Questions about Dynaudio BM5A - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Questions about Dynaudio BM5A
Old 27th January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Questions about Dynaudio BM5A

Hi

I did a lot of research finding the right monitors, i have a grand as budget, and it came down to the BM5A's. But i still got 2 unsolved questions about them. And i can't test them btw.

1) How is the low end without a sub? Is it lacking? Because i've read some mixed opinions about the low end, some say it's not bad and does the job. I'm not going to make techno or anything but bass is always important.

2) I've read in a review that vocals come out bad and muddy?

From what i've read, it looks like a better deal than the Adam A7's and Genelec 8030A's in my opinion. And the only ones i could test where the Adam A7's, they sounded really clear but lacking a bit in the low end.

Thank you!
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I love the BM5A's for the money. Certainly a sub would be ideal, but the low end is where i noticed the biggest difference between the A7's and others in this price range. To me, the imaging in the low end on the BM5A's is what sold me on them.

I've not really had any huge issues with vocals either.
Old 27th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur C ➑️
Hi

I did a lot of research finding the right monitors, i have a grand as budget, and it came down to the BM5A's. But i still got 2 unsolved questions about them. And i can't test them btw.

1) How is the low end without a sub? Is it lacking? Because i've read some mixed opinions about the low end, some say it's not bad and does the job. I'm not going to make techno or anything but bass is always important.

2) I've read in a review that vocals come out bad and muddy?

From what i've read, it looks like a better deal than the Adam A7's and Genelec 8030A's in my opinion. And the only ones i could test where the Adam A7's, they sounded really clear but lacking a bit in the low end.

Thank you!
i've had numerous comments from clients about the low end in my BM5As - comments like "do you have a sub hooked up?"

i placed my BM5As in a corner at that accentuated the low end nicely. no sub required. occasionally when i do my mix listen check on my polk towers in my living room there is some super subby thing that i missed on the bm5as... but 99% of the time they are perfect as far as what they are telling me.

as far as vocals go, i'm not sure how a speaker would affect vocals specifically. but what i can tell you is that the midrange on the dynaudios is very nice. thats something that has always bothered me about Genelecs.... the midrange is 3 blocks down the road. but some people love the Genelecs, so what do i know. i have zero experience with Adam monitors, but everyone here seems to love them.

i'm sticking with my BM5As. they work in my room. i've taken them elsewhere and they don't work as well as they do in my space. <shrug>

try them and make sure you can return them... and try putting them in a corner to avoid needing a sub...
Old 28th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:

How is the low end without a sub? Is it lacking? Because i've read some mixed opinions about the low end, some say it's not bad and does the job. I'm not going to make techno or anything but bass is always important.
I'd be interested to know this as well -- specifically how the low end stacks up in comparison to the A7's. I had previously thought that the consensus was that the A7's had a superior low end, but now I'm starting to wonder. I could just be confusing the 121,301,928,109,230 articles I've read lately. Also, the Adams are front ported, and the Dyn's are rear ported, which you may want to take into consideration if you have a small room with the monitors up against the walls.

Also, Here are links to reviews of each in soundonsound:

Dynaudio BM5A

ADAM A7
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use bm5As on a daily basis and I would say for nearfileds their size I couldn't be happier. Their lo-end response is very accurate. It's not hyped like in a lot of speakers in their category (which usually results in inacurate imaging and tons of mud in the 180-250Hz range) but it's definitely there.

On the other hand I use mid-fields to get the lo end. Not because I couldn't do it on bm5As but because I wanna feel both kick and base while I'm getting their sounds. You need a bigger box to get that... Physics.... Whatcha gonna do.

So if you are in your home studio and looking for a main set of speakers I'd say go with god. Just make sure you put enough effort into soundproofing and treating your room. My educated guess is that most people that are unhappy with the lo end on bm5As either want it hyped (as in KRKs, M-Audios, Events) or are experiencing lo freq cancellations in their monitoring environment.

Disclaimer: I have neve mixed a dance/club track in my life (I have been doing quite a bit of lo-end heavy hip-hop tho) so you might need an opinion from somebody experienced with that.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thnx for the replies so far! So the low end is pretty good after all!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The bass is fine. You can effectively hear 30 Hz from where Im sitting. I have my monitors 1/3 down my room and have bass traps (helps a ton). Setting up a no reflection zone and bass trapping is very important in a small room. If anything, these are too much for my room!

I've thought about the sub, but I've found my bass in my mixes was fine. The only thing is you have to watch the upper mids on these babies, but if you can get over that you have a winner.

Never used A7, never wanted to.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
watch the upper mids on these babies, but if you can get over that you have a winner.

Do you find there are a few holes in the mids?

Do they have just enough headroom to be loud when you need loud?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They are not loud speakers. I think their purpose is to be flat at reasonable listening volumes (how loud do you wanna crank a pair of speakers that's 5' from your head anyway?).

If you want loud or if you wanna supplement your bm5as with an oumph pair of speakers without draining your budget try the Event ESP8. Now there's the low end you feel in your bowels. I couldn't mix on them for the life of me but I used to keep a pair around for clients and nailing the bottom for the longest time.

As to the high-mid issue the previous post refered to - I personally don't find it an issue at all. They sound soft. Not muffled, not inacurate in the 2-5K range, but soft. I don't have any translation issues with them whatsoever and I work on them for hours without fatigue or loss of concentration.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The BM5a are good, revealing monitors with great treble detail and accurate bass. However, I don't like the design of their port (though for a circular port it is well done, double flared to avoid undue port noise) and I couldn't help but feel that they get bogged down when the lower midrange and midbass are busy. Compared to the KRK VXT 6 in the same price range, they could get muddy when the material became demanding. I would say that both the BM5a and the VXT 6 had great imaging and soundstaged perfectly when set up well. The sonic differences came down to a matter of preference, and I can't say I didn't agonize a bit over the choice. They were both enticing options with strengths and weaknesses compared to the other, but in the end after a few hours of listening to very familiar material and extensive A/Bing I took the VXT 6 home. I think that in the price range they are both very effective monitors and would allow you to make accurate and translatable mixes once you get to know them. But I work with material that involves a lot of saturation in the midrange, lower midrange, and midbass, so the superior detail in that region and the seeming inability to go to mud made the VXT 6 a superior choice for me. If your needs include absolute treble detail, the BM5a might edge out the competition (though I'd also urge you in that case to look into the Adam A7). The BM5a are a very, very inoffensive monitor, and don't have significant deficiencies in any area, which makes them a great entry into the world of "real" monitors (real here being understood as an investment instead of a stop-gap). A bit of trivia for you, the BM5a use the same drivers as the more expensive and well-regarded BM6a, but the amplifier is half as powerful and the enclosure is more basic in its design.

If the comparison interest you, make sure you check out the 90W biamplified VXT 6 - they are the second generation of the product and offer significant improvements over the first, which can be identified by its 120W biamp.

Edit: I mix with a sub, crossover at 80hz, for informational purposes. But the test of the monitors was done with just them doing what they do, no crossover, no high-pass.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hm yeah, i'll check out the KRK VX6's also. And i might buy a sub later on but i'm going to have to treat my room first, which will be a hard job also.

And thnx for the info everybody!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Use BM5a's every day and am very happy. Like any set of monitors once you are tuned to them great results can be had. Low end is not a problem. I would have a low end problem if i mixed on the A7's, because on those i feel I would need a sub. Perhaps it was just the room i was demoing them in a few years back but the adam's didn't seem as full. If the lower mids get busier on these than other monitors as another poster says it just keeps you aware of buildup in that area. I'm not aware of this problem but it could be. Very happy user here.

Russell
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
BM5a--50 Hz is lowest frequency

How the heck can you hear 30 cycles when they bottom out at 50?

Also, for one of the previous writers, I'd be very hesitant to put them in the corners, where your bass will be accentuated considerably and, depending on your room, your stereo imagining will be off. If they are in the corners, they need to be soffit mounted and flush. Not normally done with nearfield monitors. Check out Bob Katz's chapter on monitoring in Mastering Audio. there are loads of resources in the net as well. Your corners are where you need bass trapping, I would think.

I have BM6a's and they are fantastic monitors for the price. I certainly don't feel like they hold me back, and I would have been fine with 5a's too.

W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Tolentino ➑️
The bass is fine. You can effectively hear 30 Hz from where Im sitting. I have my monitors 1/3 down my room and have bass traps (helps a ton). Setting up a no reflection zone and bass trapping is very important in a small room. If anything, these are too much for my room!

I've thought about the sub, but I've found my bass in my mixes was fine. The only thing is you have to watch the upper mids on these babies, but if you can get over that you have a winner.

Never used A7, never wanted to.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I got a pair of A7s instead of Bm5a's, more accurate, detailed in the mids and highs, the bass are tight... IMO. We also have pair of Bm6a's which I like but close, analytical monitoring the A7s are ace. BUT...monitors are like headphones, everybody seems to have a different opinion so...Just to add, I tried side by side the Bm5a's, the A7s, the P11 and the Bm6a's. In the studio we have Bm6a's, KRK V6's (I don't like them) and A7's.
Old 28th January 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I can recommend the Bm6a MKII's which have a more powerfull low end as they have a different and more powerfull amplifier then the BM5a's. They sound clear as far as checking the bass on them they are tight and accurate. To properly mix bass frequencies you need to turn them up a bit like any other monitor. The quality is amazing and flat. When placing vocals they are not pushed foward like event or makie monitors. They sit exactly where ever you put them in a mix. This allows you to accurately place vocals to your liking without woring whether they will transfer well to other systems.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
The BM6A is out of my budgetrange and i think the Dynaudio BM5A's have a better size in my situation. Otherwise i would go for the BM6A's off course.

And the Adam A7 monitors must be really clear because i've read that a lot.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

They are.
At low volume and in this price range they are hard to beat.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorfish ➑️
How the heck can you hear 30 cycles when they bottom out at 50?

Also, for one of the previous writers, I'd be very hesitant to put them in the corners, where your bass will be accentuated considerably and, depending on your room, your stereo imagining will be off. If they are in the corners, they need to be soffit mounted and flush. Not normally done with nearfield monitors. Check out Bob Katz's chapter on monitoring in Mastering Audio. there are loads of resources in the net as well. Your corners are where you need bass trapping, I would think.

I have BM6a's and they are fantastic monitors for the price. I certainly don't feel like they hold me back, and I would have been fine with 5a's too.

W
Have you even used the bm5a extensively? Ive used both those and the 6a and honestly the bass difference between the 2 were negligable. The 6a's were slightly tighter in the low bass, but nothing that made me go "wow". Thats why I opted for the cheaper bm5a.

I've used the bm5a as my mains for 2 years. I know what the tech spec says, but my ears tell me I can hear a 30Hz sinewaves and rolloff, etc. It's not gonna be as loud as an 8 inch cone, but you can hear it! thumbsup

I think dynaudio was just being conservative on their specs to avoid overly critical engineers.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The BM6A is out of my budgetrange and i think the Dynaudio BM5A's have a better size in my situation. Otherwise i would go for the BM6A's off course.

And remember, the BM5A have the same drivers as the BM6A (they've been disassembled and compared) - the difference, important though it is, still is only in the cabinet and amp design.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agreed ➑️
The BM5a are good, revealing monitors with great treble detail and accurate bass. However, I don't like the design of their port (though for a circular port it is well done, double flared to avoid undue port noise) and I couldn't help but feel that they get bogged down when the lower midrange and midbass are busy. Compared to the KRK VXT 6 in the same price range, they could get muddy when the material became demanding. I would say that both the BM5a and the VXT 6 had great imaging and soundstaged perfectly when set up well. The sonic differences came down to a matter of preference, and I can't say I didn't agonize a bit over the choice. They were both enticing options with strengths and weaknesses compared to the other, but in the end after a few hours of listening to very familiar material and extensive A/Bing I took the VXT 6 home. I think that in the price range they are both very effective monitors and would allow you to make accurate and translatable mixes once you get to know them. But I work with material that involves a lot of saturation in the midrange, lower midrange, and midbass, so the superior detail in that region and the seeming inability to go to mud made the VXT 6 a superior choice for me. If your needs include absolute treble detail, the BM5a might edge out the competition (though I'd also urge you in that case to look into the Adam A7). The BM5a are a very, very inoffensive monitor, and don't have significant deficiencies in any area, which makes them a great entry into the world of "real" monitors (real here being understood as an investment instead of a stop-gap). A bit of trivia for you, the BM5a use the same drivers as the more expensive and well-regarded BM6a, but the amplifier is half as powerful and the enclosure is more basic in its design.

If the comparison interest you, make sure you check out the 90W biamplified VXT 6 - they are the second generation of the product and offer significant improvements over the first, which can be identified by its 120W biamp.

Edit: I mix with a sub, crossover at 80hz, for informational purposes. But the test of the monitors was done with just them doing what they do, no crossover, no high-pass.
Can you please show me the the 120watt VXT6.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
you probably can hear 30Hz -

The 50Hz spec is just where its 3dB down.

So at 30Hz is probably just 4 or 5dB down from a flat response depending on how steep the roll off is.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
And remember, the BM5A have the same drivers as the BM6A (they've been disassembled and compared) - the difference, important though it is, still is only in the cabinet and amp design.
an importance which cannot be underestimated - especially the cabinet design.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
120W VXT 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➑️
an importance which cannot be underestimated - especially the cabinet design.
I hope that I didn't give an impression that I thought it didn't matter I learned the importance of cabinet design in my freshman year of college. An audiophile DIY'er across the hall built amazing folded horn designs with fairly ordinary 3" drivers. For reference he also kept an "ordinary" sealed design to let you hear the driver without all the fancy cabinetry. If I didn't know it I wouldn't have believed they were the same drivers.

To be fair, though, the difference between the BM5A's cabinet and the BM6A's cabinet is way, way less than that, but cabinet changes are just as important to the final frequency response of the system as driver changes.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by saggsy ➑️
you probably can hear 30Hz -

The 50Hz spec is just where its 3dB down.

So at 30Hz is probably just 4 or 5dB down from a flat response depending on how steep the roll off is.
For a ported design of the size of the BM5a's I would say the roll off is steeper than you suggest.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
120W VXT 6

I hope that I didn't give an impression that I thought it didn't matter I learned the importance of cabinet design in my freshman year of college. An audiophile DIY'er across the hall built amazing folded horn designs with fairly ordinary 3" drivers. For reference he also kept an "ordinary" sealed design to let you hear the driver without all the fancy cabinetry. If I didn't know it I wouldn't have believed they were the same drivers.

To be fair, though, the difference between the BM5A's cabinet and the BM6A's cabinet is way, way less than that, but cabinet changes are just as important to the final frequency response of the system as driver changes.
no no - just underlining what you said.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
You can definitely make great recordings on the Dyn's. I personally do not like them as they tend to make everything sound way too smooth. Even crappy sounds, sound better through them, which is not what you really want your monitors telling you. Crappy should sound crappy through your monitors. How else would know if it was crap.
I am not sure that there is much better out there on your budget though.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisle 6 ➑️
You can definitely make great recordings on the Dyn's. I personally do not like them as they tend to make everything sound way too smooth. Even crappy sounds, sound better through them, which is not what you really want your monitors telling you. Crappy should sound crappy through your monitors. How else would know if it was crap.
I am not sure that there is much better out there on your budget though.
Mackie 624's. Not sure about the mkII's. I use 824's and BM6a's. I find the Mackies more revealing.
Old 27th February 2012
Gear Nut

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
How are the BM5As compared to the new Mrk 2s?
Old 27th February 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerjabs ➑️
How are the BM5As compared to the new Mrk 2s?
Not sure if its because my ears are tuned to the original BM5A'a, but I was not impressed by the by the MK ll's in comparison. I didn't hear the same clear definition.
πŸ“ Reply