Quantcast
Are the 2 channel Recto heads better then the new 3 channel ones? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Are the 2 channel Recto heads better then the new 3 channel ones?
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo ➡️
It's Nuckin' Futs!

The sound is so brutal, it's the Boogie sound that has eluded me all these years. It has so much power and guts I can't believe it. Even when I turn up the gain knob and it really starts to distort heavy the distortion sounds great.

The 2 channel is the beast I've been looking for and this is not the first Recto I've owned.
YUP!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgroup ➡️
YUP!!
Btw, what are the best power tubes for a dual rectifier 3ch?

I red that tung-sol and winged C (sed) 6L6 are pretty good.

I used JJ E34L, sounded thin and harsh even if it had more mids, I went back to the original mesa tubes, worked better with better top end IMO.

I'm looking for that 6l6 tone I've got with the original mesa tubes but with some more balls to them.
Any thoughts?

🎧 15 years
Late to the party, but... agreed. I like the duals better. I still say the Tremoverb Combo is my favorite Mesa ever. It can go full Mesa, but has more flexibility and a wider range of tones available. The "Blues" setting is a unique thing among Mesas, and is a favorite, even at higher gain.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Out of curiosity, I looked at the 2ch version.

I red on the boogie archive website that the G serie are somewhat different then the earlier one (still talking about 2ch versions).

Then I saw a 2ch G serie for sell (that I could pick up), I could sell my 3ch for the same price, of course the 2ch is a little bit older and it shows a little.

Would you recommend me to get rid of the 3ch and get the 2ch instead even if it's a G serie?
thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar_josh ➡️
My amp tech told me about them switching to smaller transformers to save money... but being an amp tech doesn't necessarily make him an expert on Mesa Boogie. What I do have is my experience, which tells me that my Series 1 Recto sounds better than a Series 2. A few of my clients play Single Recs and they swear that mine sounds better than theirs, so I have their experience as well.
When you say serie 1 and serie 2 are you refering to 2 channel and 3 channel versions?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Also, are the 2ch single recto as good as the 2ch dual recto?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I own a First year 2 channel Recto. I believe it is a 91' or 92...

I put it up against a newer recto and their was an obvious tone diffrence.

I will never sell that amp.. It just crushes.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman ➡️

Is it the single or dual rectifier?

🎧 15 years
Quote:

That's cool.

I'm not sure what year mine is but we had that thing cranked all day yesterday and I love it. It's what a Boogie should sound like. Someone on rig-talk said that the rack version 2 channel dual's are slightly different then the regular 2 channel heads but I don't anything was discussed as to what the exact difference was.

Funny how the obsession shifts from pres to compressors to mics to guitar amps... and so on and so on and so on...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull ➡️
Out of curiosity, I looked at the 2ch version.

I red on the boogie archive website that the G serie are somewhat different then the earlier one (still talking about 2ch versions).

Then I saw a 2ch G serie for sell (that I could pick up), I could sell my 3ch for the same price, of course the 2ch is a little bit older and it shows a little.

Would you recommend me to get rid of the 3ch and get the 2ch instead even if it's a G serie?
thanks
Hey James, didn't you have a 3ch recto before this one?

Also, if anyone can tell if the late 2ch are still better then the 3ch that'd be good to know.
thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Funny how the obsession shifts from pres to compressors to mics to guitar amps... and so on and so on and so on...
You need a Fryette (formerly VHT) Dleiverance 120 next. thumbsupheh

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull ➡️
Hey James, didn't you have a 3ch recto before this one?

Also, if anyone can tell if the late 2ch are still better then the 3ch that'd be good to know.
thanks
I had a couple of rectos in the past a 3 ch triple and a tremoverb.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That's what I thought.

I tried a 2 channel dual rectifier today, compared it next to my 3 channel.
The 2 channel had EL34 and mine has 6L6 because the JJ E34L I tried sounded too thin for me, anyway, the test wasn't that fair because of this.

The 2 channel was a "G serie", the one with the send and return on the effect loop. (those are the late 2 channel versions

I compared the 2nd channel set to modern on my 3ch to the red channel on the 2ch (everything set at 12 except for the master).

To me the 2 channel version had just a little bit more balls and was a little bit clearer, more hi-mid definition I would say but seriously it was pretty ****ing subtle!!

The orange channel on the 2ch didn't sound anything special, I gotta say I was trying it through a normal 1960A though.
The clean was pretty boring, then again maybe it was the cab's fault.

So, the modern was a little bit better on the 2ch but overall I wasn't really impressed.

I was at some guy's place so I didn't take too long to test eveything like I would've like to though.

Seriously, I really don't know if I want to sacrifice the good clean I got and the versatility of my 3ch for that 1% better modern tone...

Anybody else compared the late 2ch to the 3ch version?
I wonder if a tube replacement for something like tung-sol or Winged C could give that 1% better tone?
Anybody wanna share their opinions?
thanks
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
funny- i've had a two channel around for a while that i rarely used but recently pulled it out and have been using it quite a bit. this thread made me curious about the "revisions" of the dual- looks like I have a 1992- Rev C- serial #250 with Mike Bendinelli's initials on the inside. not that i really care about any of that, except that's the beauty of a google search.

all that aside, the amp sounds really good. way better than the triple's that have come by the studio. i'd be curious to put it against some of the revised duals and see if there truly was a difference in tone.

-s
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mds ➡️
Agree, old duals are better. Less fizzy and more balls...I'm also a big fan of the DC-5 and DC-10 amps. Great high gain tones. They have that Mesa Graphic EQ that really helps shape the carnage...
I have a DC-3 and it's one of the best amps I've ever owned. I absolutely love that thing.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Scott, no joke.. I clicked on a link to your Dragonfly website and my Symantec Antivirus told me it quaranteened a virus called "Bloodhound Exploit. 196"

You may want to have your web page scanned for virus.
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Scott, no joke.. I clicked on a link to your Dragonfly website and my Symantec Antivirus told me it quaranteened a virus called "Bloodhound Exploit. 196"

You may want to have your web page scanned for virus.
just found that as well. we've been having massive problems with our host. ah, the problem with shared hosting. thanks! -s
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgroup ➡️
Def 2 ch. After struggling with the newer rectos for years (finally settled on the Single because I thought it sounded better - more raw, urgent, less fizz - "pushed" mode is FANTASTIC), I finally got a 2ch... no more struggles at all - dials in easier, and it's all balls, no fizz... REMARKABLY different and better IMO... My 2ch is one of the later rev ones FWIW... Until I heard it, I didn't believe the 2ch's and 3ch's could be SOOO different...

Brent Bodrug
Producer-engineer/Songwriter

The B-Group Music
i did compare the late version today to my 3ch, the diffence was subtle IMO but the 2ch had EL34 in it which are suposed to have more mids and less bottom.
Both sounded very close, the clean on the 2ch wasn't awesome...maybe it was the cab though.

When you compared the 2ch to the 3ch, did they have the same tube, how did the clean compare?

I could get the 2ch and sell my 3ch for the same price, I realise the test wasn't fair because of the tubes but it wasn't a night and day difference through the 1960a cab and I'm not sure what to do.

I don't dislke my 3ch dual recto, but you know if I can get an even better tone...why not?
Just wanna know if the last 2ch version are worth the trouble to sell mine and bey the other.

I'd like some opinions.
thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Is it your first 2ch version?
If not, how does your new rack version compare to the other 2ch you had?
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Should I trade or not?

My only fear is to lose the good clean and versatility (I like the raw mode on some stuff)
Would I achive those same good clean and "raw" mode on the 2ch?

Some opinion would be GREATLY appreciated.
thanks
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
got a 3 channel dual in session right now. best recto i've heard yet.

idk, but it could be that the guy had it completely retubed with JJs. it sounds sick.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
James have u tried

I would switch out the tubes to JJel34 (order them from bob at eurotubes.com)seeing as u luv marshall. Im actually getting mine (triple) modded by FJA mods -he has a site with videos of da modded amps. Big improvement! The tubes will make all the difference. More sound options on the triple... An FJA 5150 is next on my list!

Quote:
It's Nuckin' Futs!

The sound is so brutal, it's the Boogie sound that has eluded me all these years. It has so much power and guts I can't believe it. Even when I turn up the gain knob and it really starts to distort heavy the distortion sounds great.

The 2 channel is the beast I've been looking for and this is not the first Recto I've owned.
A triple with the el34 and the rectifiers off...Thats the way i run minez
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I've owned both and A/B'd them and the differences aren't as huge as some people seem to make it out to be IMO. I think some of the differences are on account of 'better or worse' amps just in terms of general consistencey. The 3 channel was a bit more agressive and hyped in the highs but boosted with a tubescreamer it sounded crushing for Metal.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just used my 2 chan Dual Rec (older hand wired version) in a trade towards my new VHT Pittbull Ultra Lead, and although the VHT kicks some major ass, there was something about that 2 chan Dual that I'm seriously missing. Oh man it sounded so good. I'll probably track one down in the summer or bug buddy boy to sell it to me lol.

This thread makes me sad :(
Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Some guy bought the 2 channel I was looking at and he just wrote me saying that he'd like to trade it for my 3 channel.

I was about to retube my 3ch with NOS tubes and I'll probably retube the 2ch too if I trade mine for it but do you think it's worth trading?

It's a 1996 revision G with the attached power cord, it also has the send and return volume which make it a revision G.
Old 19th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Just got it back after having Boogie re-tube it and give it the once over. Monstrous sounding!!!

sorry for the quick off-topic but

James, which cab/speakers do you prefer your Herbert go through?
I'm thinking to get a new cab for my VH4, trying to figure something else apart from the Marshall route.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Just got it back after having Boogie re-tube it and give it the once over. Monstrous sounding!!!

I have the same head.

It is brutal- I hire it to plenty of bands as well as use it in my own productions.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Heart ➡️
sorry for the quick off-topic but

James, which cab/speakers do you prefer your Herbert go through?
I'm thinking to get a new cab for my VH4, trying to figure something else apart from the Marshall route.
I love the Bogner Uberkab straight, it has a combo of V30's and 75's. Great sound. The orange 4X12 is great too.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I love the Bogner Uberkab straight, it has a combo of V30's and 75's. Great sound. The orange 4X12 is great too.
ah, I've heard about the Überkab!
are the two 75's the "only" difference to the original Überschall?

I've tried it with a standard Orange PPC 30's but still prefered the Marshall cab to it.

I'd like to emphasize the very low mids that I love about the Diezel.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…