Quantcast
reverb on radiohead's "exit music (for a film)" - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
reverb on radiohead's "exit music (for a film)"
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
reverb on radiohead's "exit music (for a film)"

can anybody tell me the type of verb (not brand name) on yorke's voice on this tune?

also possible settings.

thanks in advance for any insight.

damn this band is good.

oto
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i think nigel swears by his AKG bx series spring reverbs. either bx-10, 15, or 20.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Deleted ff086b4
On that particular track his vocal had all natural reverb, it was tracked in a long stone hallway in an old mansion that was owned by the actress Jane Seymour. Two mics, one on Thom, the other used as an ambient mic to get the natural reverb of the hallway.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
james, that's some amazingly detailed information. were you there to witness some of the recordings of OK Computer? if so, care to share some more stories?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That is one of my absolute favorite vocal recordings...
both the song AND the recording.

I have a Wunder CM7 and an SCA N72 and along with
my Bricasti M7 I can come very close to getting that sound.

It's the proximity effect of the CM7 coupled with getting
as much saturation from the N72 transformer as possible
(the proximity effect of the CM7 is also due to transformer saturation).

Oh yeah, and the Bricasti... the sexiest damn piece of kit I own!

If you'd like I could post a clip...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
"Exit Music (For a Film)" is a song by Radiohead, written specifically for the ending credits of the 1996 film William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet. Although not included on either of the two soundtrack albums at the request of Thom Yorke, the song appears on the band's highly acclaimed third album, OK Computer (1997). It was heavily influenced by Frédéric Chopin's Prelude in E Minor, "Suffocation."

The moment in the film when Claire Danes (as Juliet) holds a gun to her head was the actual inspiration for "Exit Music". Thom Yorke also had the 1968 adaptation of the play (Romeo and Juliet) in his head: "I saw the Zeffirelli version when I was 13 and I cried my eyes out, because I couldn't understand why, the morning after they shagged, they didn't just run away. The song is written for two people who should run away before all the bad stuff starts. A personal song." The director of the movie, Baz Luhrmann, revealed in the DVD commentary that he believes it is one of the greatest film exit songs ever written.

The song is mostly very sombre and quiet, but builds to a climax at the end as the heavily compressed drums enter. In live performances, Jonny Greenwood slides a coin up and down the strings of his guitar, using a Roland Space Echo to create the eerie sounds heard throughout the song. In the studio version, the ambient sound is actually a recording of children playing played backwards. The distinctive fuzzy bass guitar featured in the climax is courtesy of the Shin-ei Companion FY-2 fuzz pedal.

The song is featured in the final episode of Father Ted, "Going to America", when Father Kevin is depressed by it on the bus, having previously been cured of his depression by listening to "Theme from Shaft" by Isaac Hayes.

Jazz pianist Brad Mehldau covered the song on volumes III and IV of his Art of the Trio series. His recording was featured in the movie Unfaithful in 2002. Other cover versions have been made by Miranda Sex Garden in 2001, Scala & Kolacny Brothers, Vampire Weekend, Easy Star All-Stars, and Christopher O'Riley in 2003. The song is also featured on The String Quartet Tribute Strung Out on OK Computer. There are several remixes of the song, available online.

American musician Marilyn Manson told Rolling Stone Magazine that he "escaped from a treatment facility and listened to [Exit Music (For a Film)] as [he] was standing on the edge of a cliff, thinking about jumping." In the end, he walked away from the incident, the song having supposedly changed his mind.

The last book of the Rebus-serries by Ian Rankin is named Exit Music after this song.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrue ➡️
That is one of my absolute favorite vocal recordings...
both the song AND the recording.

I have a Wunder CM7 and an SCA N72 and along with
my Bricasti M7 I can come very close to getting that sound.

It's the proximity effect of the CM7 coupled with getting
as much saturation from the N72 transformer as possible
(the proximity effect of the CM7 is also due to transformer saturation).

Oh yeah, and the Bricasti... the sexiest damn piece of kit I own!

If you'd like I could post a clip...
Definitely, post away!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
great info, thanks guys!

yes indeed, would love to hear redrue.

cheers.

oto
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Man, threads move along way too quick these days. It's like fast lane, information overload!

So here's a to this one.
Old 13th July 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Here is me trying to somewhat simulate the reverb with Space Designer in Logic. The tail is a bit longer.

YouTube - "Exit Music (For a Film)" - Radiohead Cover - Grant Walker of speakercoil

If you want the Wav file I can upload that to my server if you want.

-grant
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakercoil ➡️
Here is me trying to somewhat simulate the reverb with Space Designer in Logic. The tail is a bit longer.

YouTube - "Exit Music (For a Film)" - Radiohead Cover - Grant Walker of speakercoil

If you want the Wav file I can upload that to my server if you want.

-grant

cool! good cover and i think the verb sounds good.
Lives for gear

Oh what kinda mics are you using? I can't really see them that well in the video. Thanks!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFFG ➡️
Oh what kinda mics are you using? I can't really see them that well in the video. Thanks!
Cheap ass mics.... lol....

a PPA LD3 and a KCM something or other long ribbon mic. They are both stock and unmodded.

There is a boost at 12k on the ribbon. They both have the standard dynamic limiter from Logic on them. That's about it for processing.

-Grant
📝 Reply