Typical Early Beatles Recordings - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Typical Early Beatles Recordings
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by malaclypse ➑️
as far as the acoustic guitar thing goes, it says in the book that john would sometimes record acoustic guitar in a colapsable isolation booth.

also it says that the abbey road techs converted all or most of their U47's into U48's, since they preferred the bi-directional pattern.

Since they didn't use headphones how did ringo hear the guitar if its in a portable booth ?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
From Page 376 of Recording the Beatles:

On A Hard Day's Night they "usually performed their vocal and instrumental parts live in the studio. One track was devoted to drums, bass, and rhythm guitar, one track to lead guitar, and one track to lead and backing vocals. By this time, the fourth track was invariably used to double-track the vocals."

The book shows a diagram of drums and amps (and George and Ringo) set up in a corner of the studio, and about 20 feet away John and Paul singing while John is playing acoustic guitar. They did it all live in the studio and primarily used distance and the null area of the figure 8 mics to prevent excessive bleed.

I also have the Complete Beatles Recording Sessions. While it is interesting and helps the reader to understand how quickly they worked in the studio, it has very few technical details. Also, these days it costs as much as Recording the Beatles despite having a tiny fraction of the info in Recording the Beatles. Meanwhile RTB has an unbelievable amount of info as well as pics and diagrams of how they set up in the studio. It is, as stated before, almost entirely about Abbey Road and the way the Beatles explored the space therein.

BTW, I suspect Ringo didn't need to hear the acoustic because there was also an electric guitar and bass going at the same time. If he did need to hear the acoustic, they would have set up a monitor for him. They didn't have headphones at Abbey Road until 1966.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mordo ➑️
From Page 376 of Recording the Beatles:

On A Hard Day's Night they "usually performed their vocal and instrumental parts live in the studio. One track was devoted to drums, bass, and rhythm guitar, one track to lead guitar, and one track to lead and backing vocals. By this time, the fourth track was invariably used to double-track the vocals."

The book shows a diagram of drums and amps (and George and Ringo) set up in a corner of the studio, and about 20 feet away John and Paul singing while John is playing acoustic guitar. They did it all live in the studio and primarily used distance and the null area of the figure 8 mics to prevent excessive bleed.

I also have the Complete Beatles Recording Sessions. While it is interesting and helps the reader to understand how quickly they worked in the studio, it has very few technical details. Also, these days it costs as much as Recording the Beatles despite having a tiny fraction of the info in Recording the Beatles. Meanwhile RTB has an unbelievable amount of info as well as pics and diagrams of how they set up in the studio. It is, as stated before, almost entirely about Abbey Road and the way the Beatles explored the space therein.
DUDE thanksheh

Distance to help with bleed , that makes sense . Those guys were smart back then .

It seems that my favorite Beatles songs were done Live
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumBum ➑️
Since they didn't use headphones how did ringo hear the guitar if its in a portable booth ?
i think they did use headphones on the later recordings, but not on the first few albums.

this is from the RTB book:

"If the band was banging away, with drums, bass and rhythm guitar, and, say, John wanted acoustic guitar, he would go into the booth and mic the guitar and not get as much spill from the band." -Brian Gibson

"for most bands, it was unusual to use the hut for any actual 'vocal' sessions. it was only used for live vocals with band playing, or for live acoustic guitar." -Alan Parsons
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
And boy did they work quickly! At first it was just like recording a band playing live on stage. That simple. That first album done (almost) all in one session. They used the first take of "Twist and Shout" but they tried a second to see if they could do better. A few months later on, they nailed "Long Tall Sally" in one take.

I'm actually more impressed that they could start and finish a song like Michelle in one day. That's a complicated song like no other, so they were treading into unknown territory, playing beyond their "raising" -- yet they did it with confidence. And they accomplished this many times, sometimes two or three complete recordings in one session. Recordings that will live as long as there is recorded music.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
There was THAT many tubes in the chain? I need more tubes.................
Damn right!! WE ALL NEED MORE TUBES!!! heh
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, there WERE many many tubes - but there was no choice at the time. Tubes won't make you sound like them.

L
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I guess the songs had tubes as well?

Gotta to get me some toooobs!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooobs!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson ➑️
Yes, there WERE many many tubes - but there was no choice at the time. Tubes won't make you sound like them.

L
Are you sure about that ? toooooooooobs might be the secret why music has no soul today , not enough tooooooooooobs .
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ok another Beatles question for you wise old gearslutz .......

Did they ever comp vocal tracks ?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ok another Beatles question for you wise old gearslutz .......

Ya gotta get the book. It is worth $100 easily!
Recording The Beatles
Cause I have to look it up to answer...
L
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Because of limited tracks, they would punch-in.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
They never had enough tracks for that. Or else they probably would have!

They would do the occasional punch-in, but most of the time they just sang it great all the way through as many times as it took. (Which wasn't many times! Because Lennon got dreadfully bored after a few takes.) If you listen very closely to the singing there are some flat notes here and there, and some sloppy doubles. But that didn't matter back then.

I listened to Eleanor Rigby for thirty years before I realized McCartney was pretty flat on one of the "by"s in Eleanor Rigby. Now I can't listen to it without hearing it. But it doesn't prevent me from enjoying the recording. So the lesson learned is, little stuff like that doesn't matter a speck -- what matters is how good the song is and how passionate the performance is.

But those guys were human just like us. If the Beatles had unlimited tracks like folks today, and if they had all the gear choices we do, THEY'D PROBABLY STILL BE WORKING ON SGT. PEPPER!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeper ➑️
They never had enough tracks for that. Or else they probably would have!

They would do the occasional punch-in, but most of the time they just sang it great all the way through as many times as it took. (Which wasn't many times! Because Lennon got dreadfully bored after a few takes.) If you listen very closely to the singing there are some flat notes here and there, and some sloppy doubles. But that didn't matter back then.

I listened to Eleanor Rigby for thirty years before I realized McCartney was pretty flat on one of the "by"s in Eleanor Rigby. Now I can't listen to it without hearing it. But it doesn't prevent me from enjoying the recording. So the lesson learned is, little stuff like that doesn't matter a speck -- what matters is how good the song is and how passionate the performance is.

But those guys were human just like us. If the Beatles had unlimited tracks like folks today, and if they had all the gear choices we do, THEY'D PROBABLY STILL BE WORKING ON SGT. PEPPER!

Thats what I thought they did , sing all the way through and get a great take . At times the vocals are a bit sloppy but the performance is great and I can listen to it over and over and it has life to it .

I've fallen into the trap many times of trying to get a PERFECT vocal track , with many punch ins or takes and yes it turns out to be PERFECT after alot of work but lifeless and boring .

I'm gonna focus more on getting a great performance , hopefully one take , that has feeling rather then bust out the magnifying glass and analyze every bit of it .
πŸ“ Reply