that they offer.
From the low end of town........BF76 on a parellel bus can do wonders.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
  #27
Lives for gear
 
ScumBum's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny ➑️
From the low end of town........BF76 on a parellel bus can do wonders.
Yeah the BF1176 plugin , attack 6 release 7 , 12 ratio and slam to -15 instant vocal magic
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
  #28
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern ➑️
a distortion plug in as in overdrive or such, same as you would use on a guitar. just a tiny bit till the voice starts to get a little course. see what happens, then compress it.
i've gotten interesting results with that, all you can do is try it.

another thing that might help is duplicate his vocal track and ever so slightly mis-align them, it fattens up the track.

if he can do it, have him sing it 3 times, and blend them together, 2 of them being way down in volume in support of the main one, you can try to distort the bottom 2. i assume your trying to make him sound big, a little gritty and a little less boy band like.
you just got to play around with it.
I guess this is applied at the mixing stage? heh
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
  #29
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwailoh ➑️
I doubt that any gear will happily compensate for the wrong singer.

So maybe the goal is to do the best you can with what you have.

Are you double-tracking the guy's vocals? Try triple-tracking them. Try squashing the snot out of the doubling or tripling tracks.

Try working your gain stages to add some THD. Find the gain stage which sounds best when pushed past design specs and push it some more. Try doing that with the doubling or tripling tracks so that the main vocal track sounds natural, but has girth behind it. Try a distortion plugin on the doubled tracks.

Are you using parallel compression on the vocal? I don't usually do that, but, maybe this is a case where it makes sense.

Get crazy with the eq.

I hope something in here helps!
Thanks for advice. But I have a problem, when I double track, the vocalist is having some trouble beeing in sync with himself, and it all gets kind of a phasey sound.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
  #30
Lives for gear
 
ScumBum's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixbuster ➑️
Thanks for advice. But I have a problem, when I double track, the vocalist is having some trouble beeing in sync with himself, and it all gets kind of a phasey sound.
Then use a short Delay on his vocals . It simulates a doubling effect .
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 5883 views: 1882385
Avatar for nobtwiddler
nobtwiddler 2 days ago
replies: 62 views: 67628
Avatar for Alex Kretov
Alex Kretov 27th May 2019
replies: 1178 views: 265416
Avatar for bill5
bill5 2 weeks ago
replies: 90 views: 15938
Avatar for edva
edva 7th January 2015
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump