Quantcast
Clean Power = no hum, but what about hiss/white noise? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Clean Power = no hum, but what about hiss/white noise?
Old 27th January 2009
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Clean Power = no hum, but what about hiss/white noise?

I understand there are products that can eliminate 50/60Hz Hum like EB-Tech Hum-X and Monster Power Pro products, but what about the higher end hiss/white noise?

The Monster Power Pro 3500 eliminates Hum and the company defines it as Stage 3 filtering

PRO 3500 Rack Mountable PowerCenter™ with Clean Power™ Stage 3

but Monster Power Pro 7000 has what they call Stage 5 filtering:

PRO 7000 Rack Mountable PowerSource™ with Clean Power™ Stage 5

I know these kinds of product effectively emilinate lower end Hum, but do you think this would this help eliminate white noise / hiss in the chain at all (even a little bit?) I know there is an expected amount of hiss generated by every piece of hardware you put in the chain, but I wonder how much of that white noise originates and is passed along starting with the wall outlet?
Old 27th January 2009
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Those 'stages' are probably marketing stages more than anything else. You shouldn't be having any hiss or hum, and you don't need anything like those to prevent it. I'm in an apartment building and it's pretty old, so nothing like modern up to spec wiring and I don't have any problem, using nothing but a fairly inexpensive UPS and some power strips.

You probalby need to explain in more detail what equipment you are having and under what circumstances you are experiencing the problem, and to what degree.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
It's extremly unlikely any hiss you're hearing comes from the mains supply. It's more likely to be coming from some part of your signal chain.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Hum comes from improper grounding schemes in almost all situations.

Hiss is a natural by-product of amplification.
High quality, low noise circuits/components and proper gain staging effect hiss.

Line conditioners are generally snake oil.

Unless a specific piece of gear is quite poorly designed, the power supply provides all of the necessary filtering to get rid of most hum and AC line noise.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
You can't get rid of the white noise. It comes from the components themselves. A molecular noise consisting of many different sources, thermal, shot, flicker etc.

B.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Hi Barish - glad to see you are still alive!

Yep, what everybody says. Don't bother with magic boxes, just make sure your cabling is clean and you have a good ground-earth. Those power conditioners can often just make things worse, as they increase leakage to ground and increase power impedance and can effect some PSUs.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…