Quantcast
Are the 2 channel Recto heads better then the new 3 channel ones? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Are the 2 channel Recto heads better then the new 3 channel ones?
Old 27th January 2009

🎧 15 years
Are the 2 channel Recto heads better then the new 3 channel ones?

The question of the century.......

Which do you like, 2 channel or 3?
Dual Rec or triple?
What era?
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I very much prefer the older 2 channel heads. Duals. I had a old 2ch dual, got bored with it, sold it for a new 3 ch dual and never got something I liked out of it. Ended up selling it and buying an old 2ch dual again.

interesting read:
2-Channel Dual Rectifier 1202/270; 1201/137
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent

dual black face..

or silver face before 1997.

they chagned their production in 1997.. it sounded worse afterwards.. my tech was mesa-reapair center.. and he quit it, after they started to build in cheaper parts.. to safe costs..

cheers

herer we go
Attached Thumbnails
Are the 2 channel Recto heads better then the new 3 channel ones?-blackface.jpg  
mds
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Agree, old duals are better. Less fizzy and more balls...I'm also a big fan of the DC-5 and DC-10 amps. Great high gain tones. They have that Mesa Graphic EQ that really helps shape the carnage...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I have only used the 3 ch Dual loaded with 6L6's. Has anyone tried it with EL34's? What was the result.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I prefered the 2 channel models. The best i ever played was a 19" version.
Can´t explain why i loved it - i don´t even know for sure if the "Racktifiers"
have a different circuit... well, i think so....
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Def 2 ch. After struggling with the newer rectos for years (finally settled on the Single because I thought it sounded better - more raw, urgent, less fizz - "pushed" mode is FANTASTIC), I finally got a 2ch... no more struggles at all - dials in easier, and it's all balls, no fizz... REMARKABLY different and better IMO... My 2ch is one of the later rev ones FWIW... Until I heard it, I didn't believe the 2ch's and 3ch's could be SOOO different...

Brent Bodrug
Producer-engineer/Songwriter

The B-Group Music
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgroup ➡️
Def 2 ch. After struggling with the newer rectos for years (finally settled on the Single because I thought it sounded better - more raw, urgent, less fizz - "pushed" mode is FANTASTIC), I finally got a 2ch... no more struggles at all - dials in easier, and it's all balls, no fizz... REMARKABLY different and better IMO... My 2ch is one of the later rev ones FWIW... Until I heard it, I didn't believe the 2ch's and 3ch's could be SOOO different...

Brent Bodrug
Producer-engineer/Songwriter

The B-Group Music
Spent the day playing a new Dual (3 channel), new Triple (3 channel) side by side with an old school black face Dual (2 channel, the rarer rack version). To me absolutely to comparision, old one was perfect. Bought it, done! The new ones were gacky sounding, it's like the new ones had a hair more top and bottom but the top was offensive sounding. The old one was crunchy and evil sounding.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old ones. I have a Series 1 Single Rec that is killer, made with better parts.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar_josh ➡️
Old ones. I have a Series 1 Single Rec that is killer, made with better parts.
My buddy that fixes Boogies for Boogie swears that the parts have never changed and that it's just internet bla bla bla but man the old one sounded much better to me, he was arguing that they sounded almost the same today while I was playing but to me they were lightyears apart as far as tone went but who knows.... I will say today is the first time we had any real luck recording a Recto.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My amp tech told me about them switching to smaller transformers to save money... but being an amp tech doesn't necessarily make him an expert on Mesa Boogie. What I do have is my experience, which tells me that my Series 1 Recto sounds better than a Series 2. A few of my clients play Single Recs and they swear that mine sounds better than theirs, so I have their experience as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the 3 ch and the 2 ch are, without a doubt, completely different sounding. I've used and recorded several different 3 ch and they simply sound more harsh and don't have the meatiness to them that the old 2 ch did. The whole 'channel 2 on the 3 ch is the same as the old recto' is BS if you ask me.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo ➡️
Spent the day playing a new Dual (3 channel), new Triple (3 channel) side by side with an old school black face Dual (2 channel, the rarer rack version). To me absolutely to comparision, old one was perfect. Bought it, done! The new ones were gacky sounding, it's like the new ones had a hair more top and bottom but the top was offensive sounding. The old one was crunchy and evil sounding.
Did they all have the same power tubes? 6L6 or EL 34
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
We got a black faced 2 channel Recto, with the "permant" power supply cable, it´s build like military standard, but i didn´t compare it face to face against the newer ones,
but for the modern Recto Sounds we like Tripple X by Peavey much more,
did you try the Triple X?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I bought a 2 channel in 2003 right before they switched the design to the 3 channel. In 2004 I bought the 3 channel version and then sold the 2 channel. But for a few weeks I had both and was able to compare. My opinion was that channel # 2 of the 3 channel head sounded the same as the hi gain channel in the 2 channel head. The 3rd channel in the newer head had more gain and you needed to keep the presence a little lower otherwise you got that fizzy sound that everyone else is describing. The clean channels in both heads sounded identical as well. But I sold the old 2 channel because I liked the option of having 3 channels to work with. Of course some of the other posts talk about a series 1 and series 2. Both of my heads were probably from the same series (2) and that could be why they sounded the same. Also, both were silver face, I don't know if that makes any difference.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
My buddy that fixes Boogies for Boogie swears that the parts have never changed and that it's just internet bla bla bla but man the old one sounded much better to me, he was arguing that they sounded almost the same today while I was playing but to me they were lightyears apart as far as tone went but who knows.... I will say today is the first time we had any real luck recording a Recto.

My theory is that when they designed the Dual Channel, they designed a single tone that would sit where Randall wanted it. Then, to make the Triple Channel, they basically split that channel into a more vintage-y rhythm channel, and a more modern high gain channel. So neither channel replicates the original drive channel of the Dual, which was badass to begin with. IMHO, this is also why people like the Tremoverb over the regular Rectos, because I think the drive channel is closer to the original design.

Does that make sense? So my theory is that they didn't just add a third channel to the Dual, they redesigned both channels, and made them BOTH compromises to the original single channel.

But who knows.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As far as theories go, it makes sense to me. The fun part is that this is the internet: if enough people read this then in about three days your theory will become unquestionable fact!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola ➡️
dual black face..

or silver face before 1997.

they chagned their production in 1997.. it sounded worse afterwards.. my tech was mesa-reapair center.. and he quit it, after they started to build in cheaper parts.. to safe costs..

cheers
Hmm, not sure, about 1997. I have a recto from 1995.

I always thought the rectos with the smaller Mesa logo's sounded better is that before 1997? I have one with the bigger logo, but bought it new in 1995...

It's pretty good on the vintage setting...
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Got a 2 channel and 3 channel dual. I pretty much only use the 3 channel for clean stuff....anything with ballz goes to the 2 channel. I found the same thing you did james, the 2 channel just sounds right.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The best sounding Dual Rectifiers I've heard were the first examples from the early 90's with the series effects loop, without the "mix" control on the back. These have a bit of a different circuit and transformers.

🎧 15 years
Just got it back after having Boogie re-tube it and give it the once over. Monstrous sounding!!!

🎧 15 years
It's Nuckin' Futs!

The sound is so brutal, it's the Boogie sound that has eluded me all these years. It has so much power and guts I can't believe it. Even when I turn up the gain knob and it really starts to distort heavy the distortion sounds great.

The 2 channel is the beast I've been looking for and this is not the first Recto I've owned.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It's Nuckin' Futs!

The sound is so brutal, it's the Boogie sound that has eluded me all these years. It has so much power and guts I can't believe it. Even when I turn up the gain knob and it really starts to distort heavy the distortion sounds great.

The 2 channel is the beast I've been looking for and this is not the first Recto I've owned.
That thing looks insane. I gotta come down and hear it.

I remember when the Triple Rectifier was released. It seemed to have no sonic characteristics of what I'd come to know of Boogies.
It didn't seem like it fit it at all. Quite the opposite of a Boogie.

Congrats on getting a "real" Boogie.

The last boogie set-up I had was back in '95 with the Triaxis/Strategy 500. Killer sound!
But that was in my über-dorky guitar player days.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathMonkey ➡️
My theory is that when they designed the Dual Channel, they designed a single tone that would sit where Randall wanted it. Then, to make the Triple Channel, they basically split that channel into a more vintage-y rhythm channel, and a more modern high gain channel. So neither channel replicates the original drive channel of the Dual, which was badass to begin with. IMHO, this is also why people like the Tremoverb over the regular Rectos, because I think the drive channel is closer to the original design.

Does that make sense? So my theory is that they didn't just add a third channel to the Dual, they redesigned both channels, and made them BOTH compromises to the original single channel.

But who knows.
Trem-o-verbs are awesome- so many great sounds, especially that "modern high gain".

try to put a Line-guitarcable (short one) into the FX send, return of the boogie. the whole signal is running trough that Send return-path and even if nothing is in there, you loose a quite bit of signal in that send return path.

if you put a cable in it and kinda shortcurcuit it, you have an increase in sound again.

cheers
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola ➡️
try to put a Line-guitarcable (short one) into the FX send, return of the boogie. the whole signal is running trough that Send return-path and even if nothing is in there, you loose a quite bit of signal in that send return path.

if you put a cable in it and kinda shortcurcuit it, you have an increase in sound again.

cheers

I have a 2 ch and I run a patch cable in the fx loop. I then keep my master volume at around 2 o'clock and use the loop level as a master volume. I get a ballsier sound out of the amp. I keep the gain at about 12 o'clock whereas if I weren't using the loop, the gain would be at about 9 o'clock to get the same distortion out if it. Theoretically this shouldn't work because the effects loop is parallel and comes before the power stage, so it's not like it's pushing the 6l6s harder. I digress tho, I swear it works.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have a 3ch version, never tried a 2ch channel version, could be nice, I don't know...
Anyway, I keep the effect loop in the bypassed mode, it seems to have more balls this way.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisle 6 ➡️
I have only used the 3 ch Dual loaded with 6L6's. Has anyone tried it with EL34's? What was the result.
I tried it with JJ E34L and the stock mesa 6L6 tubes.

For live I would probably pick the E34L because it stand up in the mix better, they have a lot more midrange to them but less lows and highs.

For recording I found that I prefer the 6L6 for their better top end, I'm not saying I'll never try the E34L again though, I still have them and I'll probably make some more test someday.

I red somewhere about a mod that transforms the 3ch into a 2ch, anybody knows what it is?
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
yup, my experience also.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…