Quantcast
Sleeper consoles? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sleeper consoles?
Old 27th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Sleeper consoles?

Curious what experience you have with GREAT consoles that don't go for giant prices. Personally looking for a versatile desk with good pres, decent eqs, and at least 16 channels, but I figured this thread could be informative for anyone.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I like Neoteks a lot -- I used an Elan every day for several years in the mid '90s and loved it. I also used MCIs on a daily basis in the '80s doing both music and post. For post they were fine; for music not so much.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
there have been many nights where I had to crash at the studio

a sleeper console is a great idea.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➑️
there have been many nights where I had to crash at the studio. a sleeper console is a great idea.
LOL
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

Have you tried the Onyx line from Mackie?

-tINY

Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY ➑️

Have you tried the Onyx line from Mackie?

-tINY

Just curious ....

Last I knew this was just a live board really, unless you modified the EQ section to go to tape (HA!)

Surprisingly good pres for the money. The EQ thing was a surprise though. tutt
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes, please post here about sleeper consoles. Then every here mentioned piece of crap will raise in price at ebay at least for about 100%

what about studiomaster? or aries??? or maybe these old beaten to death soundtracs with crosstalc at -30dB???
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
^

Is this place that influential?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Soundcraft 6000
DDA DMR series
D&R Orion
Studer 902
and smaller Calrecs

...actually i think that the best choise for today's "DAW based" studio would be a split, non-automated design like these....better specs, no useless (anymore) features like noisy VCA automation and more straight forward lay out plus nice preamps and great line amps, nice routing options, TT patchbays, good summing amps and usefull (and sometimes fantastic, like the Studer and Calrec) EQ
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes
Keep your mouth shut if you find something that works for you....
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I recently purchased a used Soundcraft Spirit 328 digital mixer.. Very nice preamps, clean quiet and 16 channels of ADAT or TDIF I/O. Motorized faders, dual Lexicon effects..

Under $1,000.

I would consider it a "sleeper" console.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn ➑️
I like Neoteks a lot --
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dero ➑️
^

Is this place that influential?
I have to say that more and more frequently my google searches for particular gear end up returning gearslutz posts.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenmann ➑️
Yes, please post here about sleeper consoles. Then every here mentioned piece of crap will raise in price at ebay at least for about 100%

what about studiomaster? or aries??? or maybe these old beaten to death soundtracs with crosstalc at -30dB???
What'll be nice is the price of those POS desks will skyrocket and the price of SSL 4Ks will continue to drop. So I for one am all for it.

Not saying that a 4K is my dream desk by any strecth, but they're gettting to point where I'm almost considering it.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GZsound ➑️
I recently purchased a used Soundcraft Spirit 328 digital mixer.. Very nice preamps, clean quiet and 16 channels of ADAT or TDIF I/O. Motorized faders, dual Lexicon effects..

Under $1,000.

I would consider it a "sleeper" console.
I was trying to convince people that this was the killer desk for a daw setup, it is far and away the best bit of kit for this purpose, and you could turn it 'high end' with a mod on the pres and converters if you wanted to.

Nothing touches this desk for versatility in the daw world, it's awesome.

I got mine for 625 bucks mwu ha ha!!

I'm gonna get another one to cascade when I've got some more money, along with a second hdsp9652 (got the first one for $160), and a second ADA8000, that's a whopping 48 inputs at mixdown PLUS 10 stereo returns for fx and still leaves 16 analogue channels free, 4 stereo dbx processors and 4 stereo lexicon procs.
I can't stop raving about it, it's just such a steal.

The only thing that's bugging me is I need to get the V2 software upgrade loaded into it, I'm missing some vital features (like true stereo group bussing for one, and the upgraded midi control support )

Really nice analogue modelled eq too, direct outs, option for digital or analogue sends for the 6 (individually switchable pre or post fade) auxes - what's not to like?

Right, that should have earned us a few dollars on them heh
Old 13th September 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatheredSerpent ➑️
I was trying to convince people that this was the killer desk for a daw setup, it is far and away the best bit of kit for this purpose, and you could turn it 'high end' with a mod on the pres and converters if you wanted to.

Nothing touches this desk for versatility in the daw world, it's awesome.

I got mine for 625 bucks mwu ha ha!!

I'm gonna get another one to cascade when I've got some more money, along with a second hdsp9652 (got the first one for $160), and a second ADA8000, that's a whopping 48 inputs at mixdown PLUS 10 stereo returns for fx and still leaves 16 analogue channels free, 4 stereo dbx processors and 4 stereo lexicon procs.
I can't stop raving about it, it's just such a steal.

The only thing that's bugging me is I need to get the V2 software upgrade loaded into it, I'm missing some vital features (like true stereo group bussing for one, and the upgraded midi control support )

Really nice analogue modelled eq too, direct outs, option for digital or analogue sends for the 6 (individually switchable pre or post fade) auxes - what's not to like?

Right, that should have earned us a few dollars on them heh
Out of curiosity, how would one go about modding the converters??? I love this desk, use it with an M-Audio Profire Lightbridge, an 8 core Mac, and the performance is simply perfect.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
My soundcraft 3b makes me so happy....i would call it a sleeper.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
D&R
Certain older soundcraft desks
Allen & heath
DDA
Neotek
Studer
Harisson

there's more i am sure....
jhg
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➑️
there have been many nights where I had to crash at the studio

a sleeper console is a great idea.
With some moving blankets and some books placed on the arm rest to hold them up, almost any large format console can be a sleeper! (sleeping under it that is)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I always heard that the Allen & Heath GS3000 was a killer pro board and a great deal these days used. I always wanted this board after reading so much about it. Couldn't ever find one though...??
one day.

Steelyfan
Old 14th September 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenmann ➑️

heh, I was going to promote my Soundcraft Series 1600 to unload it a few weeks from now at a hyped price
Although I think I'm going to keep it, I was looking for something decent but mainly easy in maintenance, and this certainly is it (compared to the DDA DCM 232 I had before)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm surprized Steelyfan hasn't jumped on this one yet but I'm gonna chip in then.

Analog Ramsa. They're dirt cheap right now but they sound incredible. A true sleeper.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan ➑️
I always heard that the Allen & Heath GS3000 was a killer pro board and a great deal these days used. I always wanted this board after reading so much about it. Couldn't ever find one though...??
one day.

Steelyfan
The Allen & Heath GS3000 is a very nice console. Not to be associated with it's live sound bretheren. Very clean, musical EQ and super flexible. Not what you want if iron colour is called for, but very nice in it's own right.

For a cracker colour piece that has mojo and one of the sweetest EQ's I have ever heard, pick up an old Auditronics 501 console.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikodemos ➑️
and smaller Calrecs

I have a VT Edit Mixer, it's similar to the original Minimixer, as far as the frame goes. But the components and look are exactly like the old Q/M series large-format desks. It's like one bucket out of a huge Calrec. It pops right into a desk with these sweet machined aluminum handles/ears on the sides.

It has 10 stereo line-input channels (no mic pres) with 3 band eq, plus stereo width controls. Low-shelving, 1 aux bus, mono input enable w/pan control, plus phase flip, PFL and AFL also. It uses the same outboard power supply as Calrec's large-format desks. Talkback w/mic. Lundahls on every output. And a lovely little fully-relay controlled master section.

It is definitely built for broadcast with deeply set pots and seriously rugged switches. It's only 17" wide and 14" front-to-back but its sits about 10 inches tall when its not desk-mounted into an installation. When desk-mounted, it sits flush with the desktop surface at the front and tilts upward to about 4" tall off the desk at the top/back.

All of the connections except for mains power are on 56-pin EDAC. There are 3 of them. It also has some sort of VCA automation, but i've never been able to figure out exactly what form. There are two d-sub connectors for that business that i've never used. The "VCA" button on the channel strip appears to currently be doing nothing. Being a "VT Edit Mixer", im guessing some external automation system incorporated into video editing equipment would control the fader levels or something. There's no write/update business on the channels.

I then found a sweet Canford Audio standalone PPM meter box that functions beautifully as a meter bridge. The console has a dedicated PPM meter feed (switchable from main, aux, LS Sel, etc) on one of the EDACs, so no need to loop through the Canford box. The box itself is ash wood with two giant Sifam meters (yellow LED-lit nonetheless), Type 74A and 74B.

I'm not trying to go on and on about this, im just trying to spread the knowledge about these little VT Edit Mixers. They make FANTABULOUS summing boxes with today's DAW systems. The story i got from Calrec on them is that originally it was a one-off build for a specific customer. It was quite popular and several other customers ordered it. They made limited amounts of them, the number is not known, but the guy i talked to assured me it was quite a bit less than 100. The serial number of mine is #11. Only one input module is available for the frame, which is quite unusual for Calrec. The number is QR2767.

You can see photos of mine at the bottom of Pg. 21 on the "Show me your studio 2009" thread. I'm just testing my setup right now. It will eventually become the heart of my new stay-at-home mixing suite. heh

I found it on ebay. great condition, shipped to me from England. One prior owner, broadcast house. The wear on channel 4 is cosmetic only, not even one scratchy pot on the thing!

If you see one of these for sale, snatch it up! thumbsupthumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Another vote for the AH GS3k owned one , sold it , regretted it ever since simply because they are impossible to score 2nd hand again.

Also the crown mixers are decent again quite hard to find but they do turn up from time to time.

Gareth
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshSkweez ➑️
I'm surprized Steelyfan hasn't jumped on this one yet but I'm gonna chip in then.

Analog Ramsa. They're dirt cheap right now but they sound incredible. A true sleeper.
heh very zzzzzzzzzzzz.z...zzzzzzzzzzzz..zzzzzzzz

It's amazing how good they sound for the price. Then again, the WRS-4424 was around like $9000.00 in the mid 80's I think. There are @ 6 of these on EBAY for $600- $1200 right now. I even want another one.

Beefy, warm, and musical is all I'm saying. Think outside the box, all of em'.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfx ➑️
Another vote for the AH GS3k owned one , sold it , regretted it ever since simply because they are impossible to score 2nd hand again.

Also the crown mixers are decent again quite hard to find but they do turn up from time to time.

Gareth
I looked for one for @ 2 years. I was always intrigued by those two channels of built in tube DI. Folks claimed the eq. was killer, the routing was top notch and the pre's had a sound......one of those "start stacking tracks and hear the record develop" type of boards.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Soundcraft 600, 6000 & 8000
DDA
Studer

Check out this site and take any board that hasn't got a famous name but still looks like it gets a lot of work.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Trident 65/75 or Trimix....

the smaller footprint sizes (16-24 ch) can be had in the $2-5k range and while they certainly don't touch the A-Range or B-Range consoles, they do sound great and definitely have a vibe. Plus, they're pretty easy to upgrade and depending on the upgrade can REALLY sound sweet.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If im honest the valve aspect was a bit pointless , sure it added 'something' but its hardly a TG console...

The routing was flexiblish the only real down side to the console was the tape return path had no gain available to trim the inputs.

But if you had it set up correctly it was never really an issue only really a problem if you were using them for extra line ins and not tape returns.

Other than that as I said , loved it.

Gareth
πŸ“ Reply