Quantcast
Sleeper consoles? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sleeper consoles?
Old 22nd September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Wheatstone tv-600. Pretty killer sounding desk. Usable eq and a clean punchy sound,..works awesome for summing out of p.t. Slowly punching the parts I need too a couple of ADC punchdown patch bay.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat ➑️
They had SteelyDan multis stemmed out on the board
kool !

which song was it ?
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat ➑️
+1

Had the chance to play with one this past summer at the InfoComm convention. They had SteelyDan multis stemmed out on the board. Let me tell you, I did a ruff mix in like 30 minutes that was shockingly "deep". The EQ is very powerful. The smallest moves make drastic audible changes. Never heard a plugin do to a kick drum what the low bands on this thing did. Just a crazy sweet desk, IMO

Anything APB makes sounds incredible. I have two of their Pro-Rack House mixers. I will be getting one of their Pro Desk series mixers at some point in the very near future.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta ➑️
Neotek, Audient. They don't get a lot of pub but you can make a record on them.
The guy behind Audient was one of the founders/partners of DDA.

Sent from my GT-I9300T
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anybody used an Oram BEQ console?
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Love my tv 600
Old 27th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Another shout out for TV600. One of the best things that's ever happened to me.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Another member of the TV-600 club here.
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrakarl ➑️
The guy behind Audient was one of the founders/partners of DDA.

Sent from my GT-I9300T
Try Guys and before DDA they were part of the team at Soundcraft.
Old 27th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Soundcraft Delta dlx plus big power supply plus Jim Williams
Old 26th December 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I came across this thread because I was looking into modding my GS3000.The GS3000 is a fantastic desk,with great sounding E.Q and Pre's alongside being very flexible and well featured.

Having used all manner of desk's in various studios around London such as SSL,Neve,Amek,TAC,Studer and Oram I can honestly say that for a small footprint desk the GS3000 stands up to these pretty damn well.Having never really been a great fan of SSL Pre's I can honestly say that 9 out of 10 times I would prefer the GS3000 pre over a J series SSL.I would compare the Pre sound to sit pleasently somewhere in between an SSL and a Neve,not as full and round as a Neve but not as 'hard' as an SSL either.

To chime in with regards to the ORAM BEQ.Yes I've used one and actually think it's a pretty cool sounding desk,although definetly operationally quirky,the closest sound I could liken it to would be that of an Amek.Pretty 'Solid' sounding.It's a good desk to mix/sum through as it gives a nice colour to things without becoming cloudy or losing definition.The E.Q also sounds good and very smooth.

Downsides are that the pots themselves are really really stiff and a bit of a nightmare when you want to sweep the E.Q around or quickly want to flash something via an Aux.
There were also quite a few quirks with the desk that I can't recall to well now but I certainly remember being baffled with the fact that the insert point was post send which was quite irritating on a few occasions,especially when you were gating a snare via insert for example and sending it to a reverb only to hear the ungated snare being fed into the reverb!I actually took this up with John Oram himself (the guy who designed the desk) who is known to be rather 'Esoteric' and he couldn't seem to understand why I would want the Insert to be Pre-Send,which was very weird to me to say the least!
Old 9th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Targa2 yes I owned one ( Oram )and it was a total dog, cheap construction cheap components cheap service and support generally cheap apart from the price ! We had to get Purple Audio in the USA to help us fix it. Shame cuz it sounded ok. But those behind it were far from helpful . Avoid like the plague !!
Old 10th September 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79_Limited ➑️
I like my Peavey AMR 1600. It is a large console so you need space for it. I paid about 2.5k several years ago and could not be happier. The great thing is it has been reliable and everything works!
I think these are a great sleeper console too, had mine for a while & apart from usual servicing it's rock solid, sounds pretty darn good & is very flexible. I'd have this thing over an ATB any day of the week, 20+ years in service & she's still rocking along happily.
Old 20th December 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hey Guys, I've adopted the record on a Neve and mix on an SSL philosophy, at least the poor mans version. My Ramsa WR-S4424 is my Neve, whose underated Pre's provide a lowend that none of the other boards that I've used have provided (digimax LT, mackie 1604, Tube MP, Allen and Heath gl2400, Allen and Heath Mixwizard). This board has a lot of weight on the low end that provides a solid foundation, while the mids are warm and wide.

I mix on a Soundcraft Delta DLX with a Jim Williams upgraded master section. This is my SSL, clean, and transparent.

I paid $500 for the Ramsa and $400 for a 16 ch delta, the Jim Williams upgrade was $275 plus shipping. So for just over $1000, I think I've found two pretty awesome Sleeper consoles.

Heres an example, didn't include the vox as there was too much bleed. This was just us jamming the tune during a rehearsal, so its not perfect, but it lets you hear what the boards can do in a modest studio environment.
https://soundcloud.com/jeff-boich/zi...ng-dec-14-2015

Last edited by boichJ; 20th December 2015 at 08:14 PM..
Old 2nd February 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Wheatstone TV-600

I have a Wheatstone tv-600 I need to sell. Came out of the university of South Carolina.
πŸ“ Reply