New Guy with a Question - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Guy with a Question
Old 27th January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
New Guy with a Question

hi everyone,

i seem to have been repeatedly redirected to this site from google for all my sound engineering queries, so i've decided its about time to sign up. heh

anyway im relativly new to this area of music (in any sort of depth anyway), as i've just started my sound engineering university degree. Im facinated by pretty much every aspect of music production, be it live or recording, right down to how every component in a mic or speaker works.

So first questions first, can anyone point me to the really geeky part of the forum? Im really interested in learning about how hardware components work, not just how to use them.

Secondly, iv been slowly building up a collection of equiptment (being a uni student im on a real tight budget) for use in live and recording enviroments. So far my list is rather pitiful, a Yahama MG166FX mixer (usb, which im using to record onto Cubase), and a ShureSM57 for guitar. Now im looking to get the best mic possible for recording vocals and possibly acoustic guitar, but its got to be cheap.

Im looking to spend around £80-100.. i've been looking at some T.Bone ribbon mics (iv read very mixed things about them though), or perhaps going for a condenser. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance.

-Rob
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Scroll down to the geekslutz forum, and all will become clear. If you speak geek, that is...
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The vagaries of the exchange rate have pushed this a little over budget... however, having heard one.... for the price this really is a superb little mic indeed... hm2d
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon ➡️
The vagaries of the exchange rate have pushed this a little over budget... however, having heard one.... for the price this really is a superb little mic indeed... hm2d
yeah thats just a bit out of my price range, too bad the economy is f**ked up right now.. Thanks for the link though, ill see if i can find one cheap somewhere.

edit: if anyone has any other suggestions let me know!
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon ➡️
Looks interesting. A pair for $300 seems like a steal. It has some character.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…