Quantcast
chaining a 2nd pc for plugins - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
chaining a 2nd pc for plugins
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
chaining a 2nd pc for plugins

Someone told meyou can use a 2nd PC for all your plugins. This sounds awesome but how do they connect to each other?Do I need a second interface?
Old 27th January 2009

🎧 15 years
yes - you'd need a second everything, although you could get away with a standalone VST host instead of a second copy of your sequencer program.

You'd essentially use the 2nd PC as a hardware multi-FX - for example, if you had an 8 channel interface (either analogue or digital) you could use it as 4 stereo in/stereo out processors, or 8 mono in/stereo out if you didn't mind the returns being mixed on the way out.

Personally though, if I was going to spend that much on a 2nd decent interface, I'd just upgrade the main computer.

Oh, and it's not really for ALL your plugins - really just delays and reverbs and other send effects - the sort of thing where a few ms extra latency isn't so important. Wouldn't really work with insert processing unless you're prepared to compensate manually for latency - which is definitely more hassle than it's worth.

Someone who knows more about it than me can inform you if there's any PC sequencers that can do node processing like Logic can.
Old 27th January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiroy ➡️
Someone told meyou can use a 2nd PC for all your plugins. This sounds awesome but how do they connect to each other?Do I need a second interface?

you won't need a second interface, if you use fx teleport... just an ethernet connection between the two computers.

FX Teleport

best of luck.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➡️
Someone who knows more about it than me can inform you if there's any PC sequencers that can do node processing like Logic can.
I don't know much about it, but for Cubase there's vst system link. You need 2 copies of the sequencer and a second soundcard/interface with asio drivers and a digital connection between the two.
📝 Reply